Thinking of making the switch

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
I am thinking of trying this ROM (6.0.0) but was wondering how stable it is and what exactly is RC2 and RC1? I'm not really looking for a theme per-say but, I like the notification bar to be black; I think I remember reading somewhere that is an option with this ROM.
Just looking for some feed back as far as known bugs, speed and stability.

Thanks in advanced.

Taegost

Reaction score
RC stands for Release Candidate, it's usually the final rounds of open beta testing before a piece of software is considered stable and "released".
I have been running RC1 since it came out and it runs like butter on my phone. RC2 got really wonky on me, especially with Google Voice, so I switched back to RC1. I may wipe my data and cache and before trying RC2 again, but I have to wait until I have a few days where my phone can go crazy and not have it affect me too much, just in case :)
All in all though, I have been a big fan of the CyanogenMod ROMs, I've been using them since v5 something and they always seem to be the smoothest and most stable ROMs... I just wish someone would port the Nextheme to 6 :)
I dunno about changing the notification bar, I would like to do that myself but I've been too lazy to look for the option :)

OP
YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Thanks for the reply - I have always heard good things about CM, just never tried one of their ROMS before. I may wait until RC2 becomes "official" before I give it a try though.

AutoCANE

Reaction score
I just switched from Kangerade to CM RC2 and I couldn't be more pleased. I had read about their customization options and I have to say they really are great. And the ROM is 100% stable on my phone with a 1.2 overclock.

I am really pleased, if you're thinking about switching I say do it. I was hesitant to jump to another ROM but now that I did it I am glad I did.

OP
YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Yeah, thus far I've gotten nothing but positive feedback. Think I'll have to make the switch this weekend when I have time to set everything up again - my least favorite part about switching ROMS :eek:hmy:

Taegost

Reaction score
Yank - If you use Titanium Backup, you can use it to re-install all your apps and data when you flash a new ROM... I paid for it specifically to have the ability to do it automatically, so after I flash a ROM, I install TB first and get it going while the phone is syncing, within 30 minutes and a reboot later, everything is back the way it was :)

OP
YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Yank - If you use Titanium Backup, you can use it to re-install all your apps and data when you flash a new ROM... I paid for it specifically to have the ability to do it automatically, so after I flash a ROM, I install TB first and get it going while the phone is syncing, within 30 minutes and a reboot later, everything is back the way it was :)

I haven't had much luck with it restoring my data. Specifically for K9 Mail - I always have to reset the POP3 and SMTP.

Taegost

Reaction score
Interesting, what options do you choose to back up and restore?
I always use the "Back up all user apps and system data" and I choose "Restore all apps and data". I don't have an issue, it even puts back my bluetooth pairing and remembered wireless networks

OP
YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Interesting, what options do you choose to back up and restore?
I always use the "Back up all user apps and system data" and I choose "Restore all apps and data". I don't have an issue, it even puts back my bluetooth pairing and remembered wireless networks

I think that is what I did. Anyway just deleted all my backups in titanium and did it again with the apps & data option. Think I'll flash this ROM when I get home tonight :D

AutoCANE

Reaction score
Something you might want to know before flashing...

If you install an overclock kernel, you may notice issues with losing root. There is a known bug w/ SetCPU and the update SU 2.2.2 app. I had the problem, and I rolled the SU app back to 2.1 as suggested in the CM6 FAQ.

If you don't roll back you will notice things start acting funky (I had a constant message that Titanium Backup has been granted SU Permissions).

So far this is the only hiccup I have noticed, and the workaround was very easy. I guess the developers are working on an actual fix.

OP
YankInDaSouth

YankInDaSouth

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.wix.com
Thanks for the heads up. I did flash over to CM RC2 last night but didn't stay too long as my WiFi would not stay connected for some reason. Didn't have too much time to figure it out but I'll probably try it again over the weekend. I was having a lot of fun playing with the notification/status bar tweaks though :)

psychotic_penguin

Reaction score
I wasn't having any trouble with it until I flashed the new P3 kernel today that's compatible with TempMonitor. The only difference is it now shows the real time CPU temp, I never had the problem with the previous P3 which is all I run.

Anyway I flashed back to 2.1 and all was solved. Didn't lose root or anything untoward, I noticed a significant difference in the snappiness of the ROM.