Thinking of making the switch from Droid Incredible

Dadeo

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I have the original Droid Incredible. It's been a very great phone - ALWAYS reliable, and it does most everything pretty darn well. I'm thinking of switching over to the S III as I'm way past an eligible upgrade with Verizon. I'm just curious to know if anyone here has made the switch from the original DINC to an S III. I'm also considering the new DINC 4g lte, but after reading the specs and functionality on the S III, it looks like it would be a much better bang for the buck. The new DINC looks like my original DINC with 4g and an updated OS. The S III on the other hand has what looks like tons more options and capabilities.

Just curious if anyone has switched from the DINC to an S III and how's your experience been?

Thanks in advance.

kparks

Reaction score
Dadeo said:
Hello everyone,
I have the original Droid Incredible. It's been a very great phone - ALWAYS reliable, and it does most everything pretty darn well. I'm thinking of switching over to the S III as I'm way past an eligible upgrade with Verizon. I'm just curious to know if anyone here has made the switch from the original DINC to an S III. I'm also considering the new DINC 4g lte, but after reading the specs and functionality on the S III, it looks like it would be a much better bang for the buck. The new DINC looks like my original DINC with 4g and an updated OS. The S III on the other hand has what looks like tons more options and capabilities.

Just curious if anyone has switched from the DINC to an S III and how's your experience been?

Thanks in advance.

I got the s3 and it's ok nothing special if u have and like ur original Inc why not get the Inc 4G lte its a great phone a little cheaper but u get the same processor just clocked slightly slower if I were u I would go with that don't get caught up in all that other crap..

drew

Reaction score
Wife went from DINC 2 to SIII and she thinks it is a much better experience. She originally got the DINC 4G LTE and hated it.

The SIII is the hottest phone on the planet right now. The flagship Android phone until the new Nexus devices come out. I can only say I love mine, and I've had the OG Droid, a Droid 2, a Thunderbolt, and now the SIII. The SIII is far and away the best piece of gadget hardware I've owned.

TheOtherChris

Reaction score
I had a (Verizon) DINC for a couple of years and loved it......until the dreaaded "low memory" error became a regular occurence. After having to hard reset 3 times in just a few months, I gave up. Now, understand that my phone is provided for work. I called corporate and they said they would send me a 32gb iphone 4s and I "would love it."
I gave it a fair try for a little over a month and sent it back.

I now have an SIII.
First, it is so much easier (for me) to use than the iphone that I can't believe it.
However, the OS does behave differently than my DINC. It is obviously larger but the screen is beautiful. The screen is also much easier to see in daylight than the DINC. My battery life with SIII is about the same as I got with the DINC and extended battery, which means I barely get through a full day of use. I don't like needing special drivers to connect the SIII to a PC. I used my DINC like a flash drive and that was nice.

OP
D

Dadeo

Reaction score
I use my DINC very often for swapping files like pictures and videos to my computers hard drive... What's this about needing special drivers?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

bsweetness

Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2 XL
I use my DINC very often for swapping files like pictures and videos to my computers hard drive... What's this about needing special drivers?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2

I wouldn't say it needs "special drivers," but for some people, downloading an updated driver via Samsung's site is necessary in order to connect the phone to a computer via USB. This isn't the case for everyone. I didn't have to download them on either of my computers. I just plugged my S3 in via USB and it worked just fine. It's no different than any other USB device. They all need drivers in order to work properly. It just seems that with the S3, the drivers aren't installing properly for some people just by plugging the phone in, so they have to download them.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Sorry to butt in here but I am just noticing bsweetness that you are a moderator! Congratulations! What a wonderful addition to the DF moderator crew! Lots of smiles!

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Sorry to butt in here but I am just noticing bsweetness that you are a moderator! Congratulations! What a wonderful addition to the DF moderator crew! Lots of smiles!

I'm just surprised he has time to post out here. We had him cleaning the bathrooms and our cars :D :thumbup:

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yeah, he's a wonder man, lol! I better lie low... I don't want to find out what other job responsibilities come up, lol!

wcjeep

Reaction score
Our S3's connect to our Win 7 computers with no special drivers. Decent download speed to memory too. The phone is awesome. I keep mine on battery save mode. Can't believe battery lifted vs my Nexus.

JFrawls

Reaction score
I made the lead from the DINC to the SIII and am VERY pleased with the switch. I was so fed up with the "low memory" issue in the DINC i was constantly clearing cache and un-installing apps to get it to go away. The size difference will take a little getting used to but once you do you will love the device!

I got the 16gb version and use a 64gb sdxc card :biggrin:

TheOtherChris

Reaction score
I wouldn't say it needs "special drivers," but for some people, downloading an updated driver via Samsung's site is necessary in order to connect the phone to a computer via USB. This isn't the case for everyone. I didn't have to download them on either of my computers. I just plugged my S3 in via USB and it worked just fine. It's no different than any other USB device. They all need drivers in order to work properly. It just seems that with the S3, the drivers aren't installing properly for some people just by plugging the phone in, so they have to download them.

If the drivers are not standard on the computers I use, I call them special. I use USB flash drives all over the place, but I have yet to sit down to a computer that would "see" my S3 without downloading and installing the drivers. Now eventually most of the machines I use will have them installed, but it is annoying when I use someone else's and have to wait for a driver before I can transfer a file. Sometimes it is just faster to email it from the phone to the PC and pull it from gmail.

Other than that, I am VERY happy with the phone.

k1ngr4t

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Z Force
Hm, every smartphone I've ever had has needed "special" drivers to connect to a PC. If that's a complaint of yours for the S3, then you might want to rethink your standards. Otherwise you'll always have at least 1 thing to be sad over...

In those rare occasions where it's too much of a hassle to wait 20 seconds for drivers to auto install, then the great thing about smartphones is you can email it to your PC instead. Not trying to flame, just saying that's not the phones fault, drivers are necessary to run any kind of software.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
I think the only thing theotherchris was saying is that it is annoying. He actually ended his post saying he really likes his phone. I love my phone but there are things that are annoying. Just life's little inconveniences... they happen, we get annoyed.

And just a little heads up, sometimes when you do install the drivers, you have to install them again. I was beyond annoyed when I was backing up my son's Rezound to the pc before upgrading it to ICS and it wanted to update the driver. No big deal but it wouldn't finish because I kept getting a prompt in the middle of it to add hotspot to my plan. It took me forever before I realized maybe if I restart the pc. Then all was well.

I love technology, but it does sometimes frustrate the bejeesies out of me.

TheOtherChris

Reaction score
I think the only thing theotherchris was saying is that it is annoying. He actually ended his post saying he really likes his phone. I love my phone but there are things that are annoying. Just life's little inconveniences... they happen, we get annoyed...

BINGO.
K1ngr4t, my Droid Incredible did this seamlessly without any input from me. My previous smartphones did as well.
The S3 does not (and when I have to look up the driver on the internet and then wait for it to download and install on the PC, it takes longer than 20 seconds.)

So, my answer to the OP's query is that that aspect of the change is annoying....to me.

YMMV.