Thoughts on the S10 Series

OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I've had the S10+ for a couple weeks now and my overall assessment is very positive. In general terms it is a better phone in every respect than the Note 8 it replaced. Ergonomics is incredible, however there are a few things that drive me absolutely crazy to the point that I would look for a different phone. Namely, the inadvertent touches destroy the user experience for me. Whether it is in my pocket or not, after trying every option to prevent this from ocurring, I still deal with this daily. Very frustrating. This is the best phone I have owned but I find myself wanting a different device because of it. I also experience no response from time to time when toucimg the screen from time to time. And yes, I have removed the screen protector and changed the appropriate settings. Love the feel of the phone, but I would be lying if I told you I am hoping Samsung will give me an acceptable trade in value on the Note 10 if it means I don't have to put up with this anymore. sorry to be such a Debbie Downer. This is so close to being a perfect device.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Sorry to hear! I have heard about the accidental screen wakes which are supposed to be fixed soon, but an unresponsive screen when touched is not normal. I would contact Samsung about it. Maybe they will replace it for you. Worst thing they can say is no.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

pchain

Reaction score
So I think the culprit to most of my problems was the tap to wake function. I turned it off and most issues went away. Strange. Bummer, I was super excited about that feature finally coming to Samsung after I had it on a previous device. Hopefully they will get it sorted out. In my pocket it was a nightmare!

I have also noticed that Samsung Email glitches out, freezing and closing itself now and then. Seems to happen when I pinch to zoom on an email I have open. Strangely I have noticed this on the Samsung Internet app as well when pinching and zooming. Chrome works fine. My Note 8 never glitched on these same apps. Hopefully they get that worked out, as I've grown to appreciate the Samsung email client and internet app - especially since it ties in with OneUi dark mode.

I can't get my fingerprint reader to work more than half the time, which basically renders it useless. I didn't use it before so I'm not really missing the feature but was hoping it would work better. Hopefully they will get that sorted out as well.

Occasionally I am getting the good old fashioned Samsung lag maybe once a day. I thought they had fixed this since I never experienced it on my Note 8. Not a deal breaker but quite disappointing.

Love this phone otherwise even though it may sound like I don't, lol. I suppose I could factory reset and start over, but I had reset it straight out of the box already, per my normal process with new devices.

I never knew how much I used the LED light - I miss it greatly. I think there's a Samsung app that uses the camera hole, so I may need to try that.

I really like the camera on this thing... Love that the telephoto lens is automatically engaged while zooming too.

So many things to list that I appreciate, but the most impaxtful one is simply the size and weight of the phone itself. I don't think I've handled a more comfortable phone ever.

Is anyone aware of how the S10 series is selling?

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
@pchain I'm reading latest update ASD3 helped with some issues such a FP though unlocked phones haven't received update yet .. I've had success with FP after redoing them.. I didn't press down hard on setup even though it said press hard.. Just used my different holding phone positions during set up.. I disabled Samsung internet and email as I use Google... I can test though to see if same you experiencing... I have package disabler and disabled a bunch of stuff I don't use... I haven't had a hiccup... There are definitely more updates coming so I think the experience will be better let's hope... Like you said it's a great feel in hand phone and hopefully early kinks get worked out..

I'm not sure on the sales.. I read one day record preorders then another day a little over S9 sales... Then disappointing sales.. I don't know who to believe..

S10+ Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So I think the culprit to most of my problems was the tap to wake function. I turned it off and most issues went away. Strange. Bummer, I was super excited about that feature finally coming to Samsung after I had it on a previous device. Hopefully they will get it sorted out. In my pocket it was a nightmare!

I have also noticed that Samsung Email glitches out, freezing and closing itself now and then. Seems to happen when I pinch to zoom on an email I have open. Strangely I have noticed this on the Samsung Internet app as well when pinching and zooming. Chrome works fine. My Note 8 never glitched on these same apps. Hopefully they get that worked out, as I've grown to appreciate the Samsung email client and internet app - especially since it ties in with OneUi dark mode.

I can't get my fingerprint reader to work more than half the time, which basically renders it useless. I didn't use it before so I'm not really missing the feature but was hoping it would work better. Hopefully they will get that sorted out as well.

Occasionally I am getting the good old fashioned Samsung lag maybe once a day. I thought they had fixed this since I never experienced it on my Note 8. Not a deal breaker but quite disappointing.

Love this phone otherwise even though it may sound like I don't, lol. I suppose I could factory reset and start over, but I had reset it straight out of the box already, per my normal process with new devices.

I never knew how much I used the LED light - I miss it greatly. I think there's a Samsung app that uses the camera hole, so I may need to try that.

I really like the camera on this thing... Love that the telephoto lens is automatically engaged while zooming too.

So many things to list that I appreciate, but the most impaxtful one is simply the size and weight of the phone itself. I don't think I've handled a more comfortable phone ever.

Is anyone aware of how the S10 series is selling?

Well I am glad to hear you sorted out some of the really bad stuff. I turned off the double tap too (I know, I loved that feature as well). Never had problems that I knew of, but I heard about the waking, so I figured I would do it to be safe. Hopefully they fix that.

The fingerprint reader drives me nuts. But I think it's cool so I use it lol. First gen tech, gotta love it.

I think your feedback is great, Pchain. It helps others to be informed about the phone. Hopefully software updates fix some things for you.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I know they said unlock is not so secure but I've been trying it for a few days... It's nice and accurate plus fast... I tried fooling it with pics and stuff couldn't do it... BTW lol

S10+ Tapatalk

OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I will try it!

Edit: kind of cool! I like the animation!

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I will try it!

Edit: kind of cool! I like the animation!

Yeah it's cool for sure... I have double tap still enable... I have it passing my lockscreen and disabled fast
13edaa88eed1e433ca8848a25abde071.jpg

S10+ Tapatalk

OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Very cool. Thanks for the tip!

OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
@pchain once you get update re register your fingerprints... Hopefully it helps on your end... Also some reported there is a Biometrics update from the Galaxy store but I don't see that yet on my end...

New one should be like 2.0.8.4 which I don't have
5a45e7fae76fa3fcb27daf6e86d0c4d3.jpg

S10+ Tapatalk

OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Score!! I will probably reset too just got fun.

Thanks for the heads-up!

OP
condor97

condor97

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Wow. HUGE difference in the fingerprint scanner.

Any other new stuff that we know of in this update?

Last edited:

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
Wow. HUGE difference in the fingerprint scanner.

Any other new stuff that we know of in this update?

I don't know what's on the update list.. Though the biometric update is coming separate of the software update..

S10+ Tapatalk