thinking of going 2.1... but dont want to loose my data...

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by spacemanps, Feb 16, 2010.

DroidForums.net is the premier Android Forum - Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!
  1. spacemanps

spacemanps Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Okay so i have been debating going to BB 2.1... now i know its going to wipe my data and i sorta dont want that.. So what i did was i made a nandroid back up with ONLY data... if i go through the steps (AllDroid - View topic - [ROM] Bugless Beast (Android 2.1)) there and then do a restore from that back up will i have all my apps and contacts and my individual ringtone preferences and what not?
  2. Matth3w

Matth3w New Member

Fort Huachuca, AZ (Originally from Pittsburgh, PA)
    Ratings:
    +0
    I didn't try it QUITE like you did...

But I did try to install BB2.1 with just system and boot over my old 2.0.1 and it didn't work. You definitely need to install the data portion as well.

Now AFTER that if you could install your data over top of his, not sure. I didn't want to take the chance so I just did it fresh.

One thing I would suggest though is, make a FULL backup just in case you don't like the ROM or have problems. You can always uncheck everything but data to do a data backup. You don't have to use the restore to install everything every time.
  3. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    It's not advised to restore the Data from a 2.0.1 ROM onto a 2.1 ROM....cause think about it, the apps you have now were installed successfully onto 2.0.1, not 2.1, and by restoring them to a 2.1 ROM it is not technically installing them.....see what I mean? It would be "healthier" you could say, to back the apps up, and then reinstall them to 2.1 to ensure they are installed properly....you could get a lot of freezes and reboots otherwise

Cause there may even be some apps that do not go well with 2.1 yet anyways....
  4. spacemanps

spacemanps Member

Ratings:
    +0
    i was actually going to start fresh, AKA go back to stock (unroot) then redo everything... i just was thinking if i just put the 2.1 rom over the old one id have exess files that are unneeded that would possibly junk up my phone...

what i really want to save is my contacts ringer preferences... i have so many people with individual ringtones.. and to go and set all those up is a pain in the a$$...

oh and what about my apps i paid for... if i do a fresh install with out a backup how do i get my paid apps back? will it realize i have already paid for it?
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2010
  5. Yakuzagang5

Yakuzagang5 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Get the app MyBackup Pro or free (dunno if free does everything) but that will take care of that. And ALL paid apps stay in your download section on the Market and will show up as "Purchased" and all you will have to do is reinstall it.

2.1 Roms will NOT work with 2.0.1 data installed, so dont try it lol
  6. spacemanps

spacemanps Member

Ratings:
    +0
    what about ringer preferences..
  7. gnmitchell

gnmitchell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use Astro to backup all of my apps. I then make sure to do a nandroid backup before wiping and trying different Roms.
  8. gnmitchell

gnmitchell Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Are you talking about different ringtones for certain contacts? If so, and I could be wrong here (and I'm sure someone will correct me if i'm wrong :))you will have to re-do your ringer preferences.
  9. spacemanps

spacemanps Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yeah i was hoping i wouldnt get that answer... i have ringtones for different people in my phone... so i know whos calling without having to look at the phone.. I have like 10-15 ringtones for people.. damn you scuba steve!