Thoughts on Near Field Communication and this phone not having it?

Godric

Reaction score
OG Droid owner here, contract has been up since last month and strongly considering the razr. Its an awesome phone but my only complaints is the fact that it doesn't have ics (yet) and NFC has been confirmed as not on it. It sounds like a cool feature to have, but I haven't had it before...do you think it will be an important feature in the next two years?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums

r314bd

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about it. NFC will definitely become more popular, but I'm always weary of the first device with a new piece of technology. I prefer waiting until a few of the devices have rolled out and they've gone through the initial guinea pig consumer phase.

Vito.a

Reaction score
I don't think NFC is a reason not to buy the Razr.
Credit card companies are going away from the magnetic strip, but NFC is still too new to tell if its headed that direction. I am told Europe is already using a new system, but its not NFC.

lobo13

Reaction score
Don't believe NFC is all that right now. You need companies to support NFC and not too many here in the US. Also, to use Android Beam you'd need another phone that uses that tech. So, I don't think NFC is a big deal right now. In the future. Yeah, but that's when there is actually support for it. I am thinking 2-3 years down the line.

J

JriderG

I personally would like to have the option in my device. Later on you may be able to do some wicked stuff with NFC

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I personally would like to have the option in my device. Later on you may be able to do some wicked stuff with NFC

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums
I agree. In the future there could be some pretty cool things happening with NFC.

LOADIE

Reaction score
NFC will be available on micro sd cards. this should make most all of our devices nfc capable. I believe sandisk has one already

wcjeep

Reaction score
lack of nfc is why i'm going to pass the razr. Either Nexus or wait for something down the road. Too bad. I'd like the idea of nano coating for splash protection.

Reaction score
Get the galaxy nexus. The razr is going to be sporting the 4430 processor while the nexus has the 4460.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

BenB

Reaction score
NFC will be available on micro sd cards. this should make most all of our devices nfc capable. I believe sandisk has one already

I've heard others mention this as well. But, a search on the interwebs doesn't leads me to believe that this is as readily available as I would hope. I see lots of patents and press but that's about it.

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I think this technology is going to advance quickly, 2 years is a long time in the tech world, which is the main reason I'm steering towards the Nexus. Unless, it is confirmed that the Razor will support NFCs later. I really like this phone, and Motorola. I've had the Charge since release and it's been a very good phone, it's just not Motorola.

Androidatic

Reaction score
Do yourself a favor and go to a local mall or shopping center and see how many shops and stores are using NFC. That should make your decision an easy one.

Something interesting that I found.

Secure tokens will cause issues with NFC and battery swapping on the Verizon Galaxy Nexus | Android Central
One of the little bombshells dropped from the Verizon Galaxy Nexus training materialsconcerns NFC and the swappable battery. Because the NFC chip resides on the battery itself, the hardware changes when you change the battery. Not only does your replacement battery have to have NFC capabilities, but the system and NFC chip use a token to match things together for security. We're speculating that ISIS requires this sort of extra layer, but that's just an educated guess. Note that this doesn't mean things won't work, Verizon simply says:

Customers attempting to use more than one battery with the Galaxy Nexus may have less than an optimal experience since the NFC chip within the battery must register a token between the device and the battery each time the battery is swapped.

Less than optimal may mean different things to different people, so this may mean that it takes a bit longer for the system to initialize, NFC settings will need adjusted, not all apps will work properly, or the whole enchilada may not work. We'll know more when the Verizon version hits the shelves. Hopefully, that's soon.

Kinda defeats the purpose of having a removable battery.