Thoughts on the Motoactv?

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Does anyone have one? I've been wanting one for a while now and they're on sale at BestBuy. Does anyone own one? Can you give me your opinion on it? I see they've been pretty good with the updates. I just wanted to hear from some thoughts from my fellow Bionic owners about it.

bacchus71

Reaction score
Not sure of the deal on Bestbuy, but the 8 Gig version is $200 on Amazon with free shipping and wrist strap until the end of the month. I just got mine today. Simple enough setup and will test it out this weekend.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using DroidForums

lykofos

Reaction score
Didn't really see the need for one. I just use my Bionic, Amphipod armband, and Endomondo Pro app. Does essentially the same same thing, eh?

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Didn't really see the need for one. I just use my Bionic, Amphipod armband, and Endomondo Pro app. Does essentially the same same thing, eh?

Not really, not for me at least. There's a huge difference in size and weight; I kinda like the idea of something small on my wrist or clipped onto my clothes vs. fiddling with a Bionic strapped to my arm. The music app is a lot more intuitive; I like that it learns what songs push me and makes a list out of it. It's supposed to have all these dedicate activity options to closer calculate my workout; the last update added something like 40 activities to its list, which would come in handy for me since I've been expanding my gym repertoire. It can link with my foot pad and heartrate band so I can better track my distance and heartrate. I also saw they came out with a new accessory that hooks up to bikes and can track your speed, cadence, and heartrate, which is perfect for my spin classes. Plus, it doubles as a watch, so it's easy to strap on and not forget when I go on one of my all day hikes and wanna travel light. I read up a lot on it and it all sounded really good for what I wanted to accomplish, which is something more than just occasional running. I wanted to know what the list of 40 activities were since I do a lot of different physical activities. I bit the bullet and just bought one today and will be setting it up after work. Hopefully it'll work out for me.

lykofos

Reaction score
Very cool, it does quite a bit more then! Endomondo has that feature too where it lets you know what music was playing and what speed you were running at, but you have to tweak the playlist yourself. And it lets you choose which activity you're doing as well. I already have my playlists made up, so once I start the app/music I can complete my 4-6 mi jog w/o even touching the phone. That brand armband actually holds the phone pretty well, and I don't even notice it's there while jogging (but I do weightlifting as well and have a pretty big arm). I can see how the Bionic weight could affect people with smaller arms.

I saw that motoactv is water-resistant too. That's one caveat of using the bionic on an armband, don't want to get it anywhere near water. Wonder how motoactv would do while jogging in a light/mild rain? Let us know how you like it after testing it out.

gsbjackson

Reaction score
Had mine since Christmas... love it... one word of warning on the "water resistant" feature... kinda true but it's still an electronic device. I wore mine in the steamroom at the gym and it stopped working... got it replaced under warranty... water resisitant is not water proof... just saying!

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Well, I've had mine for a few weeks now and have put it through its paces. And it's awesome. I wear it everyday like a pedometer 'cause I like to see steps taken and calories burned. I don't go to the gym without it, and now that I can add really specific activities to it, I'm tracking all my spin and aerobic classes. I also took it up to Canada a couple weekends ago and mapped out my walk to and from Niagara Falls. It was the first time I used the GPS and tracked an outdoor activity. After getting back home, I plugged it into my computer and my route popped up on the screen along with time taken, paces, speed, and total calories burned. I really like it; I'm so glad I finally bit the bullet and bought it. Plus, it's Motorola, so it's tough as nails. I've dropped it several times onto streets and sidewalks (and a grimy public restroom) and it still looks pristine.

mattman5000

Reaction score
What kind of battery life are you getting with it? I remember reading reviews when it first came out. People were saying they could only get a couple of hours on a charge.

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
Battery life is really good. I throw mine on the charger about every other night out of habit, but even if I go two days without charging, by that second night I'm still at 70%. I've made it four days without any issues before, and probably could've gone for a fifth, but I usually remember to toss it on the charger since I keep it right next to my phone. If I'm using it for a whole day's worth of outside activities (using the GPS the whole time), I can get about a day or so.

Plus, they just announced another update for it today---golf!! I'm not much of a golfer, but that free update in itself is awesome. In fact, I'm gonna download it right now...... :)

lykeme

Reaction score
I could see biking with it, but it's just much for me to consider running with it.
I can't run with anything more than an iPod shuffle. I don't have to think about it or mess with it.

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I could see biking with it, but it's just much for me to consider running with it.
I can't run with anything more than an iPod shuffle. I don't have to think about it or mess with it.

That makes no sense. It's the same size as the shuffle; a little thinner, actually. It has a wristband, like the shuffle. It has a clip, like the shuffle. It has a touchscreen, like the shuffle. It pretty much works exactly like the shuffle. If you have no problem running with a shuffle, you shouldn't have any problem running with the ACTV.

brainwash1

Reaction score
That makes no sense. It's the same size as the shuffle; a little thinner, actually. It has a wristband, like the shuffle. It has a clip, like the shuffle. It has a touchscreen, like the shuffle. It pretty much works exactly like the shuffle. If you have no problem running with a shuffle, you shouldn't have any problem running with the ACTV.

You're thinking of the Nano. The shuffle is tiny and has no display.

Sent from my XT875 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
You're thinking of the Nano. The shuffle is tiny and has no display.

Oh yeah. I am. Still similar to the ACTV as far as size and music tuning goes, though... Diff'rent strokes, I guess. My boyfriend loves his shuffle; it's been beat up, ran over, and scratched to hell for years and it's still ticking. He takes it when he runs, but I stand by my ACTV. It's just as easy and intuitive to use as his shuffle, but it just does a crapload more.

brainwash1

Reaction score
Oh yeah. I am. Still similar to the ACTV as far as size and music tuning goes, though... Diff'rent strokes, I guess. My boyfriend loves his shuffle; it's been beat up, ran over, and scratched to hell for years and it's still ticking. He takes it when he runs, but I stand by my ACTV. It's just as easy and intuitive to use as his shuffle, but it just does a crapload more.

I wasn't saying the shuffle was better.
I use Endomondo Pro and it's great. It can also connect with heart rate and cadence monitors. There are many times I'd rather not have my Bionic strapped to my arm, but I can't justify the cost of a motoactv, or any other watch-type thing over $100.

OP
Lakilaulea

Lakilaulea

Reaction score
I wasn't saying the shuffle was better.
I use Endomondo Pro and it's great. It can also connect with heart rate and cadence monitors. There are many times I'd rather not have my Bionic strapped to my arm, but I can't justify the cost of a motoactv, or any other watch-type thing over $100.

Yeah, the ACTV isn't for everyone. They are a bit pricey if you only want it for casual use. It took me a few months to talk myself into eating that price tag, and even then I only did it once it went on sale. I'm happy with it, though. I love my Bionic, but I don't want it strapped to my arm when I'm working out. And I definitely get some use out of the MOTOACTV website. It's been able to keep me motivated so far, which is something I definitely need with swimsuit season right around the corner.