Thinking of getting the X2, but not sure

jacobbones

Reaction score
Hello, I have been up for an upgrade since january but have been waiting for next round of phones to come out.

I am currently using an Env touch which annoys the He** out of me, touch screen never works right and it resets itself if I look at it the wrong way.

I originally was waiting for the bionic, then the delay. Then I was gonna wait for the Iphone 5, but the fall is a long ways off.

So now Im pondering the X2. Everyone I know with the Droid X say its a good phone. The only drawback it has to me is that it has no physical keyboard.
Plus if I renew now I can get in before the tiered data plans come around which is next month from what I heard

What do you guys think?
I keep hearing it has no 4G or front camera but my area wont get 4g for a while and I am not gonna video chat or take pics of myself so the camera dont matter.

I dont really see anything on the horizon besides the droid 3.
Unless anyone knows of something worth waiting for?

Any input would be appreciated

Last edited:

HEMLOCK

Reaction score
I was in the same boat. Always waiting for the "right" device. The way i see it, no matter what you buy....something better will always be on the horizon. If you wait for the Bionic, then something better & newer will likely come out a couple months after that. Its a never ending loop.

I wont have 4G service in my area for probably 1-2 years, so i have no need for a 4G device. Coming from an original Droid, i know im making the right choice with the X2 other than the fact that it probably will not have an unlocked bootloader. However, the dev community found a way around the original X....so we'll see! A dual core, bigger display, & a lighter weight phone are the 3 things im looking forward to.

Best of luck with your decision!

Zog

Reaction score
I'm holdin out for the droid 3, if it's going to be released after the data deadline than I'll get an x2. I see no rush as of right meow, LTE isn't yet confirmed for the 3 either.. I hope it does get it so you dx users can feel the pain of limited dev support.

debrad0307

Reaction score
I am currently using an Env touch which annoys the He** out of me, touch screen never works right and it resets itself if I look at it the wrong way.

LMAO I know how you feel. I used to have an Env touch!

Tappin' away on my DROIDX

debrad0307

Reaction score
Just ordered my DX2, will have it Friday before 3PM. Sooo excited! :icon_ banana:

I wanna look into one but I have to go to Verizon to play around with it first... only problem is, if I like it I have to pay full price. No upgrade for me yet. :-(

Tappin' away on my DROIDX

OP
J

jacobbones

Reaction score
I'm holdin out for the droid 3, if it's going to be released after the data deadline than I'll get an x2. I see no rush as of right meow, LTE isn't yet confirmed for the 3 either.. I hope it does get it so you dx users can feel the pain of limited dev support.

I am pretty sure I read somewhere the droid 3 will be 3g.
If you google droid 3 and go to news section it was in there somewhere.

milkisfun

Reaction score
Don't worry about the no physical keyboard thing. There are so many good soft keyboards for Android it won't be an issue, esp. on a 4.3" screen.

DyMiC

Reaction score
I currently have in my possession an HTC Eris (Previously Used), OG Droid (In Use), and my Droid X (In Use). Love the Droid and Droid X. But... I'm thinking... should I just sell the OG Droid and Eris, and get an X2, and then wait, and sell the X, and get whatever newer phone I can? I'm eligible for a discounted upgrade right now. Don't get my full upgrade till October. I'm thinking, maybe I should wait a few months until a few revisions of the phone come out. I'm pretty happy with my DX. But Dual Core seems so tempting. Oy. Decisions.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I currently have in my possession an HTC Eris (Previously Used), OG Droid (In Use), and my Droid X (In Use). Love the Droid and Droid X. But... I'm thinking... should I just sell the OG Droid and Eris, and get an X2, and then wait, and sell the X, and get whatever newer phone I can? I'm eligible for a discounted upgrade right now. Don't get my full upgrade till October. I'm thinking, maybe I should wait a few months until a few revisions of the phone come out. I'm pretty happy with my DX. But Dual Core seems so tempting. Oy. Decisions.

I'm kinda kicking around the same idea.. Imagine the X2 with a ROM OC'd to about 1500ghz. WOW!! :icon_ banana:

bigdad63

Reaction score
Couple hours old.

I too am in an area I don't believe will be seeing 4G until at least 2012. I spoke with a couple of VZ reps and they seem to think that is a decent guess. Plus with all of the trouble they've been having with 4G I'm not going to be too thrilled to jump on it right when it first hits. That said, even if 4G gets here by the end of next yr, I'll still only have about six months to wait (and watch the bugs of 4G get ironed out) until I can get a 4G phone. Why did I just get the DX2? Coming from a D1 I get a bigger/higher resolution screen, MUCH better camera and video recorder, more memory (although they got skimpy with an 8mg card this time) and dual core. The lack of a front-facing camera for video chats doesn't bother me. I have Googles videochat on my laptop that works well and I never use it. Initial impressions are: all of my programs are running faster (games are much smoother), I have for the first time on 3g watched youtube videos in regular and HQ without any buffering (on the d1 it's usually 7-20 times with stoppages of up to 1 minute), the screen is very responsive and snappy (it also has an anti glare and scratch resistant coating that helps fingersmears become a lot less noticeable). I just downloaded AND installed Gun Bros in 10 SECONDS. I took several minutes on the D1. One other thing I'm also pleased with is that the stock dialer finally has a built in T9 search. What's not so good? The speakerphone is clear, but not very loud volume wise. The web browsing is only marginally faster (but does scroll very nicely). I have noticed a few jagged edges in some rendered lines. The jury is still out on the physical buttons because right now they require pretty heavy pressure to engage them. The lack of a physical camera button is not a deal breaker, but a little irritating. Overall, after only a few hours, I am enjoying the phone and am leaning towards keeping it. So it could be bye bye:motdroidvert:!

PS-Picked it up at Best Buy for $199 after "borrowing" my daughter's upgrade (Hey, she's a texter and doesn't need a new phone :))

Last edited:

rushmore

Reaction score
All I "know" is:

1. Nobody knows what will happen with data plans or if 4G will be grandfathered (VZW concern is 4G bandwidth- per their CFO)
2. Tegra 2 rocks. I have a gTablet and it smokes the 8655 in the TB
3. Droid X is solid built device now improved with brand new innards.
4. Easy to root for ridding bloat and using Titanium
5. Moto already promised Gingerbread
6. The super sweet VZW devices are probably coming in the fall (hence the "know", since I am using an "educated" guess)
7. Reports are the Droid X2 has the same or better radio reception of the DX1
8. Netflix works
9. New stuff will keep coming, this is good stuff NOW.

Last edited: