Thoughts on custom roms, experimental project

mssmison

Reaction score
coming from an android ported device that could run any custom rom I have a hard time believing that we can't load custom roms on the milestone even though the bootloader is locked.
So in the interest of experimentation I've compiled a custom init that will read the init.rc from /system/init.rc instead of /init.rc.
The idea is pretty simple, using the standard boot.img the android system starts, then using a system service (like mot_boot_mode) for example, we stop the system and execute the /system/init instead which starts the android system again this time reading from /system/init.rc. I've had limited success but am looking for some knowledgable people to work with on this project.
Let me know if you're interested in helping to develop this (and not just test it :) )
And no, before everyone asks, the goal is not to get a sense based build running, as there are too many framework calls to the ril that aren't implimented in the motorola ril. I'm thinking the cyanogen based builds would be great, as I've used them in the past and the source is available to be compiled for the droid/milestone hardware.

Last edited:

nizam1

Reaction score
coming from an android ported device that could run any custom rom I have a hard time believing that we can't load custom roms on the milestone even though the bootloader is locked.
So in the interest of experimentation I've compiled a custom init that will read the init.rc from /system/init.rc instead of /init.rc.
The idea is pretty simple, using the standard boot.img the android system starts, then using a system service (like mot_boot_mode) for example, we stop the system and execute the /system/init instead which starts the android system again this time reading from /system/init.rc. I've had limited success but am looking for some knowledgable people to work with on this project.
Let me know if you're interested in helping to develop this (and not just test it :) )
And no, before everyone asks, the goal is not to get a sense based build running, as there are too many framework calls to the ril that aren't implimented in the motorola ril. I'm thinking the cyanogen based builds would be great, as I've used them in the past and the source is available to be compiled for the droid/milestone hardware.

I think the Android-Hilfe forum is a much better place for this !
Much more development there then any other forum.
Why dont you try your luck there?
A few forummers like RinTinTigger and ChrisDroid know some reasonable english as well.

OP
M

mssmison

Reaction score
yeah, I posted there as well so we'll see how it goes :)

OP
M

mssmison

Reaction score
As an update I've been successfull in porting the latest CM Mod to the milestone. There's some kinks that I'm working out (wifi and a couple others) and I'll post something to share if you're all interested?
:)

averma1

Reaction score
As an update I've been successfull in porting the latest CM Mod to the milestone. There's some kinks that I'm working out (wifi and a couple others) and I'll post something to share if you're all interested?
:)

I'd be interested in testing that, is it fairly stable?

OP
M

mssmison

Reaction score
Seems quite stable yup, I've yet to put it through it's paces though, I've got wifi fixed up, just working through a couple more things.

landroid

Reaction score
ohh men that sounds good, i'll keep waiting, so hope you tell us how to do it soon, pretty anxious :icon_eek:

landroid

Reaction score
hey men, can u just post it like a ALPHA or a BETA, please i'll love it

intruda119

Reaction score
I would love to help out with this. Send me a pm

Sent from my Milestone using Tapatalk

OP
M

mssmison

Reaction score
Seems quite stable yup, I've yet to put it through it's paces though, I've got wifi fixed up, just working through a couple more things.
Wow are you the same mssmison that developed Android roms for the Kaiser at XDA? I actually used to run your roms before I upgraded to the Milestone I guess I'll be using your custom roms on this device now soon.

Yup :) That's me
I just want to get google apps fixed and I'll put up a beta build. It's super stable and super fast. With some luck I'll have it figured out tomorrow and will post here for everyone to try.

nizam1

Reaction score
Wow are you the same mssmison that developed Android roms for the Kaiser at XDA? I actually used to run your roms before I upgraded to the Milestone I guess I'll be using your custom roms on this device now soon.

Yup :) That's me
I just want to get google apps fixed and I'll put up a beta build. It's super stable and super fast. With some luck I'll have it figured out tomorrow and will post here for everyone to try.

Great job man.Fantastic news :icon_ banana::icon_ banana: