Thinking of getting a D2

Reaction score
The wife is in need of a new device, she is finally fed up with her blackberry. She does want a physical keyboard as well as all the benefits of android os. I found a place that sells them nib for 135. I know the device is getting up there in age, but will it preform admirably? She basically needs it for email and be able to interact more via social apps (shes a blogger, and needs to post pics on the go to facebook etc). Would it be worth the cost to purchase a new one? Thanks.

albinoman

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Its a great phone that is very reliable. The stock software would be perfect for your wife.

OP
Enemyofthestate
Reaction score
albinoman said:
Its a great phone that is very reliable. The stock software would be perfect for your wife.

Thanks for the reply. Thinking about pulling the trigger. Can the os be updated? Does it need to be?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

albinoman

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you get the phone from Verizon it should already be updated.

albinoman

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Well than it should update to 2.3.4 when you get it.

blitzburgh39

Reaction score
Reliable? Is that a joke? Every D2 I have seen is extremely buggy. My ex had one and the touch screen would go crazy and start clicking random things. That was with her first one and her replacement. IMO the D2 is garbage.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Should work just fine. The 1ghz cpu will do the trick!

+1...I had the d2 and many others when they released I bought one and had it til finally gave to a friend 1 month ago...Still running smooth for him as well. No different than any other android as far as the once in a while lag or fc...but that's going to be with anything android for the while. So many apps and etc... Mine was modded back and forth daily for at least the two years I had it...You'll be fine....and happy!!!!!! Take it from me..I'm considered a good judge of devices. ( awe I'm awesome! Lol) jk enjoy brother...

Simply Amazing ...
Essentially Stunning,
Motorola Droid Razr---->Minimum<-----:)
Tapped via Red Xparent Pro>:-!

albinoman

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
blitzburgh39 said:
Reliable? Is that a joke? Every D2 I have seen is extremely buggy. My ex had one and the touch screen would go crazy and start clicking random things. That was with her first one and her replacement. IMO the D2 is garbage.

Dude chill out. Just because you saw a few bad d2's doesn't mean its going to happen to everyone.

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
I love my D2, but I rooted it back in the day to get rid of all the bloatware and now am running it rommed. It's stable as can be. The stability of any stock D2 depends on how well it plays with all the extra crap Verizon puts on it. Mine used to freeze and reset multiple times a day and battery life was just okay. It would also act squirrely with the charger plugged in.

Not sure if you've looked into it, but it would be worth your time to learn about rooting and possibly flashing a rom before you power the phone on and take the Over the Air Update. As of now once you get it the device can't be rooted at all.

All VZ phones have some sort of quirks because of their modifications, but the Droid 2 is a great phone despite all of Verizon's apparent efforts to make it otherwise.

MIUI tested, mother approved.

OP
Enemyofthestate
Reaction score
MissionImprobable said:
I love my D2, but I rooted it back in the day to get rid of all the bloatware and now am running it rommed. It's stable as can be. The stability of any stock D2 depends on how well it plays with all the extra crap Verizon puts on it. Mine used to freeze and reset multiple times a day and battery life was just okay. It would also act squirrely with the charger plugged in.

Not sure if you've looked into it, but it would be worth your time to learn about rooting and possibly flashing a rom before you power the phone on and take the Over the Air Update. As of now once you get it the device can't be rooted at all.

All VZ phones have some sort of quirks because of their modifications, but the Droid 2 is a great phone despite all of Verizon's apparent efforts to make it otherwise.

MIUI tested, mother approved.

Thx. It appears that i will be getting a d2. Im sure when i do ill be back in the forum asking for advice.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm happy for you.. great device! Get some cm7!!!! I have an SD card loaded with roms and mods for that device...if your ever into it let me know via pm...

Sent from my Droid Razr using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

OP
Enemyofthestate
Reaction score
droid2drummer said:
I'm happy for you.. great device! Get some cm7!!!! I have an SD card loaded with roms and mods for that device...if your ever into it let me know via pm...

Sent from my Droid Razr using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

Thx. Honestly will probably keep her stock until i get more comfortable with Android os.