Thinking of Rooting DX - Need advice

Sniper_5

Reaction score
Yellow highlighted button boots you into recovery.
460f66dd-81e4-de87.jpg

Sent from my DROIDX

OP
Z

zeldarocks

Reaction score
Wait, so if my phone goes the way of the dinosaur, will i not be able to boot into recovery by booting my phone?

huskur

Reaction score
Here is the fast and easy method to what you want to do.

1. Install Z4root to your SD card and run the app
2. Select "permanent root" (which you have done)
3. Install Droid X bootstrap from the Market (Koush is DEV)
4. run bootstrap and select "bootstrap recovery" (do it twice and you will see the word "success".
5. then select "reboot recovery"
6. Select "nandroid backup" (this will make a copy of the stock rom in case something goes wrong)
7. Reboot your phone
8. Download the ROM you want to run and place it on your SD card.
9. Use bootstrap app and boot into recovery and "select rom to install from your SD card.
10. Let it do its thing and then reboot.
11. YAY!!! New ROM running on your X

OP
Z

zeldarocks

Reaction score
Ok, now before I flash the Apex Rom, how do I back up my contacts?

huskur

Reaction score

Select "settings" (your four little box button on the bottom left)

go to "accounts"

Select "[email protected]"

make sure "sycn contacts" is checked, on the same screen select the "menu" button again (four little boxes next to your home button) and touch "sync now"

BAM

KHeeney5

Reaction score

go to "accounts"

make sure "sycn contacts" is checked, on the same screen select the "menu" button again (four little boxes next to your home button) and touch "sync now"

BAM

This will back them up to your Gmail account. You can also use backupassistant.

Edit: Gmail is better. :) After you flash the ROM just make sure to sign in with your gmail account in the setup and you'll get them back after it syncs.

huskur

Reaction score

go to "accounts"

BAM

This will back them up to your Gmail account. You can also use backupassistant.

Edit: Gmail is better. :) After you flash the ROM just make sure to sign in with your gmail account in the setup and you'll get them back after it syncs.

Only reason i explained it this way is because of just what you said. Gmail is the way to go..... after installation of the ROM just sign into our Gmail account and there you go....just as you were before. Back up assistant is somewhat sketchy on reinstall of the contacts. Never did like back up assistant.

OP
Z

zeldarocks

Reaction score
I just thought of something; will flashing a custom rom (ApeX in this instance) eliminate root, the superuser app, and or the Bootstrap app?

KHeeney5

Reaction score
I just thought of something; will flashing a custom rom (ApeX in this instance) eliminate root, the superuser app, and or the Bootstrap app?

You will still have root and superuser but z4root and bootstrap will be gone when you wipe data. No worries. Just reinstall z4root incase you need it and redownload bootstrap for free (now that you have bought it you don't have to pay again)

Good luck. I'll be awake if you need any help. Don't flash a ROM with a low battery. It'll die and you'll have to SBF.

huskur

Reaction score
Forgot about the wiping. Just as said above.....root will still be there. Z4root you will have to redownload for the future if you ever have to root again. Bootstrap should repopulate when you sign into google and your apps reload. If not as stated above....just get it back from the market

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Z

zeldarocks

Reaction score
I have successfully flashed the latest ApeX and the journey is over!!! One more thing though; when I first booted up after the flash, it brought me to a menu with the emergency call option, and when I tried to set up gmail and follow the prompts, it would force close repeatedly. I am now obviously back in, I had to complete the action using something ADW or whatever... Is this any reason for concern?

KHeeney5

Reaction score
I have successfully flashed the latest ApeX and the journey is over!!! One more thing though; when I first booted up after the flash, it brought me to a menu with the emergency call option, and when I tried to set up gmail and follow the prompts, it would force close repeatedly. I am now obviously back in, I had to complete the action using something ADW or whatever... Is this any reason for concern?

Did you get through that screen? It is just the setup. I don't know why it would force close...