Thoughts on Home++

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by dirtysanchez, Mar 30, 2010.

1. dirtysanchez

dirtysanchez New Member

Hello All,

Found Home++ and so far love this over the stock home screen, BUT just wondering what some of the down sides to Home++ (if any) and looking for other home replacements like this one to play with.

Introducing Home++ (Home++ by Intuitit)
  2. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

You should try the helix launcher. It does what Home++ does, but works on 2.1 and supports live wallpapers. It also allows you to place apps in the bottom of the screen.
  3. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

All of the home replacements have pros and cons. I used Home++ for quite a while and used it alternating with GDE. The only real problem I had with Home++ was that I tended to have more FCs than the others I tried. That really isn't saying much as the FCs were rare, but there were more for me.

I suggest giving the others a try. GDE is nice, but costs a couple of bucks. It also has a tray that you can stick several apps in one 1x4 space. Helix and Panda are free, as well as others.
  4. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I second the vote for helix.

I used Home++ because it gave me permanent icons on the bottom row for things like email, browser, etc. Helix does the same thing, and it does it better.
  5. jasonb

jasonb New Member

i have tried them all and prefer GDE. i even prefer GDE over Helix. i used helix for a week (so i did give it a fair chance) and then came back to a much updated GDE.

also, i have never once had even a single force close with GDE. it's completely stable.
  6. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

I used home ++ for a while. Then I started getting fcs and noticing lag. I removed it and was amazed at how much faster my phone was. Now I use helix and have zero problems. Home ++ needs to update more and get their act together.
  7. Phillipsave

Phillipsave Member

I use Home++ and it works fine, with hardly any force closes, and when they do come, I just click "wait", and then it's perfect. I like all the features, especially the bottom phone/internet icons, that I have personalized; except that live wallpaper only appears on the lock screen, not the 5 home screens I have. However, I found out that I don't like live wallpaper on them anyway, the screens are then too busy for all of my icons. So, I am very happy with it, overall.
  8. Slipstream

Slipstream New Member

I switch back and forth between Home++ and Helix. I'm not rooted, so I don't have the performance benefits of overclocking, so Helix can tend to run a bit slow for me at times. I also don't like the fact that the icons in the quick launcher get jaggy and distorted (sucker for perfection!).

Home++ has been buggy in the past, but the most recent update seemed to make the entire thing fly on my device. Very smooth, very polished, and does everything I want it to do. If Helix fixes the icon problem, and can make the notification bar disappear (which allegedly 1.3Beta does) I may have a tough time choosing, though.
  9. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

Yet another vote for helix here!
  10. toastedoats

toastedoats New Member

I love Home++ but lots of force closes with it in my experience and seems like others as well.

I am using Helix Launcher at the moment and its 100% stable and almost as nice for me
  11. Big Lou

Big Lou New Member

The one thing I miss from Home++ is the continuous scroll. It's nice being able to swipe from screen 1 to screen 7 without going through 2-6. Even though you can double tap to switch to any screen, the continuous scroll was just nice.
  12. Rated_R

Rated_R New Member

I use Home++ exclusively. I do not and have not ever had the "sluggish" feelings or force closeses that other people complain about. You can make live wallpapers work but you have to install the .15 version that you can get from the website in my sig. Being able to hide the taskbar is one of my favorite features.

Helix is a close second.
  13. GoGators

GoGators New Member

I use Helix2 and it works great. I rarely use landscape (the fonts overlap a bit) so not much of an issue. I have not tried GDE. If it is worth paying $5, I would. I am going to research that one.

Edit: OK I am done with my GDE research. It has some cool features (cube), but lacks the shortcuts at the bottom, not to mention is costs $ and new themes are not free either. Helix for free is a keeper.
  14. viper1549

viper1549 New Member

ehhh, if helix worked as smooth (or even close) to as does home++ i would not have an argument, but home++ is just way to snappy to suggest helix over it.. if home++ supported live wallpapers while remaining as quick as it is, it would literally be the ultimate home imo
  15. viper1549

viper1549 New Member

omg your my hero.. i knew i was being an idiot neglecting to go to the home++ site.. thanks dude seriously.. its what i have been waiting for..
  16. jasonb

jasonb New Member

GDE does have shortcuts at the bottom. you can put two apps down there.

this is GDE with the obsidian theme. i have a phone and a browser shortcut on the bottom.
    [​IMG]

i also really like the scrolling application dock widgets. i use 3 of them and they are awesome. i have nothing but widgets on my 5 home screens and i never have any force closes or laggyness. i don't know why GDE isn't more popular, my guess is the price. i have used Helix, Home++ and i am going to stick with GDE.
  17. Burtonbell

Burtonbell New Member

I downloaded the file from the website and it doesn't work for me. Do I have to uninstall Home ++ first then reinstall?
  18. Rated_R

Rated_R New Member

Yes you do.
  19. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 New Member

GDE does NOT have the ability to place apps on the bottom, you can only choose between like 6 preset shortcuts....
  20. davidbehrns

davidbehrns New Member

I just installed Helix over the 2.1 update and am lovin every minute of it. I was hoping 2.1 would give me more home screens but it ended up not mattering because Helix will go up to 7. I love the 4 shortcuts it gives you at the very bottom of the screen. It also supports the live wallpaper which I got after the upgrade and it is pretty cool. I'm not sure what something constantly updating the screen does to the battery but I'm going to find out