Three Google Android Lessons

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by pyro6128, Apr 22, 2010.

1. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

2. Sweettooth

Sweettooth New Member

Link doesn't open for me...

Ahh...left off a little something. ;)

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/21/smallbusiness/google_android/index.htm

Lesson 1 Response? Too much software brings ANY piece of hardware to it's knees, fortunately we Droid owners have a multitasking device that has also been blessed with task killers if necessary.

Lesson 2 Response? Yeah, you can't whisper sweet nothings into your Android device, that'd be awesome, unfortunately it's a piece of software, not a person or AI and doesn't yet read lips or fill in blanks based on accompanying words. You actually have to speak clearly for it to recognize you; go figure.

Lesson 3 response? What mobile screen would he suggest given 4 inches is about as big as you're going to get right now? Just as well there's this amazing new invention that just came out...years ago, called ZOOM. If you're too blind to read text on your mobile screen even whilst utilizing the zoom feature, get some glasses or read it on your computer later.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  3. Romple

Romple New Member

That's definitely one of the most inaccurate articles I've ever read. And I'm bored so I'm going to rip it apart.

1: I'm not sure what his definition of "to its knees". If he means "it hiccups for a second while clearing up ram" then sure, I can see that. Welcome to the world of doing more than one thing at a time. If he means the phone shuts down and is inoperable for lengthy periods of time he's, like most of this article, talking out of his ass.

I'm gonna go with a "lol no?" on that one. Android's designed from the ground up for handling multiple applications and services and it does so 99% of the time with ease. It is not built like "any computer" (i guess he means Windows based PCs?). The Dalvik Virtual Machine that manages almost everything on an Android device is tailor built for multiple applications on mobile devices. IE: NOT like "any computer".

2:
    Really? Funny I sent about a dozen text messages after telling (literally) google nav where I wanted to go alll using voice-to-text and it all worked with only minor errors in the texts. Oh yea I had Pandora playing too. I really find it hard to believe they couldn't get voice recognition to work ONE TIME in 6 months... i call shenanigans.

3: Is this guy blind? I mean he might possibly be blind. In which case I somewhat apologize. But I can't feel sorry for...

Really. It's pretty hard to accept anything as utter bull**** when you read things like "ludicrously crowded". The Android menus are all extremely simple. It's pretty much impossible to have a "crowded' menu on Android. If he really has an issue with the fonts then, what can I say. it's a 3-4" screen and people aren't going to use size 14 Times New Roman.

If he's on the web. Well... yea that zoom feature Sweettooth mentioned might help out a bit...

Seriously I can't believe people get paid to write this ****. It's ridiculous.
  4. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

Haha yea its a pretty terrible article, which is why I had to post it. I knew everyone would love it here
  5. Ataranine

Ataranine New Member

Completely inaccurate. Maybe if he were using a GOOD phone that didn't have MotoBlur on it..

What a tool.
  6. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

If I'm not mistaken the author of that article got his writing degree from MSU...

...Make S**t Up.
  7. iPirate

iPirate New Member

I agree, this guy is on crack

he is complaining about obvious stuff, so if you run 50 apps at once the phone will slow down? really? that doesnt happen on PC? oh it does... ok

voice recognition isn't perfect? amazing, sometimes even I have a hard time understanding someone, I can't imagine a computer getting it correct 100% of the time.

small phone, small screen, small text. its like he had one idea for his article so he made up two more.
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  8. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

So, AFAIK, Blackberries aren't any better at any of his Big Three. They're actually much worse - my wife's Storm is a perfect example. For all the lockups, lost data, crashes, etc, she encounters, she's about ready to chuck it against a wall and steal my Droid.

So, are Blackberries "not ready for business use" either, by this guy's standards? Guess not.
  9. JoeKacz

JoeKacz New Member

As a graduate of a real MSU, I almost got real mad at this.

Then I scrolled down. :)
  10. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

Almost kinda makes you wish you went to ST. Francis University, doesn't it... :biggrin:
  11. Sweettooth

Sweettooth New Member

I'll bet you anything AT&T secretly paid Luke Wilson to type up that article. ;)
  12. Rollingbones

Rollingbones New Member

Interesting... Blackberries are good phones, but they're not the Droid. My wife has a Storm 2 and loves it because it does what she wants. That makes it the best phone for her. When an iPhone crusader told me that the Droid had only 30,000 aps or so compared to the iPhone's 100,000, my response was just how many aps do you think I'm going to put on my phone anyway... If Droid does with 30K and iPhone doesn't with100K.. I'll still take Droid (it does FOR ME what the iPhone doesn't) Hoo-Rah!!!!
  13. Ghostwheel

Ghostwheel Member

My wife wishes she could make her Storm 2 do what she wants. She started with a Storm, and it bricked itself, so Verizon replaced it with a Storm 2. Now she does daily battery pulls, and just lost all her contacts, pics, and documents a couple days ago. Not saying that they're that bad for everyone, but my wife's a small business owner and relies on her cell to keep her in touch with clients, run her calendar, etc. By being unreliable, it's affecting her business, and ticking her off big time.
  14. JoeKacz

JoeKacz New Member

Well played, sir.
  15. Dusty

Dusty Premium Member Premium Member

Ha Ha! Sorry! I used to have a friend back in the day who went to one of the many MSUs. Whenever we got into an friendly arguement I'd ask him where he went to school. When he answered I'd say, "Oh. that must stand for..."
  16. SoDroid

SoDroid Member

The response I wrote to CNNMoney.com regarding the article:

All hardware is built differently and will affect the experience as much as the software. In the article, I feel it is imperative to mention the hardware being used. Not all Android devices are made the same, in fact they differ to a large degree and cannot represent the operating system uniformly or accurately.

The picture in the article appears to be an Android device meant for social use such as The Devour, Backflip, or Cliq. These devices would never be recommended for business use.

I feel it is the responsibility of the author to indicate what hardware he is using as that will affect the experience equally as much as the software. As a result of not doing so, this article is an inaccurate representation of the operating system.

On a side note: I use my DROID for business. I access excel spreadsheets, agency management systems, Microsoft Exchange, PDFs, AND make phone calls simultaneously without a stutter.

Edit: I think I read everything and don't remember any mention of the device(s) used. I hope that's right.
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2010
  17. INSANENEIVIESIS

INSANENEIVIESIS New Member Developer

i guess cnn has alot of iphone owners. lol. sorry cnn that the text doesnt take up the whole screen.
  18. ScoobyDoo27

ScoobyDoo27 New Member

One of my good friends has an iPhone and I don't remember the text being any bigger than that of the text on an Android phone. Am I wrong?
Search tags for this page

android lessons

droid lesson

droid lessons

www.six.google.com