This forum makes my brain hurt

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by WarsDarksider, Apr 2, 2010.

1. WarsDarksider

WarsDarksider New Member

I (just like many people on this forum) am a curious person. I come to this forum to research the benefits of rooting my motorola droid. To my surprise, the users on here are MOSTLY helpless. Don't jump on me for saying that, but I have SEARCHED to forums, looking for the answer "should I root my droid". Every topic I read is the same thing, "if you need to ask, don't" or "i hate it when people ask this". JUST ANSWER THE QUESTION. There doesnt seem to be any definitive posts that are stickied and I also didn't see a straight list of benefits. Yeah I know the basics, overclocking homescreens live wallpapers, and app removal. I know I can reverse the process, but all I'm saying is that AFTER I looked for answers, I still couldn't find any on here! I am a computer and phone savvy person, I tried the research and it just annoyed me to find the 2 most referenced sites (this and droid-life.com) I still am undecided! So if anyone could find it in them to post links or their own "tweaks" they've done, maybe some screenshots, i don't know. It'd be greatly appreciated. Sorry for the rant if you actually made it this far.
  2. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

You are obviously looking in the wrong spots, because I'd say most of the people here are helpFUL. So you are looking for benefits for rooting your phone? Custom Roms, over clocking, wifi tether, customization, and many more.
  3. WarsDarksider

WarsDarksider New Member

Wow, that was fast. I wasn't saying everyone, just the people that responded to the posts I was looking at. Well in answer to your question, all of the above. There are just SO many different mods its hard to choose. I was hoping for a comparison of the different ROMS if all of them have the same basic customization, I know about overclocking, and honestly have yet to research how safe it is at whagt speeds. I'm just asking for peoples droid set-up with maybe what customizations they have with which rom etc. Not really which is best, because everyone has their own opinion. You know what I'm saying, just a breakdown of what I can do with what. Thanks for being understanding. Oh big question because iit just came up, do any of these mods let me set times for email notifications!? I looked through the basic settings, but seen nothing like my voyager where I could set it only to notify during certain hours! Thanks again
  4. bomber889

bomber889 New Member

Well you can research all of the different ROMs in this forum. I personally like Ultimate droid
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bl...mooth-too-many-fixes-themeable-framework.html
    this is adamz rom
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/adamz/29999-rom-tgz-smoked-glass-v6-0-03-15-android-2-1-ese53.html
    and Bugless beast
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/bu...east-v0-9-awsome-features-nexusmod-works.html
    I personally have used all 3 and I like Ultimate Droid the best.
    You can learn about overclocking in this thread
    http://www.droidforums.net/forum/blackdroid/31461-over-clocking-101-concert-blackdroid-roms.html
    And I don't think you can set up what time you want your notifications, but you can turn them off and manually refresh your email.
  5. adrynalyne

adrynalyne Premium Member Premium Member Developer

Its simpler to decide what you want out of the phone, what you would like to change, etc.

Then ask for what would accomplish that task.
  6. RoLa

RoLa New Member

What exactly are you looking for as far as answers?..You've stated some or the obvious benefits of rooting in your post. The reason why you think the users here are MOSTLY helpless, is because the people who come on here in their free time to try and help other people, are stuck in an unimportant thread trying to defend one of the few helpful websites to trolls looking to start a thread for no GD reason. I have learned everything I know from this USELESS website and if you are wondering...Yeah....I'm a little offended that somebody would just start a rant post before even trying something...You say you are computer and phone savvy....ROOT it...If you are unsure ...keep reading....It's obvious you have done SOME research so you know that DMUpdater can root and un-root all within the app...I was going to be nice and post a link...but since we are all useless...go look for "This is what root means...stop asking"

EDIT:UNSUBSCRIBING
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  7. NeverEndingXsin

NeverEndingXsin New Member

Ill list some of benefits of rooting and brief descriptions to help you :)
    -Custom ROMS: basically custom made ROMS for your DROID. these roms may come with a different theme than the normal stock, as well as tweaks/fixes to improve performance.
    -Over Clocking: allows you to set the speed of your droid higher than normal with a program called "setcpu" which can be downloaded from the markets a dollar i believe. basically you can greatly improve the speed of your droid meaning things will load faster and such.
    -Wifi Tether: allows you to have internet ANYWHERE. for example you could be stuck in an airport and turn it on to give your laptop FREE internet through your phones 3G network.
    -Custom Themes: by using a program called "Metamorph" you can apply custom appearances to your droid. aka change how things look, for example the notification say you hated the default stock white color you could change it to oh say black or transparent depending on what you prefer.
    -Scripts: by using a program called "Terminal Emulator" you can remove some of default system applications(corporate calendar, car home, etc) or blockads in every program/browser, change your system fonts, etc. Theres a lot you can do.
    -Custom Boot animations: pretty self explanatory but ill explain anyways. do you ever get tired of that boring old droid eye boot animation? want something different? well with rooting you can either use one that somebody else made or even create your own :)

There's much more that you can do with rooting but thats just some of the stuff. Ill be honest with you rooting compared to the normal stock stuff, rooting wins by far. Your phone is faster, smoother, better looking, more customizable, etc. It may seem scary at first but once you get the hang of it changing roms is nothing, hell i do it during class all the time or right before i take a shower(just press a few buttons then get out of the shower and BAM its done).

