this is a bunch of crap

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by markmicallef, Dec 21, 2009.

1. markmicallef

markmicallef New Member

http://philosophistry.com/archives/2009/12/20-things-i-dont-like-about-the-droid.html

What do you think?
  2. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Total crap.....Fanboi review....nuff said.
  3. pnickinson

pnickinson New Member

Yeah. Nothing is ever as good or as bad as someone says. :-/
  4. LordKastle

LordKastle New Member

Listen to some of the complaints
    "Uninstalling is too hard."
    "The iPhone has 1 button, this has 4."
    "I felt excitement over the iPhone launch because my friends discussed apps."
    "The warnings it gives me before installing an app make me think twice."

We shouldn't even respond to this thread anymore because we are likely giving the author of that article extra traffic to his website.

Lame
  5. Martin030908

Martin030908 DF Super Moderator

author is a tool. lol
  6. pmc2025

pmc2025 New Member

Probably some sycophantic little hipster who adoooores the iPhone and all things Apple. The simplicity of the iPhone is its biggest failing for us. What you describe as "too hard" is really just a side effect of greater choice and freedom in customizing and altering every aspect of the phone, even down to the base code. Viva la Evolucion!
  7. TekHawk

TekHawk New Member

It made me laugh at the stupidity
  8. Laurence5905

Laurence5905 New Member

"12. Call quality doesn't seem as good as on the iPhone-AT&T."

WHAT?! Are you HIGH?! You're the ONLY PERSON IN THE ENTIRE WORLD who has said this. EVERY other person -- even the most RABID Apple fanboi (I'm specifically thinking of Brian Tong on CNet.com) has said the Droid's call quality BLOWS AWAY the iPhone-AT&T.

And his #16 complaint (the one about the battery cover) -- maybe he should try, I don't know, READING A DROID FORUM once in a while? This is a known issue with the early Droids, and Motorola will fix it FOR FREE!

The only complaint of his that I find even remotely legitimate is the #5 complaint (back-button is ambiguous.) This is true, because some apps actually seem to use the back button as an exit button. But that's really a fault of the app developers, not the Droid in and of itself. Within the Droid's pre-installed apps the back-button is fairly standard.

Oh, and of course his #14 complaint (not being able to talk and use 3G Internet at the same time) is legit, too. But that's Verizon's network, not the Droid specifically...

Heck, just about all his complaints could be addressed by coming to this forum and spending a little time reading... He really should try that some time...

EDIT: And the one thing it seems he missed is the lack of Bluetooth-activated voice-dialing. That's honestly my ONLY major gripe with the Droid, and it didn't even get a mention by him... Crazy...
  9. mth04

mth04 Premium Member Premium Member

Sorry but i'm over those articles or blogs. Sometimes I think those people never even used the device.
  10. imiller913

imiller913 New Member

12. Call quality
    REALLY the iphone is still on AT&T right?!!! The whole thing is a joke
  11. Milehighjc

Milehighjc New Member

I think that I dont care what he thinks :)

In my case, had the iPhone been available on a decent network, I probably would have one right now, and would have missed out on the Droid. As it turns out, I'm convinced the Droid is a phenomenal device, and and for that matter so is the iPhone. I dont have to slam the iPhone to enjoy my Droid, and I couldnt care less what the iPhone fans think of the Droid. Having both in the market will make both devices better in the long term.

... my $.02

jc
  12. Nonie3234

Nonie3234 New Member

I hate to say it, but I kinda agree with this one:

It's the one thing I miss from the BB Store.
  13. Nonie3234

Nonie3234 New Member

14. JayC707

JayC707 New Member

#12 made it quite clear he was only out to bash it, this wasn't an honest review.
  15. boatman2220

boatman2220 New Member

I've read several reviews where it was plain that the reviewer wasn't unbiased. Most were done within a day or two of it coming out and you could tell that they didn't really know about it at all. I'd like them to spent a couple of days here while using the phone and give a review then.
  16. Dr. Tenma

Dr. Tenma New Member

"When you purchase an app, there's a series of yellow warning signs saying things like, "This application has access to System Tools: modify global system settings, change Wi-Fi state, change network connectivity, change your UI settings." Every time I see these, I have an "Oh Crap" moment, when I just pray that the hive vetted this app thoroughly."

I'll admit it, I laughed out loud. I suppose it's okay to have potential malware running in the background sending all your passwords to a remote Russian server... as long as you don't know about it and don't have to worry about it until your phone is bricked, you're living the good life, eh? :D
  17. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

lol damn he is such an Apple fanboy.

I bet he'll switch back to the iPhone as soon as it gets to Verizon.
  18. JayC707

JayC707 New Member

I suppose you're right and this is a valid comment. An easy fix for them to implement...
  19. andrewdoane

andrewdoane New Member

This guy would rather be kept in the dark about what an app can do instead of being appropriately warned by Android.

In his defense, he did make this list too. He says "The Droid has next year's tech, but lacks Apple's polish." I think that's accurate. It seems unbelievably polished to me since I'm coming from WinMo but compared to an iPhone it is a little less polished. If you're looking for the absolute pinnacle in polish, go iPhone. If you want the best phone (oh and the best network too), get a Droid.
  20. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

Of course its' going to be less polished. Android is a fairly new OS and 2.0 is new, period. Not only that but Google may be getting ahead of themselves by trying to have 3 seperate OS goingl; 1.6, 2.0, and soon 2.1. Android 1.6 is polished, just check out the Eris. 2.0/2.0.1 still has some work to be done and of course they're also working on 2.1.

Apple has been in the cell phone game for awhile now, so of course they're more polished. Give Google time and the concentration to one OS, they'll be there in no time. Not only that but Droid is expected to land 2.1 as well, which has been said to be better all around. The reviewer may be right about it not being as stable/polished as the iPhone, but he forgets that Google is pretty new the phone world still and only now Android is getting the attention it deserves.

I'm no sackrider either. The iPhone's OS is very nice. I mean they're on top of the smartphone world for a reason. Everything runs smooth and it's very user-friendly, however unlike the Droid, it doesn't allow any freedom. Talk to any iPhone user and i can almost guarantee you their phone is jailbroken because that's really the only true way to enjoy their iPhone and be free from the shackles that Apple puts onto their phone. The iPhone OS is nice and has been around for awhile, and Apple is very good at getting things done right the first time. However, Android isn't very far behind, if you ask me, and plus with all the updates coming you never know what improvements will be made, and from what i've seen from 2.1, it looks damn good.