This wireless charging business

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
So I'm a noob to the wireless charging stuff, now that I'm thinking about a G2 I'm curious about the Verizon exclusive capability. So basically I have a few questions:

Does the Verizon exclusive come with the charger in box or is it sold separately (defeating the purpose)?
Are the charging speeds inferior to a USB connection? If so how long can I expect to take from empty to full charge with the 3,000 battery?
Will a simple case prevent charging on the wireless charger or can the energy penetrate simple plastics and rubbers?

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The phones that can make use of the wireless charging that are available now all require that you purchase the wireless charger separately. It will be slower charging. It's a convenience or a gimmick, take your pick. ;)

OP
Hugh Jass

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
The phones that can make use of the wireless charging that are available now all require that you purchase the wireless charger separately. It will be slower charging. It's a convenience or a gimmick, take your pick. ;)

In that case, I think I'll side with gimmick. I figure buying full retail is expensive enough.

scott craft

Reaction score
I've had a Lumia 822 and now an HTC 8X with wireless charging and I really like it. It's not as fast as using a wall charger, but for charging overnight it's fine. Wireless charging certainly isn't necessary, but the convenience is nice.

Gandolfthewhite

Reaction score
Yeah, I have it. Its a decent charger. It works with a case but you have to find the sweet spot. It does take longer to charge than plugging it in directly but it is a good convenience. It gets warm when charging but technically, its inducing a voltage on ct's, which heat is a byproduct. Safe and indicates when charged .It's pretty cool though. I would recommend it. I bought it through amazon.

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

GrumpyOldGeek

Reaction score
I have one of these and I like it. Very convenient and I also use it with my Nexus 7 2nd generation. And get this, I bought it for less at a Verizon store, $39.00, even with tax it came out cheaper than Amazon.
Keep in mind, there's the argument that wireless charging may shorten your battery life. Google wireless charging and you'll find out more.

YellowJacket

Reaction score
I call it a gimmick. From what I have read about it, its really a pain. As others have mentioned, you have to position the phone exactly in the right spot on the charging disk for it to work, which in my case isn't worth the trouble. I keep my current phone on my nightstand and will occasionally pick it up during the night if I get a message (that makes it through my filters). My biggest concern was damaging the charging/USB port by constant tension on the charging cable/port. In the case with the wireless charger, I'd be spending more time trying to get it perfectly lined up, so I'm opting not to do it when I get my G2. On top of that, the Wireless charger is a $50.00 "accessory".

David

GrumpyOldGeek

Reaction score
Personally, I don't find it that hard to line up. After you do it a couple of times, you'll know just where to lay it on the charger without even thinking about it. I use an Incipio case that is fairly thin and it gets warm, but not blazing hot like some have stated. I haven't tried charging the phone with the case off yet.
Yes, it is a gimmick, but I would call it a "convenient gimmick". Think of it like this, wireless charging may wear the battery out sooner, plugging the usb cable in and out all the time may wear out or break the usb connection, but which is easier to replace?
Another thing to think about, which I have done, is to plug in an external sd card reader (like a Meenova) into the usb port, connect a Bluetooth speaker to your phone, lay your phone on the wireless charger and play music all day long without worrying about the battery running down.
You can get the LG wireless charger for less than $50.00 at Verizon.
No, it's not something you have to have to enjoy your G2 or whatever phone you have, but hey, we're tech heads and we like our accessories.

WolfR1

Reaction score
I agree that it's a handy feature. I have the LG puck and it does have to be placed toward the lower end of the phone but it is nowhere near needing 'exact' placement. On average I can charge the phone over night and never need another charge again until the end of the day. With extremely heavy use I keep the USB charger handy at work. Either way the phone seems to charge fairly quickly though faster with wired charging.

NOVICE

Reaction score
I have the Note 3. I have yet to try wireless charging.

But with the new USB 3 cable that comes with the phone I can fully charge the phone in 1 hour 45 minutes tops. With the standard micro USB cable on my Note 2 it took 8 or more hours for a full charge.

Can't see the utility of wireless charging for this particular device.

KeepItReal

Reaction score
Just think of it as a backup in case your charging port gets damaged. You could then switch to wireless charging.