Thoughts on PenTile qHD display please

AmishButcher

Reaction score
I am getting a new phone, and leaning toward the M. My biggest question at this point is the PenTile qHD display. To those who either own or have played with an M, is there any visible negatives to the display? I've read a bit of info on the PenTile display and it's negatives, but I'm also coming from a DINC 2, so a GameBoy would be an upgrade...haha. Also, I'm realistic and not expecting a 720p type display, but just want a decent upgrade over my current phone. I appreciate any thoughts from you guys!

Mr.Craig

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I'm used to it now. Switched over from a Droid 2 Global so I had a few days where I had to get used to it.

I don't really have any complaints but I also don't have much to compare it to.

Badger1313

Reaction score
It looks the same as the Bionic. Unless you are hyper critical, you will probably enjoy the display.

diablo81588

Reaction score
It looks the same as the Bionic. Unless you are hyper critical, you will probably enjoy the display.

It's a different type of pentile than the bionic has. In addition, the bionics screen is a LCD, where the M is AMOLED.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Depends on whether you have the eyesight of a tweener and hold the phone 8" from your face or not...LOL! But seriously, at comfortable arm's length you can't see any of the artifacts that some complain about (like looking through a screen door). I've had the RAZR since prior to the new year, and now the RAZR MAXX and it's a non-issue for me. Don't get me wrong...it DOES have that appearance but only at what I consider to be uncomfortable distance from my face, and even then, I'd need reading glasses to see it clearly at that distance. YRMV

Badger1313

Reaction score
It's a different type of pentile than the bionic has. In addition, the bionics screen is a LCD, where the M is AMOLED.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk 2

I said it looks like the Bionic. Side by side they are almost identical, even looking at the icons with a magnifying glass.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score

I apologize for being nit-picky, but that's actually not totally true. Without writing an essay since it's so late, the only real similarities between the Bionic's and Razr M's screens are the fact that they're both pentile and both have a qHD resolution. Beyond that, they have a very different look and feel, and different screen tech altogether.

The M's screen is, literally, identical to the Razr and Razr Maxx. Moto seems to have tweaked the software a bit to make colors a little brighter and even more saturated, but otherwise they're identical.

Compared to the Inc 2, you might actually notice more pixelation in areas like the battery and clock, or text on websites. That's the pentile working it's "magic". However, the tradeoffs are worth it, IMHO. The colors are warmer, brighter (sometimes a bit oversaturated), and b/c of the screen (Super AMOLED), the blacks are deep, rich blacks. It's just an overall "warmer" and richer experience than the SLCD on the Inc 2.

Last edited:
OP
A

AmishButcher

Reaction score
So went ahead and picked up my M today, thanks to all those who conributed opinions. Played some of my fav games, watched some YouTube and went to some web pages, yeah, it's awesome...a significant improvement over the now deceased Dinc2. RIP

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Does it have the tint to it that the razrs have at low brightness levels?

mgrande

Reaction score
Is screen in the m the same as the current razr? I've played with the maxx at vzw and liked the screen and recently went to check the M out and the first thing I noticed was the the bad screen. It looked grainy to me.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Isn't that screen better for sun light view?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

tc1

Reaction score
I had a DROID razr original with its "terrible" pentile screen.

I have an HTC rezound now with its 720p lcd screen and high ppi count.

I actually like the razrs screen better, it's bright, extremely colorful and you can see it in the day light.

To me movies and games look better on the razrs screen.

dan.dar

Reaction score
I had the fascinate with original 800x480 pentile 4" screen. Then had HTC Rhyme (don't ask) with regular 800x480 lcd screen. Now the M. The M is as good as the fascinate at color rendition and pictures, but both pale in comparison to the rhyme displaying text on websites and in Kindle. Low res Pentile is just not good for text.

jumphour

Reaction score
I apologize for being nit-picky, but that's actually not totally true. Without writing an essay since it's so late, the only real similarities between the Bionic's and Razr M's screens are the fact that they're both pentile and both have a qHD resolution. Beyond that, they have a very different look and feel, and different screen tech altogether.

The M's screen is, literally, identical to the Razr and Razr Maxx. Moto seems to have tweaked the software a bit to make colors a little brighter and even more saturated, but otherwise they're identical.

Compared to the Inc 2, you might actually notice more pixelation in areas like the battery and clock, or text on websites. That's the pentile working it's "magic". However, the tradeoffs are worth it, IMHO. The colors are warmer, brighter (sometimes a bit oversaturated), and b/c of the screen (Super AMOLED), the blacks are deep, rich blacks. It's just an overall "warmer" and richer experience than the SLCD on the Inc 2.

You're right about that. I have a Bionic, and my dad just got the M. His screen is SOOO much nicer than mine. The blacks are incredible next to my washed out gray ones. I never bothered looking for the pixels....I was just so impressed with the AMOLED next to mine. People always talk about blown out colors not being very realistic on those, but next to mine, it's so pretty! I guess there are always trade-offs though.....my phone is always on 4G, and his M is only on 4G for about a minute after a restart.