1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

THIS IS WHAT ROOT MEANS (stop asking)

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by phamous, Nov 6, 2009.

1. phamous

phamous New Member

THIS IS WHAT ROOT MEANS (stop asking) : Benefits and Risks associated with rooting

UPDATE: DROID HAS ROOT!
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-general-discussions/7485-droid-finally-rooted.html

=====
    The following is merely an aggregation of android info taken from xda-developers and cyanogenmod.com. Further reading as well as questions and answers can be found within their forums as well as the droidforums, just search!
    http://www.cyanogenmod.com/
    http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Main_Page
    XDA-Dream Development Forum
    =====
    Jailbreaking an iPhone and Rooting a linux based system like Android are two completely different processes.

First question we'll tackle is "what is root?":
    To have root access on a linux based system such as android means you have the equivalent access of Administrator on a Windows based computer. You will have unrestricted full access to nearly all aspects of the android system stack.

Second question "why would i want to obtain root access on my phone":
    For those of us who would like an extreme level of control over our phone's files, root access is a necessity. Having a rooted phone gives the end user unprecedented control over the phone, enabling them to have limitless possibilities. Essentially unlocking your phone's full potential. With root/superuser access on your phone you would be able to flash modified roms (roms from other devices) , have access to certain functions on "root only" applications (example: wireless tether for root users - ability to tether your phone). The possibilities are endless.

Third question "how do i obtain root access on my phone (and keep it)":
    To obtain root access, akin to jailbreaking, developers/hackers will need to find a system exploit that enables them root access. HTC devices such as the Tmobile G1 (HTC DREAM) and Tmobile Mytouch3g (HTC sapphire/magic) have been successfully rooted. Finding root is a matter of time, if it can be built, it can be broken. This translates to having the superuser.apk in the rom with the superuser binaries installed. Once you have root access you can continue to flash a customized recovery image (hold x + power on) and a compatible bootloader/spl (secondary program loader) which will in turn, enable you to flash custom modified roms (example: cyanogenmod)

WARNING:
    In addition to voiding your warranty,
    There are many risks associated with rooting your phone. The most apparent risk is bricking your device. If this happens,

Your phone is and forever will be, nothing more than, a brick.

So far, there are no software solutions for a bricked device. Your phone will be stuck at the splash loading screen indefinitely.
    The only for sure way to brick your device is to corrupt both the recovery image and the secondary program loader and the actual rom itself (assuming you have a recovery image that can flash modified roms, an SPL that can fastboot, and a rom with root access)
    As long as you have at least one of the three items listed, you are not the proud owner of a bricked device and can recovery your phone.
    It is only when you are unable to enter recovery, fastboot, or your rom, and your device is stuck on the splash screen indefinitely, do you have a bricked device.

Also note that rooting your phone will block over the air updates that your carrier may provide you. You are pretty much consenting to opt out of OTA's; you have to update your own phone from now on.

How do I brick my device?:
    In most cases, you really have to try, to brick your device. As long as one of the three safety’s built into your phone are functioning, you should have no problem resurrecting your phone. HOWEVER, the most common cause of bricking to date involves the flashing of the Haykuro “death/danger/special” SPL. A hacked developer SPL designed by Haykuro for the HTC DREAM, the SPL partitions the phone’s internal memory (therefore allowing end users to flash larger sized roms). Errors can occur when flashing the SPL or if the user flashes the SPL before flashing the complimenting system radio.
    I hope this description was helpful enough for the majority of Droid users looking to root their devices. If you would like to expand your knowledge , visit the xda developers forum. And always remember to USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION! It’s there for a reason, and chances are, someone else will have already asked your question. If you have searched for an answer and after some time of searching, and still haven’t found a solution, then by all means, ask! BUT, ask in the appropriate forum section (generally Q/A)

End.
    ---
    On a separate note, i haven't gone on these forums in a while, life's been pretty busy, but damn.
    http://www.cyanogenmod.com/home/android-soap-opera-ultimate-droid
    What has this forum become? ^^
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2010
  2. Stigy

Stigy New Member

Ah another Cyanogen user on a TMobile G1 - awesome!

The information above should be stickied as it is a perfect explanation as to what "rooting" an Android device is.

