Thoughts & Expectations Of Verizon's "Rule The Air" Meeting 1.11.11 @ 11AM

Discussion in 'Non-Android Smart Phones' started by ipawd1, Jan 10, 2011.

?

What Will You Expect from the 1.11.11 Meeting?

1. The Announcement of 4g Pricing

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Announcement of the iphone

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. The Explanation of Recent Changes [14 day returns, etc..]

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. A Blueprint/ leftovers from the CES Event.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Really Dont Care

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jkhonea

jkhonea DF Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +20
    I've bounced my MacBook Pro off a stone hearth, the corner of it actually. All I had to do was replace the dent in the back cover. Machine has never skipped a beat. A plastic case laptop would have been history. Also get much better battery time out of the Mac than any laptop I've seen. Four plus hours without a problem. The screen is also superior to others I've owned. And I have owned A LOT of laptops. HP, Sony, Dell, Gateway, Compaq, IBM, just to name some.

2. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,599
    I must admit JK that apple care is the reason why I left apple. I was the typical apple fanboy who loved the iphone 3gs. At&t and apple care gave me the run around and I said forget it (in pleasant terms) and went verizon droid and haven't looked back. Apple needs to do a better job ensuring their stuff. I can get warranty to cover loss, damage, or theft for every other device. But apple in order to cover damage you have to go through best buy. That is ridiculous.

3. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +293
    See, that makes sense. I'm talking people who pay retail. I can almost buy two Dell's for that price.

Yeah, for equivalent price lightweight, stylish. I can dig that. Kinda like my HP Envy, although I really didn't want a 15" screen. 13-14" is what I like but didn't have quad cores for those at the time.

4. jkhonea

Ratings:
    +20
    I don't understand this part. Why was that? I always buy my Apple items either from the Apple Store or online through Apple, so don't know if that made a difference.

5. elvis_marmaduke

elvis_marmaduke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    On the point about apple not using their own stuff anymore; back when they DID it was justified paying that much (my uncle had a quad core back in like 01 or something) but now its just the same intel based hardware... so the products changed.... but not the ppricing? How does that work?

Sent from my Droid

6. jkhonea

Ratings:
    +20
    Oh, retail? No WAY will I pay retail on Apple. That's what the refurb store is for. :D

I'm looking at the 27" iMac now and it runs about $1400 refurbished for the i3. If it was retail, it would be like $1800. No, there is no way I would pay that. That's the thing, you have to watch the pricing closely as well. Like I said, the refurbs on Apple, unlike the Droid horror stories I have heard, are meticulous.

7. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +293
    Well, what you don't get in tech they make up with in marketing. A LOT of marketing to pay for. You get the privilege of paying more for your machine in order to feel better about your purchase.

8. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +293
    I don't know why anyone would buy a refurb phone, just pay the few extra bucks for new. But I realize there were a lot of complaints here about insurance refurbs. However, who knows because the complainers are the ones most likely to go post on a message board to vent.

Same thing with Dell refurbs. Plenty of horror stories around the web but no idea what the actual deal is. I basically run my laptops into the ground and then just buy new, typically mid-range unless I need something for work which is why I stepped-up to the quad core.

Actually hoping this is the last PC I buy. If I can make it a year or two I expect my phone to do 95% of what I need the laptop for :)

9. pc747

pc747 DF Administrator Staff Member Rescue Squad

Ratings:
    +1,599
    My brother bought his iphone from the apple store and he cracked his screen twice since he bought it. The first time he had to go to a bootleg guy to fix it and the second time, well lets say it is till cracked. You can not take a cracked screen back to apple with out paying an arm and a leg...but if you have extended warranty on the droid x and you crack your screen you just gotta call up verizon. Apple care only cover damage that from defect. I was going to buy a macbook last year and when they said I had to pay almost 12oo for a new macbook and 60 for apple care that did not cover water, lost, or accidental handling, hung up. Because I can go to best buy and get a PC for 700 and pay an extra 100 bucks and can literally hit that thing with a sledge hammer and take it back to get another one. The money you pay for apple products compare to their counterparts its sad they do not offer opportunity for more protection.

10. elvis_marmaduke

elvis_marmaduke Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for proving my point hehehe ;)

Sent from my Droid

11. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +10
    Yeah, but your apple "care" is $100 and only an extended warranty. maybe that doesnt really mean much with an ipod, but with the iphone, its a complete joke. and if you have no warranty, youre SOL. my ipod was 1-2 months out of warranty, and it took a dump on me. i called apple CS to ask them a question about something that i'd heard might fix the issue...they wouldnt even listen to my question. i literally argued with them for over an hour! they kept saying something like "$39,99 per question"...i was astonished. eventually i annoyed them enough to give me a good enough answer. this is just 1 out over well over 100 things that i hate about apple's business model...no CS for life. never in my life, except with computers, have i been told that i cannot get CS for something i purchased. that freakin ipod cost me $350!! it should come with CS for life. and even when ive been out of a Dell warranty, i at least can get some questions answered. maybe no warranty repairs, but theres SOME kind of support. talking about this gets me too fired up, i gotta stop :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

12. kodiak799

kodiak799 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +293
    LOL, have you dealt with Dell CS recently? Because I'm not sure that holds true anymore after they basically gutted their home/personal CS support.

13. jkhonea

Ratings:
    +20
    If you're out of warranty, you're out of warranty. Period. That's the same with most every company. Tried calling customer service for Microsoft and getting free help?

14. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +10
    no, not recently. i actually purchased their like 4-5 year extended warranty lol. glad i did too. this thing never gave me any problems. but as the years went on, i spilled various crumbs over the keyboard. i guess it built up and the "N" key stopped working. i could feel some junk under there. called up dell, they shipped me a new keyboard, overnight, to my hotel cause i was on a business trip...that was pretty sweet. but on my old inspiron 9100, i didnt have any complaints about out-of-warranty CS...and i did call it a few times.

15. Big Ry

Big Ry Active Member

Ratings:
    +10
    no, thats NOT the same. im not talking about repairs, im talking about CUSTOMER SERVICE. Im a customer...i deserve service. NEVER been a problem with anything else ive ever bought...EVER.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.