Thinking of permanently closing my Droid. Opinions?

wil318466

Reaction score
I'm thinking of permantly shutting the slider. I just never use my keyboard, and the few times I accidentally open it, it actually annoys me.

That sounds weird, doesn't it? I would actually like the phone better if it didn't have a keyboard. For me, its almost useless except for playing punchout on SNESdroid. hah

So, anyway.. I'm thinking of crazy glueing or using epoxy and shutting it forever. Or am I nuts?

Now.. whats the best way to shut it? Any way to do it so that if I wanted to I could "reopen" it?

-Wil

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't do it. I used the keyboard when I manually installed version 2.0.1 and had to reboot. I'm sure there's other times you will need to reboot like that too, so leave it alone seriously, plus you'll void your warranty.

droidfannd

Reaction score
I agree...I *never* use the keyboard on my DROID...but I'd hate to seal it with glue. If you need to do a factory reset or boot it into safe mode...you'll be unable to use the 'x' key.

OHbowhunter

Reaction score
I think a good fix here would be a hard case of some sort that does not allow the phone to slide open.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking of permantly shutting the slider. I just never use my keyboard, and the few times I accidentally open it, it actually annoys me.

That sounds weird, doesn't it? I would actually like the phone better if it didn't have a keyboard. For me, its almost useless except for playing punchout on SNESdroid. hah

So, anyway.. I'm thinking of crazy glueing or using epoxy and shutting it forever. Or am I nuts?

Now.. whats the best way to shut it? Any way to do it so that if I wanted to I could "reopen" it?

-Wil

Just don't open it. That's what I do. Anyway that thing may be needed some day.

You know what I've used the keyboard for? Installing 2.0.1. Couldn't do it manually without the keyboard. I haven't used it for anything since. But who knows maybe when 2.1 comes out there may be a manual install for that again and I'm going to need that D pad and arrow keys.

Just ignore it in the meantime and use the virtual keyboard. I don't even think about it.

baniels

Reaction score
Definite listen to the advice you have been given. Not only would holding X on boot be impossible, you would be eliminating any resell value, and most likely voiding your warranty.

You can get an as yet imaginary case that keeps the keyboard in for $62.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
There is a case that encloses the whole phone so that the slider doesn't come out. I think it's made by PDAir (or something like that).

If the keyboard really annoys you so much that you are considering gluing it closed, maybe you should find an Android phone that doesn't have a keyboard?

OP
W

wil318466

Reaction score
Hmm.. yeah. Maybe glue isn't the best choice. I'll have to look for that case. Thanks man, thats a great option.

And yes, I needed the keyboard to root my phone. heh. I was thinking about that..

-Wil

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
Here it is (I forgot that it's aluminum):

PDair Aluminum Metal Case for Motorola Droid - Open Screen Design (Silver) by PDair - PDair.com

2dwhq34.jpg

natediddy1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would seriously invest in that case also...only if it didn't make the phone bulky, but if it kept it nice and slim, then yes I would definitely buy that

That don't look half bad jhank, niccccceeeee

Last edited by a moderator:

New2u

Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you superglue it you also can never get to the recovery console if something happens to your phone, without a huge hassle. I'd do what others stated and just buy a hard case for it, and that way you have what you want, a phone that is shut 100% of the time, but you can still open in cases you need to.

kenkamm

Reaction score
You could easily keep it from opening accidentally with some carfully placed double sided adhesive tape. Peel one side of the tape off and stick it on, say, the back side of the screen. Attach a piece of scotch tape to the other piece of release paper, folded back on itself. Close the phone. Then pull the scotch tape to peel off the other release paper. This will certainly keep it shut, but with some moderate, constant force you'd be able to shear the double sided tape and open the phone.

Another option would be to find some nice automotive pin striping tape and wrap it all the way around the phone at the seam.