THIS IS WHAT ROOT MEANS (stop asking)

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by phamous, Nov 6, 2009.

1. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The updater actually will let you pick which version you want ... at least it did for me .... gave me stock, 2.0.2 and 2.0.3 or whatever the numbers are.

2. destinydmm

destinydmm Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Qustions on rooting and haven't found to much help.
    Things I ant to do:
    Install the Milestone's music player (I have the apk from Milestone Music Player w/ Coverflow - Android Forums)
    Remove/renae the duplicated apps from the 2.1 installables (Alarm clock, music player, corp email, Visual VM & Gallery)
    Do I need to install ROMs once I'm rooted or can I just leave it at that? How would I get the music player installed? And what is the proper way to access the terminal/command program to enter in the commands? And how do I enter the commands properly & in what order? If this could be explained as I have minute experience with it? Thanks for any and all help in advance.

3. newjazz

newjazz New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    As one of the thousands Rogers HTC magic users,I'm praying for the rooting for the Rogers HTC upgrate! It was a trap and I wasn't careful enough to jump upon the gun!

4. flosho

flosho New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Question: If my phone is rooted will it still update to android 2.1? Or will I have to unroot my phone to upgrade?

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Active Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Depends on if you load a ROM that disables OTA updates.

-Mike

6. remembranceof

remembranceof New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    another question about rooting . . . and then some

I've read this whole thread and visited some others here, and I'm still sketchy on something: is "rooting" a smartphone like droid essentially the first step to not only "unlocking" and doing those mentioned things w/ ROMS--but also allowing it to operate w/ at least some of its main features AND w/out any carrier and phone and data plan?

I'm a complete noob, obviously. But what I am really searching for is a "smartphone" w/ loads of features (wi-fi, internet access, high quality camera, music, etc.) but, again, w/out ANY carrier and phone and data plan. I know lots of people think it's ridiculous to have a smartphone w/out a data plan, etc. But I am almost always near wi-fi. And if I can access most of those features, then I could use Skype and basically have, what I read in one rare article, a "stealth" phone service/carrier. The long term cost/benefits of this really floor me, so I'm thinking about possible smartphones to do this w/ . . . and of course droid is one of the top on my list. I also read Nexus One is one of the very few and latest that comes w/ all main features unlocked and operational, so clearly that is on my list, too, b/c I wouldn't have to do any of this hacking w/ my *relatively* limited tech skills and nil hacking skills.

Sooo...if there is anywhere on the forums here that address any of these additional considerations, I'd be grateful; b/c days and days of researching this have yielded surprisingly limited info.

Thank you for any help.

7. refatb

refatb New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    some people mistake Rooting + flashing a custom rom as the same thing as unlocking a phone to use with any service. the droid is different, For people that want to change the carrier/service provider you need to load a PRL using a program called QPST, here is a link to PRL from different service Providers. Corolada PRL Page ....connect your phone to the PC via usb, get "Motorola_Consumer_Driver_Installation_MotoConnect_01.01.12_32_bit_4.1.0.msi" to install the driver for the droid or A855, then get the program "QPST" which you can get from Googling it or Torrent sites, use that Program to load the PRL for whatever Carrier you wish to change to.

#43 refatb, Mar 5, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  8. Rique

Rique Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Hello, I did my duty... searched...but did not find what I'm looking for.

Yes, there risks in rooting, everyone says, at the same time I've seen many videos showing how easy it is (or it seems to)

Anyone with EXPERIENCE here who can "sponsor" me? <smile>.

I need a TEAM who will assist me in this difficult task :) with a bit of patience too, to walk me through the steps. I have watched several YouTube videos on this... and they make it look like a piece of cake. Besides I don't really want to try every ROM on earth, simply and upgrade to 2.1 and DROCAP2 to make screenshots. That's it... so it should not be too risky..

I have a Droid 2.01 I believe, just got it about a month ago. The main reason I thouhgt about rooting is because as I understand it, it's the only way to take SCREENSHOTS from any screen. Yes I know I need DROCAP2, which I already have.... but I would also like to jump to the best choice for 2.1 upgrade... I'm tired of waiting for it, and as I understand it, I DON'T NEED TO WAIT???? IS THAT TRUE????

9. n813ca

n813ca Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Phamous

Thank you for your answer. I haven't found an answer as good as yours on here. So I am glad I asked. I don't feel bad asking a question maybe I am not smart enough to find on the search as it is a forum.

10. n813ca

n813ca Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You still didn't answer about logbook pro and I am guessing that is a new question not all ready answered.

11. n813ca

n813ca Member

Ratings:
    +0
    GdLkn

THANK YOU

12. ???

??? Member

Ratings:
    +3
    so. searching for root info as I keep hitting the later button to keep from installing ota 2.1, I'm trying to figure out what sprecovery is, and how to get it.

from what I can't tell it makes a copy of your whole system as it is now, an image as they seem to call it. so if anything happens, I can unbrick my phone.

I wanna root the 2.0.1 I have now to installed the rooted 2.1 over it. so I'm not stuck without root to my 2.1. but the thread about that says I need to have a SPrecovery image for that 2.1 stock but rooted rom to work.

can anyone point me to links about sprecovery?

Search tags for this page
droid rooted
root a phone means

rooted droid

rooting droid

what does rooted mean on droid
what does rooted phone mean
what does rooting a droid mean

what does rooting a phone mean

what is a rooted droid

what is rooted droid