I really hope this helps you :)

-NeverEndingXsin
  8. cupfulloflol

cupfulloflol New Member

If you understand what rooting is, what it's pros and cons (none obviously :p ), and still need to ask the question "should I root?" The correct response is probably no. If you wanted to do it already, if you saw enough benefit you probably would have rooted already. You shouldn't need that extra shove to push you into doing something you don't want to do. We aren't salesmen (well some of us probably are), we aren't really here to assist you with life decisions.
  9. possessedskier

possessedskier New Member

Maybe this is the type of answer you're looking for:

If you're satisfied with your Droid as it is, then don't root. If you like tinkering with the latest technical toys then root. I think it's more of a hobby type thing for all of us than anything else.

I bought a Droid in December and rooted in February. I have installed the Bugless Beast roms, overclocked kernels, and wireless tethering. I have never had a problem that couldn't be solved by looking on this or the rom developer's forum. It's all pretty simple once you figure it out. My phone runs trouble free, smooth, and fast 99% of the time with far fewer force closes than I had before I rooted. I love tinkering with it to see how good I can make it look and run. If you're that type of person, go for it!
  10. nateccnn

nateccnn Member

I know what you're talking about. The first few days I was poking around here and alldroid I felt the same way. And it annoys me to no end when people feel a need to respond by saying "Gooly..we have discussed this already...why can't you just search". That is just a waste of bandwidth, but they can't help themselves...they feel a need to contribute usueless bits of data on the thread. But they are right too.

My suggestion...keep reading. It will eventually start to make enough sense that you'll feel comfortable flashing. And when it doesn't work you'll get an uneasy feeling...but you'll come back and search for more specific information and you'll grow the knowledge bank. Watch the detail while you learn. Read the questions that the installer asks. MAKE NO ASSUMPTIONS! Read The Questions! Read them again. Then respond. So many times I breazed over the install question "Which programs do you want to remove" as saying "which programs do you want to install" and deleted a bunch of stuff I wanted. Also...many times I rooted and thought it was a success only to find out I was not rooted. Why? I missed the respnse that said Install Failed. LOL

Relax...get a cup of coffee. Read slowly. Enjoy. Don't let the nay sayers irritate you...they do what they do because they were raised in an ugly environment. They do have valuable info...they just don't know how to socialize correctly. LOL

Nate
  11. nnmeriF

nnmeriF New Member

Don't root your phone bro take it from some one who's been there and back the Droid already comes good to go
  12. Se7enLC

Se7enLC New Member

I agree. There's a lot of information on here, and a lot of helpful people, but it's very hard to find what you're looking for.

Sticky threads acting as an FAQ seem to only include outdated information. Dozens of dozens of walkthroughs give very detailed but sometimes incorrect information. Sometimes even very explicit questions get asked, and the people that respond are incorrect.

This site could benefit highly from having a wiki. Forums are good for troubleshooting, getting help, asking questions/advice, and other time-sensitive things. Wikis are good for keeping a record of things like answers to frequently asked questions, directions on performing common tasks, and others. And because a wiki is editable easily, it can stay up to date, unlike a sticky thread.

(This is by no means meant to be a criticism of the mods - forums are notorious for being a great way for outdated information to surface again and again).

I think the majority of the frustrations of "stupid questions" come from people asking very open-ended questions after clearly doing no reading at all. Things like "How do I root my phone?" or "What is root?" or "I can has tehthers plz kthx" are so common and overly explained it's not even funny. But they show up so often that it can be hard to find the "reliable" answer that a wiki would have.

EDIT: as for your actual question, you already listed off some of the benefits of rooting. Overclocking, wifi tethering, app removal. Theming is the other thing, along with being able to replace system apps (like the dialer, text messaging app, gallery, etc). Root is just superuser access. It's only needed if you want to do something with your phone that you can't already do. If you're perfectly fine with it out of the box, there is no reason to root.
  13. loop4zil

loop4zil New Member

To the OP....

:icon_evil:DO NOT ROOT....{channeling Sam Kinison}AAAAAA AAAAA AAAAAAAAA!!!!!!:icon_evil:

I kid I kid...

