This is a quesion from a technically challenged droid bionic user.

dollym100

Reaction score
Reading the various articles about the versions and updates for droid, I read about the release of the droid 4, or maybe the 5. I also read about the ice cream sandwhich and something about a jelly bean release.

I thought that maybe my phone needed updating, I have the 2.3.4 version and when I checked for updates the message said I was running the latest version, so could anyone please explain what it means when I read that a new android release is coming up. Thanks in advance.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
When an update comes out it will generally get pushed to the phone, unless you go searching for it.

The Bionic is slated to get ICS, but not for a little while as far as I know.

The Droid 4 is a different model and has a new version of Android, but still Gingerbread.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Ice Cream Sandwich and Jellybean are operating systems for your phone. The OS is more or less the user interface of your phone. Usually there are about 2 of these per year that are pushed out as an update you'll receive on your phone. Last year was Froyo and Gingerbread, this year will be Gingerbread and ICS, not much is known about JB. Don't worry, you'll know when ICS is released because I'm pretty sure your phone is supposed to give you $100000000 or something...

OP
D

dollym100

Reaction score
Well that should help out for a while. Thanks for info

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
A couple of things about OTA (Over The Air) updates...

1) They are RANDOM. So random that if you bought 2 Bionics the same day, one could get an update days after the other. Back in 2009 when the OG Droid was getting its first update, someone had set up a Google map where you could "stick a pin" showing where and when you got the update. No rhyme or reason at all.

2) They can load in the background. If they do, when you bring your phone up from sleep (i.e., bringing the screen up) it'll say you have an update available. This is assuming you leave your phone on (maybe connected to a charger) all the time.

3) When you check for updates, you are sending a signal to the carrier. The carrier checks your version and IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity) number and if you're scheduled to receive it, you'll see a message saying so. This means that if you're scheduled to get an update on March 14th at 3:47am, your phone will say that it's "Up to date" even though others have been getting the update since February 10th.