This Is My Brain Spew Typed Out. Im Spent. Please Help Me.

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by neccoguy21, May 12, 2010.

1. neccoguy21

neccoguy21 New Member

***STUPID THREAD WONT LET ME BREAK LINES! ENTER BUTTON HAS NO EFFECT ON FINAL REVISION. NEW LINES ARE "SEPARATED" BY MULTIPLE *************************(((i have a moto droid, firmware 2.1-update1, and I run jrummy's remix v.07 cyanogen mod 5.0.6.2 build ESE81 baseband version C_01.3E.03P. I was using the GDE home app. **********************************I'd like to know what proper steps I need to take, or what I'm doing wrong when I try to do a simple download and rom update of the little extras that jrummy offers. **********************************((Sorry for the scatter brained thread. Im so lost today)) **********************************((!! What I'm really trying to get at in this post is a guide line on the easiest way to keep all your stuff while dealing with roms. Too many times I am staring at a stock home screen with no apps in my drawer and just the jrummy stock rom, no home launcher like GDE. I just want to be able to make necessary updates or changes (such as my boot animation problem below), and then bring back my previous backed up info that didn't need the updating.!!)) **********************************Today I decided to change my boot animation because i hadn't done anything along those lines yet. i went into clockwork mod rom manager and went to jrummys new section i read was finally up. well right there is the download file for the boot animations. Is this there to download because the original rom doesn't have these files? i only figured they were extra files not included in the original v.07. So i download the boot animations file, or rom... (is it a file or a Rom?) If i download ANYTHING called a rom, will it erase all my info?) within clockwork rom manager. after its done, i was thinking it would kinda just give me a note in my notifications about being done downloading. but when it was done downloading, it brings me back to the rom manager and asks If i want to back up my existing rom and wipe data and cache because im doing a rom install (not what i expected). it had been a while since i had done a cache sweep, and seeing as how i said yes to a rom back up, yeah, i made a back up and wiped. When it reboots, Im still rooted but now only have jrummys stock home screen, and aside from my gmail info like contacts, nothing else could acknowledge my previous presence on the phone. no apps. no settings set, no playlists saved. the market at VERY first showed a list of EVERY app i ever downloaded in the menu/downloads, and was going to be my cross reference list against my aging titanium backup that i would eventually apply, but that download menu quickly reverted back to what was just on the phone, and what i had purchased. super list gone. this is fine if i want to do the clean sweep and start fresh, but i wasn't due for another one yet. i was very happy with my tweeked as hell settings in my apps, and my themes, home screen, button lay out, and all that. so why is it that when i believe all im doing is downloading and putting some boot animations on my sd card to use, i end up with a full blown back up recovery. i now need to go re-download titanium recovery which since i dont use every second of my life is missing recent app downloads and data. i have to re-download app saver, and re download my quick settings app and redo all its settings. this is what i hate the most tho, i have lost my home page layouts since i didn't do a screen cap. before being prompted with the unexpected rom back up and wipe and reboot. So what did I do wrong? All i wanted was to change my boot animation, but it turned into this giant cluster F of the questions going through my head needing to be answered before i continue with it all. ***********************************List Of Questions that came to my head when writing post (more will be edited in, i know it): *************************************1. Does jrummys original rom dowload come with EVERYTHING (fonts, live wallpapers, boot animations, etc...)? Is his download the one stop shop, and everything works, no matter what i want to use? or do i need to make additional downloads for the extras? it seems to me that i would need to download extras to use them. like a certain live wallpaper, or in my case, a different boot animation. **********************************2. how do i do a data and cache wipe without loosing my apps, settings, and home page layouts? more importantly, my other home page loaders in general, such as GDE? ************************************3. why does rom manager ask me if i want to make a back up, which i do, and wipe data and cache, which i do, but then reboot to something not resembling a back up at all? where did that back up go now that all my apps are gone, including the one that asks for said back up? ***********************************So to try to wrap up my Brain Splooge again, I need to know the proper steps and guidlines for dealing with data wipes, rom back ups, and all that crap assoiciated with jrummy remix and clockworkmod and rom manager. I know all these apps and settings were created to make this kind of stuff easy, but im just not doing it right.
  2. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Nobody is going to be able to help you with a post like that. We are here to help but you got to be willing to make things at least readable to the people who can help you.

