This --><-- close to rooting

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
I've printed all the text inputs for easier reading when I start, downloaded all the necessary files for the latest BB / overclocking, read the destructions 3 times thorougly. I'm used to flashing bios's, dvd drives, know a good bit about puters (since DOS and command line zip) and I'm still stuck on worried.

Don't want to brick it, but I want to overclock and I want the 5 home screens.

Just a word or two of encouragement.

Zargon

Reaction score
If you can follow instructions, you will have no problem doing it. I was a bit apprehensive at first too, but took the plunge. You sound well prepared, go for it!

Erron

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Do it! Just use droidmod to root. There is absolutely no way you can screw it up. Easiest thing on earth. I was scared as well. Now I have laoded about 30 roms, and did a factory reset with .sbf three times. Youll be fine.

Also, Ive seen only one instance of someone truly bricking their phone. And that was debatable.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've printed all the text inputs for easier reading when I start, downloaded all the necessary files for the latest BB / overclocking, read the destructions 3 times thorougly. I'm used to flashing bios's, dvd drives, know a good bit about puters (since DOS and command line zip) and I'm still stuck on worried.

Don't want to brick it, but I want to overclock and I want the 5 home screens.

Just a word or two of encouragement.

Well, if your worried at all but you want to go for it why not Droidmod and then drop BB in afterwards. That takes care of all the rooting for you and you can see what's happening right in front of you.

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just like Hookbill said, when this phone was first rooted I was a little nervous, but yeah definitely go with DroidMod. It is idiot proof and does everything for you.

korp

Reaction score
Its really pretty unlikely to brick ... especially if you just follow step by step you should have no problem.

iamthewalrus

Reaction score
As you can see this is my first post. I have been following this forum very closely the past few weeks since i got my droid. I am like Desso, I am incredibly close to rooting my phone, have downloaded all necessary components including dmupdater, cant wait to click on it and get the ball rolling. I see that if something does happen that there are plenty of people on here willing to do whatever they can to help you get your phone back to normal. As I am not incredibly tech savvy be prepared for alot of questions fellow droiders.

SANhacker

Reaction score
Not to add to your confusion but I would avoid DroidMod.
Since you have experience back to the DOS days, I would recommend reading the Matth3w instructions so you know exactly what you are doing every step of the way.
Complete How To Link

Going back to stock is simple via the virgin_oem nandroid process so don't worry about bricking your phone.

Just my two cents.

M

Matth3w

Wow, two plugs for my how to in one thread. Amazing. lol That thread has like 2k views already.

If I could only get that much traffic to my blog haha

M

Matth3w

I can add it but honestly things like titanium backup install it for you....so if you follow my guide which includes using titanium backup, it will install it for you. And it's a lot simpler than using ADB to push it to the phone.

Alternatively I think you can just take the two busybox files and use Root Explorer to put them in the /bin and /xbin directory. Correct me if I'm wrong.

mrdroid

Reaction score
I can add it but honestly things like titanium backup install it for you....so if you follow my guide which includes using titanium backup, it will install it for you. And it's a lot simpler than using ADB to push it to the phone.

Alternatively I think you can just take the two busybox files and use Root Explorer to put them in the /bin and /xbin directory. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I didn't know Titanium Backup installed it for you. I use a terminal app that said it included busybox but after installing busybox was still no where to be found. Which is why I hunted down a guide for it.

Using the ADB push is still useful to know though.

I think if you just place the files there you still need to run the --install command.

M

Matth3w

You might be right. Maybe I will add a section on how to use ADB.