Thinking of Voluntarily Giving up Unlimited Data

m3incorp

Reaction score
I currently have 2 smart phones and a dumb phone that are not on the share plans. I need to upgrade the dumb phone to a smart phone (good grades promise). My current plan is my smart phone has unlimited data, the other smart phone has 2GB monthly data. 2500 talk minutes between the three and unlimited texts, plus overseas calling plan. Current plan cost $205 monthly including taxes ($2460 yearly).

Here is the dilemma; For the past two years, my smart phone that has unlimited data has used under 1GB a month (yes only 1), the other smart phone uses between 1-2 GB monthly consistently. Total talk time averages 700 minutes monthly and thousands of texts.

Last month I used the upgrade that the dumb phone was due to upgrade my phone and keep unlimited texts. That leaves my phone and the other smart phone eligible for upgrades. The other smart phone does not intend to upgrade until next year when the future iphone 6 comes out. I could upgrade the dumb phone using the upgrade that is due the other smart phone and which would add $30 monthly to my bill making it $235 with taxes ($2820) which equates to an increase of $360 yearly.

Or I could switch to a family share plan where all the phones will share 6 GB data (able to up to 8GB on any month I may foresee a spike in data for $10), unlimited talk and unlimited texts, plus the overseas calling plan for $208 monthly ($2496 yearly) which is only an increase $36 for the year over current plan.

My decision is based upon, if it is worth it to maintain the unlimited on my phone for a cost increase of $330 yearly when I don't even use a GB of data monthly.

Keep in mind, I'm in my low low 50's :), not a gamer, don't typically stream anything to the phone, as I'm usually in Wifi range. I play music on it during my hour long cardio daily workouts. Don't listen to music during the weights part of the work out.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I gave up my unlimited data when I went from vzw to att around this time last year. I really do not miss it because I have wifi at the house and wifi at work if I need it so I am ok. Personally I budget for the 6gb though I am on a 4gb plan. I have 2 devices on my 4gb plan my n2 and a mobile hot spot card I bought my grandmother (who is in another state) so she can go online with her ipad we bought her for Christmas last year. Last month was the closest we came to busting the 4gb plan as we was using facetime and video chat just eats data and even then we burnt 3.1 gb of data. On average we make it monthly with almost half of my data left. Be cool if at&t had roll over data.

If you do not use data hard and you have an upgrade due then it may not be a big deal IF you are saving money. Now where you may save is if you use more minutes and text than data going to the share plan may benefit you. Otherwise I would highly recommend you look at your bill now and what it will be once you go family share because once you switch there is no going back.

OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Reaction score
The money itself isn't an issue. It's just that I don't enjoy throwing away money. It looks like if I keep data, I will be paying $330 a year just for that "one time" I may need more than 6GB.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The money itself isn't an issue. It's just that I don't enjoy throwing away money. It looks like if I keep data, I will be paying $330 a year just for that "one time" I may need more than 6GB.

That I understand and agree with, but I suggested checking your bill because let's say your bill now is 90 bucks per month (because data is 30 month regardless of what you use) but you go to family share and your bill is now 130 a month. Yes you save $330 now by going share but the 40 extra you pay a month will be 960 dollars you will be paying over your 2 year contract so you would be actually losing out if you go to family share.

Now if your bill is $115 now and after family share it is $120 then you would be wise to switch because the extra $5 over 24 months will be 120 so that is a wise trade off.

That is why I suggest you look at your bill now vs what it will be once you switch.

OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Reaction score
Thanks, according to Verizon my bill will increase by only $3 total if I do the switch to family share. Current bill is $205 including tax. Family Share would be $208 including tax.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
cool then yes that will make sense to make the move.

Last thing look at the avg data you use per month and make sure the plan they are quoting you fit the usage. If so I would make that deal. I ended up saving as well going from unlimited to share plan but I know there are stories of people who ended up paying a lot more and that is why we want to make sure you the consumer goes into the deal eyes wide open and understanding what is going on. Right now vzw is doing everything the can to get people off of their unlimited data because they now realize data is a cash cow. If you going to give it up make sure you get something out of it. Example: I said I was going to give up unlimited data a long time ago but I waited until when vzw had one of the double data or buy one get one free promotions. So basically try and get what you can out of this deal when you give up your data. Negotiate, negotiate, negotiate.

Good question and you look like you have this thing well thought out.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you need 6gb one month you can get the extra at a per gb rate. I think it's $10 a gb but I'm not sure. At any rate if you need more that one month only then yes it'll be more that month but that month only.
I just voluntarily gave up unlimited as well but mine is different. I went with the Edge Max plan and instead of unlimited I get 6gb for the same $30 I was paying and I , like you, never use more than a gb for most of the same reasons as you.

Support Our Troops!!!
<><
Notate

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just changed and it was $15 a gb. If I just let it go when I got the phone, the payment would be the same, but only 2 GB. Actually I only use 1.5 so that would be fine. I did go with the Edge plan as well. If I bought the phone outright, and keep unlimited, It would have to go over something like 20 months to make it worth while.

The company I work for is paying my phone bill so it won't matter that much.

OP
m3incorp

m3incorp

Reaction score
I just changed and it was $15 a gb. If I just let it go when I got the phone, the payment would be the same, but only 2 GB. Actually I only use 1.5 so that would be fine. I did go with the Edge plan as well. If I bought the phone outright, and keep unlimited, iI would have to go over something like 20 months to make it worth while.

The company I work for is paying my phone bill so it won't matter that much.

On the share plan, it looks like you can bump up 2GB from the 6GB that I would do for $10 as long as you call in and change the plan before you exceed your data. That's a good deal you have going with your company paying the bill. :)