1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Thinking of permanently closing my Droid. Opinions?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by wil318466, Jan 27, 2010.

1. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

I'm thinking of permantly shutting the slider. I just never use my keyboard, and the few times I accidentally open it, it actually annoys me.

That sounds weird, doesn't it? I would actually like the phone better if it didn't have a keyboard. For me, its almost useless except for playing punchout on SNESdroid. hah

So, anyway.. I'm thinking of crazy glueing or using epoxy and shutting it forever. Or am I nuts?

Now.. whats the best way to shut it? Any way to do it so that if I wanted to I could "reopen" it?

-Wil
  2. Vulcan1600

Vulcan1600 Super Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

Don't do it. I used the keyboard when I manually installed version 2.0.1 and had to reboot. I'm sure there's other times you will need to reboot like that too, so leave it alone seriously, plus you'll void your warranty.
  3. droidfannd

droidfannd New Member

I agree...I *never* use the keyboard on my DROID...but I'd hate to seal it with glue. If you need to do a factory reset or boot it into safe mode...you'll be unable to use the 'x' key.
  4. OHbowhunter

OHbowhunter New Member

I think a good fix here would be a hard case of some sort that does not allow the phone to slide open.
  5. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

Just don't open it. That's what I do. Anyway that thing may be needed some day.

You know what I've used the keyboard for? Installing 2.0.1. Couldn't do it manually without the keyboard. I haven't used it for anything since. But who knows maybe when 2.1 comes out there may be a manual install for that again and I'm going to need that D pad and arrow keys.

Just ignore it in the meantime and use the virtual keyboard. I don't even think about it.
  6. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I'd buy that!:)
  7. baniels

baniels New Member

Definite listen to the advice you have been given. Not only would holding X on boot be impossible, you would be eliminating any resell value, and most likely voiding your warranty.

You can get an as yet imaginary case that keeps the keyboard in for $62.
  8. JhankG

JhankG New Member

There is a case that encloses the whole phone so that the slider doesn't come out. I think it's made by PDAir (or something like that).

If the keyboard really annoys you so much that you are considering gluing it closed, maybe you should find an Android phone that doesn't have a keyboard?
  9. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

Hmm.. yeah. Maybe glue isn't the best choice. I'll have to look for that case. Thanks man, thats a great option.

And yes, I needed the keyboard to root my phone. heh. I was thinking about that..

-Wil
  10. jigsawkilr

jigsawkilr New Member

I agree with a hard case that will not let it open. Great idea.
  11. wil318466

wil318466 New Member

Hmm.. can't find that case. Any links?
  12. JhankG

JhankG New Member

13. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 New Member

I would seriously invest in that case also...only if it didn't make the phone bulky, but if it kept it nice and slim, then yes I would definitely buy that

That don't look half bad jhank, niccccceeeee
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 27, 2010
  14. New2u

New2u Super Moderator

If you superglue it you also can never get to the recovery console if something happens to your phone, without a huge hassle. I'd do what others stated and just buy a hard case for it, and that way you have what you want, a phone that is shut 100% of the time, but you can still open in cases you need to.
  15. kenkamm

kenkamm New Member

You could easily keep it from opening accidentally with some carfully placed double sided adhesive tape. Peel one side of the tape off and stick it on, say, the back side of the screen. Attach a piece of scotch tape to the other piece of release paper, folded back on itself. Close the phone. Then pull the scotch tape to peel off the other release paper. This will certainly keep it shut, but with some moderate, constant force you'd be able to shear the double sided tape and open the phone.

Another option would be to find some nice automotive pin striping tape and wrap it all the way around the phone at the seam.
  16. mjs31

mjs31 New Member

Don't if you ever want to Root and use Sprecovery.
  17. Noidguy

Noidguy New Member

I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one who has considered this. Responses posted have made valid points against doing it though.

One thing that WILL get glued at some point on my Droid is the volume rocker. I am constantly hitting it, changing my ringer volume - especially when using the camera. Moto could take some lessons from Apple on device design - there is no need for that volume switch when there is a software setting! My temporary solution is the app that asks me if I'm sure I want to change the volume. If I ignore it, the volume stays the same. I shouldn't have to pollute my Droid with apps to get it to do (or not do) what I want though.
  18. funken

funken New Member

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010
  19. iPirate

iPirate New Member

why dont you use a little glue on a case
  20. xliderider

xliderider New Member