This is getting pretty irritating. Data connection issues

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm posting it here because I don't think this is a phone model specific issue but it is a Razr in case you're wondering.

Many times the signal in the notification bar goes to white (from blue) even when there's full bars. While this is happening, there's no data connection and nothing that requires it will work. I notice this problem with 3g and 4g. Today for example, I am working in a full bar 4G area. I wake up the phone and there'd be the blue indicator though sometimes it's already white, and click on Gtalk (I use this a lot but it could be facebook, foursquare, etc) and as I'm navigating through it or typing, the indicator turns white and it says disconnected. On Facebook it just spins as it tries to load and eventually says Data Connection Lost, tap to retry. Usually it will stay white for a longer time than I have time or patience for. Many times, it'll go blue for about 5 seconds then white again. It's all very random.

It really is irritating when there's 4 bars of 4G or 3G but it's white so there might as well be nothing!

Anyone experiencing this? Is it an Android issue? Verizon issue? Signal issue?

Any input appreciated

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
My first inclination is that it's coverage/network related. You may be right on the edge of a good coverage area and it is hit or miss (thus the fluctuating signal)

If this is something new happening then we are looking at a whole set of other things that could be the cause (hardware, software, network issues)

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hasn't been any recent changes but I do notice an irregularity with wifi as well. :mad:

jseah

Reaction score
My wife has the Razr Maxx and she has had this problem since day 1 with the phone. It happens all the time when we are home, where the signal constantly switches between 4G and 3G. I believe that the issue stems from difficulties the radios in the Motorola androids having in hand offs between the LTE and EVDO system. Whereas with the HTC phones we have (Rezound and Thunderbolt) where you could lose the data connection for a few seconds when it switches, the Motorolas (the Razr Maxx and to a lesser extent, the Bionic) could lose it for minutes at a time (in some cases up to 30 minutes). She has gotten so annoyed with constantly losing data that she has now started using WiFi when we're at home. We've tried replacing the SIM card and even tried replacing the handset and it didn't work.

uemurdx

Reaction score
I had this same issue for the past 3 weeks. I exchanged my phone w/SIM, and it did nothing to fix the issue. The people at the Verizon store knew nothing about the source of the problem or if something is being done to the overall network. :mad:

And then...

I finally received the long awaited ICS update last night. After completing the software update, my phone..so far...has worked flawlessly. I still need to test it in the fringe areas (driving to San Deigo), but surrounding my home area of Orange County (where I had those issues stated in OP), I am good to go. My suggestion, don't get your phone replaced, unless they agree to give you a non-refurbished unit, and wait to you get the ICS update. dancedroid

rambo1028

Reaction score
Same issues here but has been going on for months and I am finally fed up. Came here looking for answers...before I chuck this thing out the window!

I tried system update in the settings <about phone< system updates and it says "check for updates is not available now". What gives?

I should point out that I am not at all tech savvy and a lot of the posts I have read about how to fix this issues are like a foreign language to me.

Any help is appreciated!

Tiff

uemurdx

Reaction score
Same issues here but has been going on for months and I am finally fed up. Came here looking for answers...before I chuck this thing out the window!

I tried system update in the settings <about phone< system updates and it says "check for updates is not available now". What gives?

I should point out that I am not at all tech savvy and a lot of the posts I have read about how to fix this issues are like a foreign language to me.

Any help is appreciated!

Tiff

the ICS software update is coming in waves, so you should get yours soon. my suggestion when you get the notification that it has arrived is to.do the update on wifi. I'm not hi tech either. patience is your only friend right now

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
the ICS software update is coming in waves, so you should get yours soon. my suggestion when you get the notification that it has arrived is to.do the update on wifi. I'm not hi tech either. patience is your only friend right now

On that note, I just checked and am downloading the latest update. We'll see if it helps. Now that I'm paying more attention, I see the wifi disconnects often while screen is off.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk 2

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
WOW! It's a whole new phone. So far, it seems that the connection issue is solved, but I'll give it another week to be sure. I have noticed that there may be a battery suck issue with ICS. Other than that, I like what I see in ICS.

Is it possible to change the lock screen shortcuts in ICS? would like to change the text option to Google Talk.

uemurdx

Reaction score
WOW! It's a whole new phone. So far, it seems that the connection issue is solved, but I'll give it another week to be sure. I have noticed that there may be a battery suck issue with ICS. Other than that, I like what I see in ICS.

Is it possible to change the lock screen shortcuts in ICS? would like to change the text option to Google Talk.

I'm glad it worked for you as it did for me. I noticed a slight decline in my battery strength. I read that doing a factory data reset can help resolve some of those issues. I made sure I backed up my data, apps (app backup and restore) before starting the reset. Not sure how much it improved my battery, but I got 9+ hours out of my Razr (not maxx) battery with slight usage today.

OP
Jim 777

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Update: While I haven't seen the issue with the 3G/4G again, I still see the wifi cutting out when the screen is off. I notice it because many times when turning the screen on after getting home and connecting to the wifi, the phone will be on 3G. Within a few, the wifi kicks in, but there shouldn't be this issue, at least there never used to be.

BTW. loving ICS! Love the new look and the way they seemed to listen to many users in some ways. Is there a way to remove the clock from the notbar? Probably not. Still discovering teh new bells and whistles.

rambo1028

Reaction score
Data loss horrible today!!

I keep checking system updates and it still keeps saying no available now immediately even tho i can see the littke wheel still spinning in the background like its still working. ??? Anu way I can find out when update should be coming my way?

sweetness117

Reaction score
I have been having these same issues!! I can share the frustration with everyone on his topic :mad: I trying to get the update, but my phone (Razr) will not stay connected long enough to even check for the update! I guess I will have to plunk myself down in a wi-fi area and wait for it...i wish i could say money well spent...its a joke.

Pugsley

Reaction score
How can you tell that the ICS software has rolled out in your area? Where does it tell you in your phone? I have had this issue with my phone for weeks now and it is driving me crazy!!!!!! PLEASE HELP:angry::mad: