Thinking of getting a used Droid

jammer34

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting buying a Motorola Droid from a friend of mine who is upgrading to the new Droid Incredible. I have a few questions in which I hope that soemone can answer for me before I plunge $300 into getting this phone. I do not plan on using the Droid to its fullest potential at this point (can't afford the monthly costs), so here are my questions:

1) Can the Droids GPS be used without activating the phone?

1a) If not, can I just get a prepaid plan so that the phone is usable or do I need the full blown data/voice plan to use the GPS?

2) Would Verizon even let me activate the phone without the full blown Data/Voice package?

3) Is the Google Maps database fully loaded on the Droid or do I need data service to look up directions or a place?

4) How can I download and install apps other than doing it via the data plan service? Can I download and insatll them via wifi?

Sorry for the Newbie questions..

MrKleen

Reaction score
If you want to activate the phone you will need to get a data plan. You will not be able to use your phone as a gps without having it activated. Offer your friend $200 and take the difference and pay a couple months of service.

If you are not able to activate the phone and really use it, I would hold off on buying it because it will do you no good.

You can get a Garmin gps for less money and all the maps are loaded and you never have to pay anything. From your description of your needs, I think this would be the better way to go.

If you are able to buy the phone and activate it I know you will love the phone.... it is AWESOME!

OP
J

jammer34

Reaction score
Thanks for he quick reply MrKleen!
Is the data package subscription for the Droid a Verizon policy or is it that the Droid simply will not function without it? I understand that the data package is mandatory to buy the Droid thru Verizon and get the promotion, but I am only activating an existing phone. For example, after the initial contract is up, I won't be able to take the data package off my plan and just use it as a normal cell phone?
In regards to the GPS, I am looking to downaload a golf course app on the Droid. I some areas some golf courses, service is nonexistent. Does this mean that the Droid GPS will not function correctly? I thought that it took signalng off of GPS satellites, not cell phone towers.

qat

Reaction score
Alright Jammer. I'm not so sure i'd be spending $300, or even $200, for a used droid. I'd say offer him $150, and go up from there. I'm trying to pick up an unactivated one to try something similar.

Since the phone offers WiFi connectivity, you could theoretically nuke the phone and data plan, and just use WiFi to make Skype calls. Don't make the plunge just yet, i'll be documenting my journey in doing so.

Anyone else able to comment on its capabilities while NOT activated with Verizon? The Market is a Google based service, not Verizon, so your carrier package/plan (or lack thereof) shouldn't matter...

OP
J

jammer34

Reaction score
Thanks for the info qat! Just to give a little update, I did ask Verizon about what plans I can use with the Droid. As MrKleen had referred to, Verizon will not activate the Droid without me having to get the full blown Voice and Data package. To rub more salt in the wound, Verizon also said that the Droid must always have this package, not allowing you to drop the data service so as long as you subscribe to Verizon...
Let me know how things go w/ the unactivated Droid qat, I'm very interested to see what can run without subscribing to Verizon.

OP
J

jammer34

Reaction score
Well, I spoke to a Motorola rep for the Droid today.. The news seems to get worse.. I was informed that, if unactivated, the Droid will not get passed the "activate me" screen thus rending it quite useless. The rep did say that Motorola does sell a Droid that can be activated without Verizon intervention to make it usable, but I haven't asked their sales dept yet on how they do this.
Question: Does a 'rooted' or 'unlocked' phone mean that the phone is activated?

bikeking8

Reaction score
Playing with an "UnDroid"®

I recently got a Moto Droid w/qwerty slideout keyboard from my brother in law. Haven't activated it, but you can connect to wifi and access the android market. I've downloaded a good number of apps and widgets only using wifi.

In fact I might just use it as a PDA and get a dumbphone when I upgrade. I'm paying $67/month right now and my bill would be easily over $100 if I activated the thing with that mandatory data package.

How successful have you been with your UnDroid, qat?

Lenster

Reaction score
I bought a used Droid on EBAY after doing much research on prepaid cellular services.

I went with Pageplus which is a Verizon Virtual Network operator. This means that you get the same network quality that you get with Verizon. I recommend you use a pageplus dealer as it is less hassle and no extra charge. I use Kitty Wireless.

Pageplus has three plans which you can read about on their web site. I don't know If I can put links in here, but pagepluscellular is the name and kittywireless is the other.

I use the 12/12 plan which is 1200 minutes voice, 1200 text messages and 50MB of data all for 29.99 no tax, no extra fees. I use the data allotment to read important emails without attachments, sync my contacts and other lite stuff and have no problem staying within my limits.
If I want to do any heavy downloading or web browsing, I go find a wireless hotspot, turn 3G off and use wireless. I am very happy with the service and I love my droid.

I installed a custom ROM and theme and am totally hooked

Edit: Just make sure the ESN is clear before you buy.

Len

beckx020

Reaction score
This is all MHO. Offer $200 for the droid. If you need GPS, download Co-Pilot. It has all the maps on the phone. Google Maps doesn't.

If you don't go somewhere PagePlus doesn't go, then go for their plans.

Shibbey

Reaction score
If you do want a droid, check Craigslist. I have seen them as low as $100 for a working droid.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

kenbiz

Reaction score
300 for a used Droid? Damm sure he's a friend?..lol you could just buy any new Droid for that price

BlackHoleSlam

Reaction score
i actually just bought a used droid off a guy from craiglist have to wait till saturday to activate but it works beautifully really great

Shibbey

Reaction score
I am trying to locate a cheap one. Looking for a test phone. Getting tired of flashing my in use phone. Anyone have one, or know of one for sale?

Lenster

Reaction score
Pageplus goes everywhere verizon does. Its the same network.

Len