I suggest you edit your post, put in some paragraphs, and then you will probably get someone who will help you.
  3. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    Okay, I am going to try to answer some of your questions.......

First I would not rely on your backup program for your apps/data. I was using mybackup pro, when I restored my apps after flashing a new ROM and theme, my phone started f/c and having all kinds of issues. So I went into recovery, wiped everything and started over. I flashed the ROM and theme again only this time I downloaded my apps fresh from the market. NO f/c no issues. Apparently something in the backup was causing a bunch of conflicts.

If you are changing themes but staying with the same ROM or you are adding a boot animation or something to the framework (like the round battery indicator), when you are prompted to "Backup" or "Wipe Cache" ONLY backup. I never wipe cache unless I am changing ROM's. This way I keep my apps and all my settings.

The backups that you see being made when flashing a new ROM or installing a theme, etc are all on your sd card. You can manage them through the ROM Manager. ROM Mgr > Manage and Restore Backups. There you will see them all listed. They are date and time coded. You can press on them in there and rename them so that you can keep track of what backup was what. If for some reason you want or need to go back to one of those backups, boot into recovery > wipe data / factory reset > wipe cache > nandriod > restore > then look for the backup you want to restore to and click it, once its done reboot and you will be back to where you were when that particular backup was made.

I hope this helps. If you have more questions, you can pm me and I will try to answer them.
  4. christim

christim DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad

splooge and spew?

If the automated methods aren't working there are manual methods that work fine too. Read up on the manual methods of updating so that at least if the auto-tools don't work as expected you have a better understanding of what's going on behind the scenes. The write ups and guides exist. Each rom I've seen has an intro/install thread that describes what it contains, has screenshots, and has installation instructions. Titanium Back up and other apps can backup and save your data so you can restore it again later.
  5. neccoguy21

neccoguy21 New Member

trust me, i would love to make some paragraphs. i had some really nice ones. but the post just gets crammed into one giant one when i post it. wtf?!
  6. luv2increase

luv2increase Member

Whoever recommends to re-download your apps every time you flash a new ROM is insane. All you need to do is use Titanium Backup! It has never failed me once after about 7 clean ROM installs. I have about 50 apps, and it takes me about 5 seconds to install each one after a new ROM install.

Titatium Backup FTW
  7. dlwhtrose

dlwhtrose DF Super Moderator Rescue Squad Premium Member

God forsaken desert, wishing to be back in Dixie
    When you do a complete backup of your apps and data, the backup program grabs bits and pieces of the ROM you are currently on. When you flash your new ROM and then restore your apps from a backup program, you also then install those bits and pieces of the previous ROM. Thus you run the risk of putting pieces of conflicting ROMs on your phone. It has been suggested to me by ROM builders that i NOT use a backup program to restore my apps after flashing a new ROM. If you are only installing a new Theme, then no, do not wipe cache, only backup and you will retain your apps and their settings. When you are flashing a new ROM it is a good idea to have a clean start and clean setup otherwise you are just carrying forward possible hidden issues.

Edit: luv2increase, you may want to do more reading before you start to call someone names............. just not very polite and is received as rude. I am far from an idiot.
  8. B-Unit

B-Unit Member

I agree, if you have enabled google account sync when setting up the rom, the market will auto download your apps. Backup apps can save your home screen setups except for widgets.
  9. necronomican

necronomican New Member

This is the craziest thing ive ever read!!!
    That was like reading the rants of somone with A D D and Bipolar Disorder that forgot to take there meds before writing there thoughts down!
Search tags for this page

i forgot to make a backup copy of my brain