Those who came from D1 to DX

Mamaperk

Reaction score
My dx should be here in a few days.
How long does it take to get used to the larger screen, different location of back, home, menu buttons, etc? Is it basically the same feel as the original droid or does it take some getting used to ?

Also, will this large screen ruin smaller size screens for you from here on out? ;)

Sherry
Sent from Droid

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Sherry, it doesn't take much getting used to at all, it's lighter, has a larger screen, and almost identical functions as the original Droid minus hard keyboard. Preinstalled Swype is great. Only problem is softer volume, which should be corrected in 2.2 update. However, I took my D1 out a few times, and it seems so much smaller, clunkier and metallic now, would be hard to go back at this point.
Jasmo from NJ

avt123

Reaction score
How long does it take to get used to the larger screen, different location of back, home, menu buttons, etc? Is it basically the same feel as the original droid or does it take some getting used to ?

Also, will this large screen ruin smaller size screens for you from here on out? ;)

Sherry
Sent from Droid

Not long at all. I was actually use to it right away, it felt more natural for my hands.

And yes, smaller screens are ruined now. I wont go lower than 4 inches from here on out. 3.7 (Droid screen) looks insanely small now.

smalltowngirl13

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force 2
Twitter
smalltownlife13

Sherry
Sent from Droid

The same as everyone else - the screen is an automatic WOW how did I use the D1 for so long...the hard keys - once you hit the wrong one by mistake, you will go oops and it will be secondhand in no time...

I like the feel of the X over the D1 as one other poster said - it is a thinner phone and feels more natural than what the D1 did...and most definitely, if you put the X beside the D1 - you will be amazed...it seems so small...

Enjoy and congrats on the X!!

OP
M

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Ahhh that's something that concerns me a little ... loving that huge screen too much.. lol i guess we have to hope that the trend doesn't go toward smaller phones again.

Sherry
Sent from Droid

Phillipsave

Reaction score
Don't worry, so many people love them after they get used to them, that there's no going back, they're here to stay.

avt123

Reaction score
Don't worry, so many people love them after they get used to them, that there's no going back, they're here to stay.

Yea. Devices like the DX and Evo are very successful. I'm sure we will see more and more 4.3 inch screens.

accellpo

Reaction score
It takes some time to get used to the button configuration. Its a huge improvement over the soft keys that I pressed on accident all the time. Yes, the huge screen will ruin smaller screens for you. I look at my D1 and say, im never going back. And as far as the size of the DX, dont worry, its thinner and not as heavy with the same build quality. The huge boost in memory is also a huge improvement. I don't care if they ever get apps2sd totally figured out with 8GB of storage for apps. And the increased RAM is great for overall performance.

richjacksonkc

Reaction score
It takes some time to get used to the button configuration. Its a huge improvement over the soft keys that I pressed on accident all the time.

..agreed they are a huge improvement.. except for when I'm laying in bed and my wife is sleeping.. the clicking of the buttons is a little loud.. I wish there was a soft key or on screen alternative for the buttons at times...

The Rick

Reaction score
it took me about 5 seconds to be honest. I never used the hard button keyboard unless I was typing the name of a backup file.
The hardest part for me was typing one handed on swype was much easier on the d1

Phillipsave

Reaction score
It takes some time to get used to the button configuration. Its a huge improvement over the soft keys that I pressed on accident all the time.

..agreed they are a huge improvement.. except for when I'm laying in bed and my wife is sleeping.. the clicking of the buttons is a little loud.. I wish there was a soft key or on screen alternative for the buttons at times...

Rich Jack, when you are lying in bed, go to settings, sound and display, media volume, and lower or raise it as much as you want. That will take care of the clicking sounds, and result in a problem free marital life.:icon_ banana:

msuperbauer

Reaction score
All around a MUCH more impressive phone! The big screen is gorgeous (and somehow the phone is significantly more pocketable?!) The speed is amazing, no lag at all, (I was never rooted on my D1) And the battery life is somehow on par with the D1! You won't be able to go back after a week with the Dx! Good luck!

OP
M

Mamaperk

Reaction score
Thanks. :)
It is arriving tomorrow.
I can't wait.

Sherry
Sent from Droid