This is Confusing and a bit Irritating

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I've seen people discuss weird things happening to their contacts all over the the Forum, be it in the D2 area, Incredible, etc. My first thought is always "user error" or "lack of knowledge."

I've been using a company to buy food for my parrots since 1997. I always call the 800 number leave my order and it arrives no problem. Usually I will dial it on gmail's phone because I'm at home and why waste minutes?

But today I decided to call on my Droid, and I got a telemarketing company. I tried again, same thing. So since I was sitting in front of the computer anyway, I used gmails phone. Same thing happened.

So I go to the website and I'll be darned if the the last group of numbers got turned around. Now I definitely did not do this. I changed it on my phone, saved and looked it on my computer and no change. I looked back at the phone and the numbers were switched again. This time I changed it in Gmail and saved it and the numbers on the phone changed too.

This is just whacked. I'm not rooted, running stock. And to be honest it just irritates the crap out of me. I've never had this before, why now? And this didn't happen to somebody making their 3rd post.

I find it inexcusable, if it ever happens again I will make a change.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had this problem awhile back with Google Voice, except when I called, it was a Google recording saying the number was DC'd. It's a simple routing issue, but because GV is free, they don't have to provide real-time support.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

Taegost

Reaction score
I had this problem awhile back with Google Voice, except when I called, it was a Google recording saying the number was DC'd. It's a simple routing issue, but because GV is free, they don't have to provide real-time support.

What Hook is talking about isn't a simple routing issue, the phone was actually switching the number around in his contact list.
I've had issues with my phone dialing the wrong contact, but never that it switched the actual number :(

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Exactly. And just how does that possibly happen? It doesn't make sense to me. The only way that could have happened in my mind is for me to do it, and I didn't. I 100% positive about it.

Just checked it again in gmail. Still correct.

rbres15

Reaction score
I had something similar happen after using the" bump" app. I had to physically change the contact back; I then uninstalled the" bump" app: hasn't recurred since.

-People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf. --George Orwell--

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

What Hook is talking about isn't a simple routing issue, the phone was actually switching the number around in his contact list.
I've had issues with my phone dialing the wrong contact, but never that it switched the actual number :(

Are the contacts backed up by Google? My wife's name is Katie, and my mom is Kathy. Whenever I put them both into the contact list, Google would assume they're the same person, and merge the contacts into a single contact. This would occur in both, my phone and online.

Is that like your issue?

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Are the contacts backed up by Google? My wife's name is Katie, and my mom is Kathy. Whenever I put them both into the contact list, Google would assume they're the same person, and merge the contacts into a single contact. This would occur in both, my phone and online.

Is that like your issue?

That's not even close to what happen.

Imagine this: You have a number in your contacts on both gmail and on your D2. The contacts name is Dr. Beex. The phone number 555.823.4985

You've been calling this person for a year and a half on your Droid (s). You also use the contact as a way to call him on your gmail on your computer. Then you go to call this person and a tape message comes on saying you've reached a telemarketing company.

You haven't changed the number or been anywhere near it, but for some reason in your contacts on your phone and on gmail the las two number are now 58 instead of 85. That's what happened.

elvyrorie

Reaction score
My friends Droid X added random numbers to people's contacts and removed others. It hasn't done that since he started running a custom rom.

Reaction score
My phone has called the wrong contact when I clearly selected another contact before. Not the same issue, but I would definitely be annoyed if my phone were switching the number in my contacts around.

Rocket Pak

Reaction score
The company may have needed to change thier number. If another company offered enougt for that number they may have sold it. Then reversed the numbers. Check an older call log when you know it was working.

chrstdvd

Reaction score
I do not use the D2 as a phone often but I did once and had this exact same problem. So I decided to just enter the number in on the keypad. The last two digits changer before my eyes. Over and over. So, I used my Casio G'one to llace the call. Had no problem with it.
Sorry this post won't help solve the problem, but it confirms ur problem happens to others.

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The company may have needed to change thier number. If another company offered enougt for that number they may have sold it. Then reversed the numbers. Check an older call log when you know it was working.

Now that's an idea I hadn't thought of. But I spoke with the guy that owns the business and told him about what happened. You would have thought he would say, "Yeah, we had to change our number a bit." What he said was, "huh, that's strange."

My call log goes all the way back to November 20th. Not one time did I use the D2 to call him, it was all done on Gmail via Google Voice.

So looking back at that log I can confirm that it dialed the number correctly when I last ordered food. There was no change in the number, but you do get extra points for creative thinking. ;)

Natey2

Reaction score
Do you have apps that have permissions to access your phone numbers/calls?
I think if the bug was on the Gmail/Google end, it would be widespread and many people would be complaining about it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have apps that have permissions to access your phone numbers/calls?
I think if the bug was on the Gmail/Google end, it would be widespread and many people would be complaining about it.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

Sure I do. And yes, that could be the reason why.

It does bother me a bit that these apps need so many permissions. But does giving an app permission to the phone also allowing it to get to contacts?

I'm probably never going to get the answer on this, and I kind of knew that when I started the thread. You guys have come up with some interesting theories.

bwhite757

Reaction score
I have a feeling it's probably 3rd party app related. Not saying it's right, but that's where I'd put my money, only because not everyone is seeing that problem, nor is Google looking into it, as something as serious is this is, I would have to imagine they would be on top of it.

I myself have not had this problem. I have roughly 400 phone numbers stored on my phone/gMail, and use them frequently for business related reasons. I would be SOL if something happened to them, b/c I depend on gMail sync to keep up with them. I won't call any app out, but I would be looking at those that allow you to enter contacts into your phonebook, ie Handcent, Chomp, goSMS, etc... Basically anything that is allowed to "Read Contact Data, Write Contact Data" in the app permissions.