This fourm is full of opinions, give me yours...Please

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So Mods can get mad at me for double posting but i put it in the wrong section and nobody saw it. I asked for it to be moved but nothing so here goes:

Need Advice, all input welcome
Ok so since I got my Moto droid (2-3 months ago) I have had a problem with mms (getting some not getting others) usually couldn't get more then 1-2 in a row. I thought it might be a root issue (seemed to be getting all of them till I rooted) but couldn't confirm 'cause I would never stay unrooted long enough for a proper test, lol.

So the other day I had had enough and called Verizon, after 2 different techs couldn't solve my issue (even by disconnecting and reconnecting my service) they agreed to send me a replacement droid.

So I'm happy as a clam hoping my "new" droid won't have the same issues....

Until today for the past 10 min I've been sending myself pic messages and have received ALL of them! WTF!!!

My replacement droid should be here tommorow so what I want to know is, should I take the replacement and send back my possibaly now working phone or should I keep mine and return the replacement?

My current phone seems to be good in all other phases. ie: dosen't seem to run too hot, can handle 1.2Ghz kernals. As far as I can tell the mms was the only issue.

BTW don't think this has anything to do with it because mms wouldn't work thru stock messaging app either, but i started this latest 10 min mms barrage on my phone because I just updated handcent to ver 3.

Also I know there are subtle differences in the phone hardware, What else should I look for to compare the preformance of each phone?

What should I do?

Thanks as always for the anticipated support!

Taegost

Reaction score
So far I've only had one MMS message not come through, but I've been having intermittent issues with my Text messages not coming through to me until I reboot the phone... THAT's pretty annoying, I'm hoping that installing Handcent over the stock app will fix that issue.
I didn't think too much of that one MMS message that didn't come through, but you have me wondering now... I know the one that didn't showed up, and it says "Downloading" in the the message screen, but never actually downloads.

OP
Tallica

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
So far I've only had one MMS message not come through, but I've been having intermittent issues with my Text messages not coming through to me until I reboot the phone... THAT's pretty annoying, I'm hoping that installing Handcent over the stock app will fix that issue.
I didn't think too much of that one MMS message that didn't come through, but you have me wondering now... I know the one that didn't showed up, and it says "Downloading" in the the message screen, but never actually downloads.

Not to get you worried but mine started like that, just kept saying "downloading" eventually it just got very intermitent and random, for mms only, never had a problem with sms.

Wish I knew what to do.
Does anyone know how long I have to return mine or the replacement one?
I would assume 30 days so maybe I can activate the replacement and "try it out"?

Taegost

Reaction score

Not to get you worried but mine started like that, just kept saying "downloading" eventually it just got very intermitent and random, for mms only, never had a problem with sms.

Wish I knew what to do.
I would assume 30 days so maybe I can activate the replacement and "try it out"?

I figured that was how yours started, that's why I wanted to respond, just in case ;)
I believe Verizon gives you 2 weeks to return the old phone, and I have a feeling this may be a software rather then a hardware glitch. Maybe the messages are stored in a folder that has certain size limitations, and the MMS+Text messages exceed that limit... Or file number limitations (I know Windows has an issue once there are more then 8k-10k files in one folder). Of course, these are guesses from a Windows computer tech who hasn't mucked around with the internal workings of the Droid yet :)
Did switching to Handcent help, or did you have the problem even after that?
On the plus side, since you're rooted, switching phones will be a breeze, just use Titanium Backup on your old phone, root the new one, transfer the backup to the new phone, then use Titanium to restore it, then you'll have a brandy-new phone and all your old data :)

OP
Tallica

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Wish I knew what to do.

I figured that was how yours started, that's why I wanted to respond, just in case ;)
I believe Verizon gives you 2 weeks to return the old phone, and I have a feeling this may be a software rather then a hardware glitch. Maybe the messages are stored in a folder that has certain size limitations, and the MMS+Text messages exceed that limit... Or file number limitations (I know Windows has an issue once there are more then 8k-10k files in one folder). Of course, these are guesses from a Windows computer tech who hasn't mucked around with the internal workings of the Droid yet :)
Did switching to Handcent help, or did you have the problem even after that?
On the plus side, since you're rooted, switching phones will be a breeze, just use Titanium Backup on your old phone, root the new one, transfer the backup to the new phone, then use Titanium to restore it, then you'll have a brandy-new phone and all your old data :)

Pretty much been using handcent from the begining but was having the same problem with stock messaging app.

Never thought about too many messages in one folder but my threads haven't been that big considering I switch Roms so much, lol

That was my exact plan for switching phones, thanks for responding Taegost, guess I'm just surprised no one else has...everyone has an opinion on this fourm and was looking for advice on what to do, keep mine or take replacement.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't have any opinion or advice for you as to what you should do, but you'll be happy to know I deleted your other post out of the Incredible Forum.

And I didn't even get mad about it. :D

OP
Tallica

Tallica

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I don't have any opinion or advice for you as to what you should do, but you'll be happy to know I deleted your other post out of the Incredible Forum.

And I didn't even get mad about it. :D

LOL, thanks hook! :)

nerdbox08

Reaction score
You have ten days for them to RECEIVE the old device.

Otherwise you are charged the entire price of the phone.

mcapozzi

Reaction score
I guess it wouldn't hurt to call them and ask if you can send back the replacement instead of the original.

Personally, I would take the phone which has only had one owner (yours) over the one that could have been refurbished more than once. Plus the added headache of backing stuff up and setting everything back up again just doesn't seem worth the price of admission.

The only phone I ever replaced through the carrier was my Palm Pre. In my experience I can say with 100% honesty that the refurbished phones were in worse shape than the one I was sending them (keys were mushy, the slider wiggled, etc.).

You could always get the "new" one and see what shape it is in first. Do a side-by-side and see if it is an improvement. Then make your decision on whether you want to try to keep ours or send it back.

-Mike

flyer05

Reaction score
My opinion is that I don't like raw onions. Cooked is okay but raw nay,nay. Again just my opinion.