There are many great reasons to root and flash as stated by lots of folks on this thread...HOWEVER...what is not stated (or at least I di not see it) is that once you root and flash roms{channeling Jim Rome) you....will....not...be....able...to ....stop.

I have flashed 1 million* ROMS....I have applied over 640* meta morph themes....I have killed and resurrected my phone at least 75* times. For me It is more for kicks ("look what I did!") than actually improving the phone...and I even managed to improve the phone

*approximate numbers based on exaggeration and imagination
  14. Jonny Kansas

Jonny Kansas Premium Member Rescue Squad Premium Member

I agree with the above few posts. There's no clear answer to whether YOU should root, because we're not you and we don't know you. Read up on what can be done if you root using the links you've been provided. If that sounds like your cup of tea, go for it! We're here to help you if you decide to root, but that has to be your choice because it has risks and via the warranty.
  15. Flomaster

Flomaster Premium Member Premium Member

you know I have heard about Wiki's before and honestly NEVER used one only wikipeadia when searching on google and it pops up as a result.

what does a WiKi do on a forum such as this one...and yes I am members to forums whom have them, but I do not use them because frankly I have no idea how or what a WiKi is

-=Jason=-
  16. WarsDarksider

WarsDarksider New Member

Hey thanks everyone that gave positive posts, even though some didn't read my clarification that was requested by bomber. As for those who still threw the if you have to ask crap in my face, read my response. I'm not asking should I, I am, done deal. I was asking for info on what people have done to their Droids and which rom they prefer. There are many out there. I'm sorry if I came off strong to the users being useless, but it just makes me angry instead of using their time to type out an opinion they rather waste their time telling people that they are wasting their time lol. Well I got some good answers, I will check out Ultimate Droid and Bugless Beast to start. As I stated, i'm trying to narrow it down, because 98% sure i'll be like possesedskier and the guy a few posts above that said he changed it a million times! I'm like that. Feel free to keep throwing out replies and opinions, and I once again apologize for coming off harsh, I just know that if I'm going to click the reply button on a post, it's not to put someone down.
  17. pyro6128

pyro6128 New Member

If you want to customize your phone but arent afraid of ruining it, then root. If not, then don't. But there really is a huge amount of info on this forum. MANY people have used the info to root and learn a lot about the process. You may just need to read up on everything more if you're still not comfortable. In terms of roms, if you would like to know the differences between them, you should check out the roms section and look at the different ones offered. Look at the change logs, look at whats included, and read what users have to say in each thread about the roms. I'm very selective with my roms and constantly read, reread, then read some more everything I can find on a rom or update I'm thinking of installing. That is why I'm still on ultimate droid 7.8. I like this version very much, and there are minor issues with some later verisons that I would rather not deal with. But when an update comes that I like, I'll update. The point of all this is that you should not take short cuts. Read everything you can and you'll be significantly more informed. If you have to ask what the benefits of rooting are, I'm sorry, but you clearly haven't read enough.

All that being said, the people on here are very friendly and love helping others. Myself included. It just becomes frustrating when the same exact questions get asked and answered all the time. So if that's what you're experiencing, don't take it personally.
  18. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Reminder

We are all here to help each other. I don't give a flying fluke how many times somebody ask a question. It it annoying? Yes sometimes. But the point is we need to learn and help each other. If you don't like the question either don't respond or give the guy a link to set him on the right path.

Also someone mentioned getting an incorrect response. That's going to happen, I've done it myself more then once too. That's how we learn from each other. If you take someones advice and it was wrong that's just the way it goes. It is after all a forum.
  19. truckrod

truckrod New Member

Hello! like most on here i have rooted my phone back a time ago. and i have put a ton of roms on this phone and have used several m metamorph themes . all the roms have some kind of problem in them i think it is because of the leak build that it's not perfect yet !!myself i like certain roms but certain parts of them do not work like some the video player will freez up sometimes the metamorph doesn't apply themes. . it's just always about doing something with a certain rom or switching back to a nother rom. setting it all back up and metamorphin it. And figure out if you can live with a specific rom that works for you. But guarantee you will have to always do or change something. And i like this !!!this is fun for me and i look forward to changing or doing something to a rom or a theme
  20. r1nstang

r1nstang New Member

you're looking in the wrong spot or asking rudely. I've had tons of luck with people helping me figure out things that they would consider simple things. Today I had a guy help with getting my notification font color changed. and others help me with this or that and I'm actually learning. I just went thru the framework-res of a theme and modified the notification icons...battery volume, signal etc etc etc to items that I want them to be. In other words im mixing and matching the themes people are posting to make them more unique to my taste. So heres a quick THANK YOU to everyone on this forum for all the help and patience ya'll have!