THIS IS WHAT ROOT MEANS (stop asking)

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by phamous, Nov 6, 2009.

1. KOUSAKA-SAN

KOUSAKA-SAN Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry if this has been covered, but I searched for the answer and could not find it.My rooted Droid blocked the update.zip this morning. I have 2.1 right now with smoked glass. Do I need to install the update? And how would I.
    The Droid is stuck on a screen with this info...

Android system recovery <2e>

Patched by SirPsycoS (0.99.3b)

reboot system now
    wipe data/factory reset
    wipe cache partition
    mount options
    backup/restore
    install

Any help on that, or if you know where to find the answer would be appreciated.
    Thanks!

2. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok go into install > allow update.zip, then click install update.zip

If you are talking about the official ota update, it runs ESE81 .... the updates on most roms are including this. There is already a couple in the rom section. You would just install them like normal for a rom but make sure you allow the update.zip

#50 korp, Apr 4, 2010
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  3. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have no clue what you are saying in the end because it doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

SPrecovery and clockworkmod are ways to backup the system, restore the system and install custom roms and frameworks. If you are rooted you will have one of the two and just power on the phone holding X boots into SP or clockwork.

As of right now I believe there is no way to root the official ota 2.1 update .... so if you updated there is no way to undo it now. There is also no way to revert back to 2.0.1 from the official 2.1. If you are still rooted and never did the official update then there are roms out there with ESE81 included now so you can install those if you want. You do have to reactivate when you boot up again .... but it calls *228 you just have to press 1.

4. KOUSAKA-SAN

KOUSAKA-SAN Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks Korp for the quick reply!
    I read the info on the update after posing the question here and the only thing new that I would want is the Live Wallpapers. But it did not give people all the other things that 2.1 rooted gave me. I did not do the install because I am afraid of losing all of that. Would the update have left my 5 homepage and 3d apps intact?

5. pc.huff

pc.huff New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually this is incorrect. Having root access is the equivalent of the System account on Windows. Administrator on Windows is like sudo. System is like root.

6. depdaDROID

depdaDROID Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hey, I got a problem here (hope its not irreperable!)..I'm rooted (was) and running BBv1.1. I tried to install a bootanimation (DroidShatter_UnstableCore_BuglessBeast). At first i followed these directions:install on sd card then use root explorer to copy and paste it in a local file, well it didnt work, so I tried to rename it update.zip and install it on sd and apply and reboot. Well being an admitted noob, I think I deleted (accidentally) the update.zip that I originally installed when I first rooted my MotoDroid (2.1). Whatever I did after that I no longer have superuser permission. I still have the superuser guy in my app drawer, but if I try to run anything (titanium backup) that requires sup.perm/root access it dosen't recognize superuser permission on my Droid. I hope this is a quick fix. Can someone plz help?? (everything works otherwise) also where did I go wrong when I installed the new bootanimation(for next time). Thanks!!

7. gszeman

gszeman Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You're most likely still rooted...you probably just need to fix your permissions.

Open terminal emulator and type su and then enter. Then type fixperm and hit enter. If you don't encounter any issues, you should be set.

The bootanimation must be named bootanimation.zip Anything other than that and it will not work. Rename It bootanimation.zip, and then try moving it to /data/local

Hope this helps.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

8. depdaDROID

depdaDROID Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I tried Getting SU permission again with terminal emulator (typed su, enter, then fixperm) but "permission denied" was response when su was entered. As I said in my prior post I deleted an update.zip from my sd card (when I was mounted). Also, I installed another update.zip to my sd card (renamed from bootanim..(droidShatter...).
    Can't I just delete the update.zip that I erroneously installed and install the proper file which is missing? (btw- thanks gszeman for ur help)

9. gavron

gavron Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    Look... update.zip is a file. Whether you delete it or not doesn't matter. What matters is whether you install what's in it.

In both your cases... you don't mention what you installed.

My recommendation would be to follow the instructions at the top of the sticky notes on the forum... re-root your droid, and don't install things without first making a full nandroid backup.

E

10. kdawg77

kdawg77 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    wassup

How do I overclock my incredible

11. maidmarianiii

maidmarianiii Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Great info here, I thought I might want to root my Droid, but I figure (after reading all this) if this is so confussing to me, and half the people asking, maybe we should just leave our phones the way they are. Only the smart hackers should play in this field, who know and can enjoy the benifits of rooting. I'm glad they ASKED and I know I will STOP ASKING. Unless I had someone to root my phone for me, my questions are over. Thank for helping me decide.

12. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    If you would update to the official 2.1, then the apps would probably be there but 5 pages is not something included for the Droid. There is a way to root the official 2.1 now though. Sorry it took a little while for an answer and you probably have found this out now. Also, there is the 2.2 os (FROYO) available now (not officially), but it is pretty buggy and would not let me restore my data and work so I reverted back to 2.1.

That is the right attitude. If you do not feel comfortable rooting then there is no reason to do it. A lot of these questions actually start to make sense as you go through the process and the guides out there make the steps very simple. If you do decide to go ahead and root: there is plenty of information, step-by-step videos, and people willing to help you if you get stuck.

Search tags for this page
droid rooted
root a phone means

rooted droid

rooting droid

what does rooted mean on droid
what does rooted phone mean
what does rooting a droid mean

what does rooting a phone mean

what is a rooted droid

what is rooted droid