That said please understand that there are risks involved when rooting a phone such as "bricking" the device if the steps are not in the exact order or in the exact way they are listed to be done. I have seen it many times and people get angry at the person giving the steps or developing the custom ROM.

EVERYTHING involving rooting the device is done at the risk of the user. Please do not get mad when something doesn't work exactly how it was stated if you did something wrong or different than listed.
  3. crownedzero

crownedzero New Member

sudo hack root droid? =P
  4. thrashtrash

thrashtrash New Member

Finally

finally some smart people! so is it too much to hope to see this site turn into something like XDA? i am disappointed in the DROID community but then again this is the first android device for some people. for those of you with questions reguarding android go to xda-developers and read through the forums for the sapphire and the dream. it should answer most of your questions. just remember the droid is a new piece of hardware and the devs need to adjust their methods accordingly not to meanton get up to speed with the 2.0 sdk.
  5. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

there are some smart people here. We don't support certain things but are willing to le you guys do your thing. Please see our disclaimer http://www.droidforums.net/forum/droid-hacks/448-droidforums-net-disclaimer.html.
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2009
  6. Randomocity

Randomocity New Member

Bump.

Mods, please sticky this, there are still a number of people asking this very question, and this information should be easily available.
  7. RinTinTigger

RinTinTigger Premium Member Premium Member

Done, i hope asking will end soon!
  8. Seruy

Seruy New Member

Let me just jump ahead of myself here and ask a question - after rooting the Droid would one be, hypothetically, able to unlock the device from its original carrier or perhaps change the IMEI#?

I really like having US Cellular, since it works really well where I live and in most places where my friends' phones don't work and/or roaming. I don't think that USCC will have this phone anytime soon, it takes them close to one year to get a new phone... so my options would be to switch to Verizon, unlock Droid from Verizon, or change the IMEI to my current phone (changing IMEI is illegal, blah blah, blah). I really do not want to use the first option... so to get back to my original question - after rooting is it possible to unlock or change the IMEI number? Thanks in advance.
  9. eaxxae

eaxxae New Member

the IMEI is read-only, so no. you can find where the IMEI is stored and reprogram the chip possibly, but this would require unsoldering the chip from the board I think. This is not done in software or stored as a string in flash memory.
  10. phamous

phamous New Member

11. MountainX

MountainX New Member

well, if that's so, how is a large block of the population in India getting their IMEI number changed?
  12. fezdlc

fezdlc New Member

Can someone upload a youtube video on how to root the droid? I think this would really help visual learner people like myself :smile:
  13. buci1er

buci1er New Member

i have a ? about rooting the droid.

Once the droid is rooted..can it ever be undone?
  14. DroidSickness

DroidSickness New Member

Hate to ask and sound not smart and expert at rooting. But again can someone post the real potential of what can be done with a rooted Driod with examples thanks.
  15. bobmundo123

bobmundo123 New Member

ok.. so rooting allows you to modify and alter and have control to many settings.. However.. Will you still get like.. updates.. to like apps.. and lets say i root 2.0.1... and then the update for 2.1 comes out for the droid... will i be alerted and notified for the update like i was for the 2.0.1..?
  16. catfishk

catfishk New Member

i have my Droid on Cricket Wireless. having root has nothing to do with it, since only the PRL needs to be changed (CDMA settings are "beneath" the Android software entirely) and the ESN registered with the carrier

the IMEI is tied to the device. however, i own the device so i can put it on whatever network allows me. while unlawful to change the device's hardware address, taking the Verizon stuff out and changing networks is NOT unlawful and totally possible

note that you will probably *not* get CDMA data working at this time, however, on another network. there is a lot of Verizon settings that revert on reboot or after NVRAM edits
  17. hondaguy520

hondaguy520 New Member

after rooting the droid everything still works the same..updates? and everything? just allows you more access??
  18. technowizpvtltd

technowizpvtltd New Member

19. blueyzfr6

blueyzfr6 New Member

What settings can you alter??? I just rooted it and everything seems the same but I have a ninja/Superuser Permissions
  20. HolyGrail

HolyGrail Premium Member Premium Member

I would like to know this too.
Search tags for this page
droid rooted
root a phone means

rooted droid

rooting droid

what does it mean to root a phone
what does root access mean
what does rooted mean
what does rooted mean on droid