This battery is killing me.

OP
mynamesjose

mynamesjose

Reaction score
I agree check signal strength. If it's not that then it's probably your battery.

Alright. So I unplugged my phone at 9am. It was dead by 4pm. It didn't save my info for some reason so here is what I did. For about an hour I rearanged my home screens. After that I didn't really do much, I sat in my campus student center and I texted a few time but I didn't do much else. By my 4o'clock class the battery was dead. I didn't make any calls, go on the market or browse the internet. Seriously WTF? All the apps I have are rated 4 stars and above with no complaints of battery stealing. I think it may just be my battery.

What's your signal strength like at school? A poor signal can really kill the battery.

Pretty good actually except for today (I didn't seem to be getting a good signal but 7-8hours is usually what I get.)A steady 3+ bars. I am going to check out spare parts.

debrah.h48

Reaction score
You better not keep your battery for charging whole day. Let that discharge fully and later u can keep that for charging for 3-4 hours.

[email protected]

Reaction score
iheart radio app

I bought a Droid Eris this past weekend mostly for the iheart radio app. I listen to several stations from XM radio and wanted to get rid of the XM and just use the phone. The trouble is that I can't get the i heart radio to play all the time. I am a truck driver and although my signal is good the station says "buffering" a lot of the time. Any suggestions?? Anyone tried a signal booster, are they worth the money??

OP
mynamesjose

mynamesjose

Reaction score

Silver Member
Reaction score
It fully discharges almost everyday lol.
never, ever, fully discharge a li-ion battery.

Theres nothing I can do. I go to class and by the time I get home my phone is dead.
if the phone turns itself off, you have not completely drained your battery. the phone knows to shut off before that happens, so as not to lose any data. but completely draining a li-ion is the worst thing you could do to one.

with that said, do you not have full coverage while in class? if that's the case, you should be shutting your phone off. lack of cell coverage is the #1 battery drainer. your phone uses more power to search for a signal than it does with full coverage. going in and out of concrete buildings, basements, etc., could mean that you're in areas where there's no coverage.

or you could put it in airplane mode. either way shuts off the phone's ability to search for a signal.

ShowTime

Reaction score
640k makes a good suggestion. It may look like you have a good signal while you're using the phone but you might be losing signal in certain areas without knowing it when the phone is in your pocket. It'll be annoying, but just as a test for a day, try putting the phone in airplane mode when you aren't using it (during your classes and such). If the battery life dramatically increases, there's your problem. If it's only slightly better (since even maintaining a good signal uses some battery) we'll have to brainstorm some more.
Also, I'm not sure if it's been asked, are you running any Widgets/how many/which ones?

ShowTime

Reaction score
And 640k, if the phone powers down before the battery is truly completely drained and wont power back on without charging, how could you ever actually fully drain the battery, thus risking data loss and such?

Silver Member
Reaction score
And 640k, if the phone powers down before the battery is truly completely drained and wont power back on without charging, how could you ever actually fully drain the battery, thus risking data loss and such?
yeah, i don't know. i bet one way would be to leave it uncharged for a week or two. that would do a number on it.

DessoThumbs

Reaction score
Alright. So I unplugged my phone at 9am. It was dead by 4pm. It didn't save my info for some reason so here is what I did. For about an hour I rearanged my home screens. After that I didn't really do much, I sat in my campus student center and I texted a few time but I didn't do much else. By my 4o'clock class the battery was dead. I didn't make any calls, go on the market or browse the internet. Seriously WTF? All the apps I have are rated 4 stars and above with no complaints of battery stealing. I think it may just be my battery.

What's your signal strength like at school? A poor signal can really kill the battery.
not only that but it'll heat your Droid up as well.

OP
mynamesjose

mynamesjose

Reaction score
never, ever, fully discharge a li-ion battery.

Theres nothing I can do. I go to class and by the time I get home my phone is dead.
if the phone turns itself off, you have not completely drained your battery. the phone knows to shut off before that happens, so as not to lose any data. but completely draining a li-ion is the worst thing you could do to one.

with that said, do you not have full coverage while in class? if that's the case, you should be shutting your phone off. lack of cell coverage is the #1 battery drainer. your phone uses more power to search for a signal than it does with full coverage. going in and out of concrete buildings, basements, etc., could mean that you're in areas where there's no coverage.

or you could put it in airplane mode. either way shuts off the phone's ability to search for a signal.

I usually have reception in most of my buildings I go into. Very rarely do I not have service. And I am only in these builds for no more then 1hr15mins at a time. My student center may be the problem because that's where I get 1 bar or so. I'll give it a try and see what happens.

OP
mynamesjose

mynamesjose

Reaction score
Heres my battery use thus far:

Background data is on. No GPS or Wifi. Full service.
Unplugged for 2hrs 20mins. (Really like 5hrs cause I tossed it on the car charger for no more then 10mins, while I was listing to music. It was at 80% then. )So I lost 20% in 2.5 hours? I am losing about 12% battery life every hour.
I am at 60%. There is no way this should be this low. I've only sent 20 or so texts.

Display 36%
Phone Idle 16%
Cell Standby 25%
Core Apps 6%
Android OS 4%
Facebook 3%
Messaging 3%
Home++ 2%

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Heres my battery use thus far:

Background data is on. No GPS or Wifi. Full service.
Unplugged for 2hrs 20mins. (Really like 5hrs cause I tossed it on the car charger for no more then 10mins, while I was listing to music. It was at 80% then. )So I lost 20% in 2.5 hours? I am losing about 12% battery life every hour.
I am at 60%. There is no way this should be this low. I've only sent 20 or so texts.

Display 36%
Phone Idle 16%
Cell Standby 25%
Core Apps 6%
Android OS 4%
Facebook 3%
Messaging 3%
Home++ 2%

Wow that looks fairly normal, I'm leaning more and more towards that your battery might not be up to par. Did you try looking at spare parts?