thunderbolt end of life?

wvdroidman

Reaction score
Does anyone know when verizon will quit selling or supporting the thunderbolt? I was told until then they will only replace my thunderbolt because I am having problems with it.
Only other choice is to get one on ebay or craigslist or add another line.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Given that a leak for a new Gingerbread update has just shown up and that there is at least the promise of ICS, I don't think you'll see EOL on this device until next year, in my opinion.

What are your problems?

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
It resets on its own at least 2 or 3 times a week. I did a master reset and it still doesn't help. Called verizon and they will ONLY send me another thunderbolt which won't solve the problem since I just did a master reset 10 days ago and the problem is still there. They checked and I have the latest software and update.

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Probably the only way they'll give you something else is if you've received multiple Thunderbolts and they all have the same problem. Persistence is the key.

I would have them send you a new one. If it acts up, call them and have it replaced again. From what little anecdotal evidence I've seen on xda or rootzwiki, at some point they'll get fed up and just give you a rezound or something.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
I don't want to have to go through all of that trouble. I just want rid of this thing now. I don't have time to call every other week to get it replaced again.

robert70

Reaction score
After you f/r are you reinstalling all of your apps? If so do another f/r and install them one at a time, I was having that same problem with my dx and found out that it was the words with friends app doing it, and big red WILL give you the next model upgrade if you POLITLY raise a fuss, however they do tend to send you two or three refurbished ones first, but I just told them that I refused to take another refurbished dx, so they sent me a brand new x2

Sent from right side of my couch.

OP
W

wvdroidman

Reaction score
they claimed since it still was covered by asurian they would only send me another thunderbolt. Would they send me another phone if I politely told them I didn't want another thunderbolt?

npro1464

Reaction score
If I were you, I'd spring for a Bionic off of Craigslist. You might be able to get a good deal on one, since they're kinda overshadowed by the Razr, Razr Maxx and Nexus. You can get a used Charge for peanuts on CL, if you just need something to hold you over for a little while.

It's amazing how many people were given lemons when they got the Thunderbolt. I should thank my lucky stars my TBolt wasn't such a POS.

Laur3nNewm4n

Reaction score
I think this is one of those situations where you just have to suck it up and deal, to be frank. You'll either need to go ahead and get the replacement, add a line to get a new phone, buy something full-retail, or get something used. Just because this one Thunderbolt is factory reseting itself automatically doesn't mean your replacement will too. HTC and Verizon have said they're going to be releasing ICS at some point for the Thunderbolt, so you won't see an EOL until after that.

I think if it were me, I'd either try a replacement (and hope it works, or hope it doesn't and whine a bit until they send you a newer phone) or get something used like the Bionic that's still a very good choice.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
All our Thunderbolts reset three times a week. I mean that was all over the threads in March, 2011. Root the thing, throw on a custom ROM, flash MR2 if not already done, problem solved.

If Verizon sends you a replacement, it will be Certified Pre-Owned, and I've gotten more crap than phones from that program... However, the Bionic idea isn't too bad, just don't get a replacement from Verizon so long as the thing turns on and otherwise works. Furthermore, I was able to negotiate with a Verizon rep for a similar phone as the replacement. Just hope the CPO "version" of that phone that you will receive is in good shape. Actually, I went from 3 CPO Droid X's to a new Droid Incredible for free back in the day. I guess it all depends, but if Verizon still carries the Bionic (I think it does), try to negotiate for that, since both the Thunderbolt and Bionic are aging and not very popular at all what with the RAZR and Rezound....

Charged

Reaction score
Have had multiple Thunderbolts but none with the problem you describe. All with a problem maintaining their mobile hotspot connection.

armeddroid

Reaction score
I only had one replacement tbolt from VZ replacement program. Never had a problem since my first one. It's a hit or miss when they send you a certified refurbished phone.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I still have the original TB that came out on day 1. As was already mentioned the resetting was an issue, although I was fortunate and didn't have the issue too often. I actually think 3 times a week is not bad considering some were having the problem 2 or 3 times a day. I have mine rooted and use a good ROM and never have the issues with resetting. You will certainly not be given the option to get another phone unless you've had several certified like new phones with the same issue.

jimmyco2008

Reaction score
Vulcan1600 said:
I still have the original TB that came out on day 1. As was already mentioned the resetting was an issue, although I was fortunate and didn't have the issue too often. I actually think 3 times a week is not bad considering some were having the problem 2 or 3 times a day. I have mine rooted and use a good ROM and never have the issues with resetting. You will certainly not be given the option to get another phone unless you've had several certified like new phones with the same issue.

Agreed, I didn't get a new Incredible until after several CPO Droid X's.