Thunderbolt for $150 through Verizon

Flyer

Reaction score
my upgrade is in June, maybe I can get that price

dafischman

Reaction score
After seeing this thread it got me thinking if I should try to call and get the 1 year pricing, especially since I paid $250 for a 2 year contract. Although I'm not sure if I want to give up 2 years of unlimited 4G at $30 a month.

If I understood you correctly you are under the impression that your 4G pricing is based on your contract length and can change when your contract is over. However, your unlimited 4G pricing won't change as long as you don't alter your 4G data plan. The length of the contract doesn't matter either. In a year if I decide to get a new phone, I won't be altering the data plan on my line but just upgrading the phone and retaining the $30 data plan price.

They call this being grandfathered in, which was one of my deciding factors for getting the Thunderbolt.

No one has confirmed that we will be grandfathered in. Actually, many people believe that when it comes to your next phone/contract, we may be forced to update the data plan to one of their new tiered plans. But until Verizon releases the actual info, it is all conjecture. The only way to truly protect yourself is to get a 2 year plan and hope for the best afterwards.

Josh

Reaction score
Wish I could've paid that. I just dumped Tmobile after 8 years and switched to Verizon. With our corp discount (apparently we're a high-tier client) the TBolt was $200 instead of the $250 shown online.

BubbaRob

Reaction score
I got mine for $229 in the store for a one year contract also. At first, the phone showed $319 in the store but I insisted the sales rep ring it out as if I was going to buy it and it changed to $229. He was very surprised but said it may be due to my corporate discount.

So point of the story is, if you have any type of discount on your account have them ring it out the entire way if they tell you it's showing $319 on a one year deal in the store. You may get the $229 like I did once they get to the end of the order.

Reaction score
Yeah, when I was chatting online with the Verizon rep they couldn't figure out why it was showing $50 cheaper on my end. The guy in the store explained that some companies earn a better rate.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
a believer based on first-hand experience

After seeing this thread it got me thinking if I should try to call and get the 1 year pricing, especially since I paid $250 for a 2 year contract. Although I'm not sure if I want to give up 2 years of unlimited 4G at $30 a month.

If I understood you correctly you are under the impression that your 4G pricing is based on your contract length and can change when your contract is over. However, your unlimited 4G pricing won't change as long as you don't alter your 4G data plan. The length of the contract doesn't matter either. In a year if I decide to get a new phone, I won't be altering the data plan on my line but just upgrading the phone and retaining the $30 data plan price.

They call this being grandfathered in, which was one of my deciding factors for getting the Thunderbolt.

No one has confirmed that we will be grandfathered in. Actually, many people believe that when it comes to your next phone/contract, we may be forced to update the data plan to one of their new tiered plans. But until Verizon releases the actual info, it is all conjecture. The only way to truly protect yourself is to get a 2 year plan and hope for the best afterwards.

Josh

I'll concur with you about my initial comment regarding not changing the 4G data plan and we will be grandfathered in. But maybe this first-hand experience will make some of us feel more at ease. I wanted to activate a multimedia phone, which requires the $9.99 data package on my account without a contract. The phone was previously owned by a friend of mine. My friend contract ended and she was willing to sell me the phone. The Verizon rep couldn't add the phone to my account without having to charge me for the data package. The Verizon rep said that the previous account owner can reactivate the phone on their account without having to pay for the data package because the original activation date of the phone occurred before the policy change on their account not mines.

So I'm going to stand behind what I said based on that experience, until Verizon proves otherwise.

Last edited: