THIS IS WHAT ROOT MEANS (stop asking)

Discussion in 'Android Custom & Themes' started by phamous, Nov 6, 2009.

1. korp

korp Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Right ... except on my blackberry I could just reload the carrier os and there was no way to tell ... is that possible on the Droid?

2. GdLkn84AS

GdLkn84AS New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    To the Mods and people posting in this thread!

I have an issue with this thread.

I'll be honest here. I am an avid MS Technician but I do not know a lot about certain Linux/Unix OS's. I am very interested in learning though.

I know what rooting is but I do not know what rooting on the Android OS will allow you to do. So many people, like me and others, have asked kindly for you Android Wiz guys to explain a little more of what rooting allows you to do on the Android OS. Instead of providing a few cool details, you rather say "it provides unlimited possibilities" and just list the fact that you can flash new Roms! WOW, I want a keyboard that doesn't light up or live wallpapers that crash the phone after 10 mins.

You title this for people to "stop asking" but no one really goes into detail on what else you can do besides disable your GPS (not aGPS) when using Roms. Come on! What are you afraid to mention? Or do you just not know what else you can do?

I find it rude that people come here for help and others tell us to stop asking. Perhaps we are all in the wrong place. If so, delete my post and tell me shutup, I'll just go find another forum to subscribe to. I understand people hate repeating themselves, but isn't that why there is a quote option?

Some of us could care less about updating to 2.1 until it is officially released for the Droid. Maybe we just want to know what additional settings we get with superuser permissions, yet no one lists anything (I've tried searching my A$$ off so I don't have to bother anyone, thats why my post amount is low. I usually find what I am looking for, I know how to search a forum. I understand others may not.)

All I am asking for is some more details on what else I can do with my droid besides updating to 2.1 or tethering wifi. I don't need nor want either at the moment. So can someone kindly offer some insight as to why WE or I may want to root our droids? It's not that hard to offer an answer and I'm sure would be appreciated by many. If there is another thread that will answer this besides giving me the obvious, then maybe post a link for us if quoting or explaining is too hard.

I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I admire those who have figured out this technology in the short time it has been out. But, telling people to stop asking something that hasn't been answered fully just seems wrong and frankly rude all in itself. I hope some of you understand where I am coming from and will maybe help some of us noobs and semi-advanced users get more out of our devices.

Your time, answers, quotes and feedback are greatly appreciated!

Maybe a mod. can tell me if I am in the wrong with my post or better yet, point some of us in the right direction as to what OTHER tricks we can do after rooting...

Kindly and greatfully yours
    -GdLkn :motdroidvert:

3. bobmundo123

bobmundo123 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Like.. I mean everyone has been very kind on droid forums. I love you guys.. but I kinda agree with him. I've rooted.. and other then getting aad blocker.. idk what else there is to do.

4. wuyanks

wuyanks DF News Team
    Premium Member

Ratings:
    +1
    :icon_eek: download themed roms, change every aspect of the your phone's UI without bloatware (home replacements), overclock cpu, droid FM radio soon, tethering (usb and wifi), VNC, SSH, etc. i may be missing some...

5. sokitumi

sokitumi New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    the ability to remove the constantly auto starting crapwares ala: corporate calander (if you dont use it ofc) is reason enough. Sad thing is you need root to do it : /

6. eL777

eL777 New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Quick question, so I guess I'll ask it here. I have been rooted for a while now and have become very familiar with linux commands, adb, etc. My question is, once I unroot... am I supposed to be able to go into adb shell and have the ability to pull and push stuff? Cuz when I "unroot" i can still do adb shell, adb pull, adb push, but NOT su. Su says permission denied, but I thought adb shell would too but it doesnt. Is that how it is supposed to be? Thanks.

7. swickdick

swickdick Member

Ratings:
    +0
    After 2.1 OTA update: Anyone heard if root will still be available or is this unknown?

8. 3083joe

3083joe Member

Ratings:
    +0
    beautiful explanation, thanks

9. docfreed

docfreed New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    How do I know I'm Dl'ing the latest update.zip - there seem to be quite a few out there?

10. STX21

STX21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Just download the one from sholes.info, probably your best bet at getting the most recent.

11. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Yes I agree, if you haven't rooted yet, get the update.zip from Sholes.info

12. STX21

STX21 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Or, just use the SMUpdater..

Search tags for this page
droid rooted