Thinking of doing a full reset, questions

ThirdWheel

Reaction score
My phone has been acting like a edited by moderator for the past couple days. Locking up completely (needing a battery pull) randomly not playing music (Filetype not supported even though it's music I play all the time). Sirius is acting crazy, navigation takes forever (1-2 minutes) to figure out driving directions.

This all started a day or so after the 2.2 upgrade..... but I'm hoping it's something else.

OK so the questions, what do I need to back up? Will all my apps be completely deleted? My music/pictures/etc will be deleted off the SD card?

drunkclever

Reaction score
Sup thirdwheel...
I just did the same thing yesturday. I did not move my apps to my sd card and now I regret it. I took and made backups of all my pics. Just to be sure I would have them. After the hard reset, i noticed nothing was effected in my SD card. GL with your phone.

gl.
Drunkclever.

OP
T

ThirdWheel

Reaction score
Not worried about reloading my apps, I want to do that, I had too many on there anyways, this time I'll just load what I need.

When you say everything on your SD card was effected, you mean it was erased?

OP
T

ThirdWheel

Reaction score
That was easier than I thought, kept most of my app settings, just installed the ones I wanted set up my tasker profile and placed all of my widegts / icons and I'm back in business.

Hopefully this resolves the issues I was having, or the 2.2 is the culprit that borked my phone.

Nadious

Reaction score
I just did a reset this morning. (2.2). Phone has been great for several days after the upgrade, but last night... started to reboot like crazy. The odd thing was that I could make it reboot by just lightly shaking the phone when it was vertical. Naturally, I checked all the connections, the battery, everything I could think of. Even uninstalled a ton of apps. Still same thing.

I decided to do it this morning just to see. I've got the phone back to where it was (minus several apps that I don't need) and so far, I can't get it to reproduce the same thing. I'm hoping it fixed it, but whats odd is that the phone would shut down and reboot, even when the MOTO logo would come up (well before the OS was loaded.) So, that's what made me think it was something hardware related.

Barryvabeach

Reaction score
I don't know all the issues, but made a draft FAQ that is in pending submissions

OW TO PREPARE FOR HARD RESET AND RECOVER

If you are concerned that an app has corrupted some settings, or otherwise think you need to do a hard reset, this covers some of the before and after steps

1. Make a list of all the apps that you downloaded that you want to use in the future. You will have to download them again after the hard reset, it will goes much quicker if you have the names spelled correctly, also write the name of the author if the app has a common name.

2. Take a Screen shot How To : Droid X Screenshots or take a photo using a digital camera, or use pen and paper to write down what icons you have on each of your screens so you can recreate them after the hard reset

3 Run Backup Assistant to backup your contacts. It is also helpful to write down your PIN so you can reinstall your contacts after reset. On mine, I forgot it, and hit the button for Forgot Password, and it just gave me the PIN.

4. Write down your gmail address and password - you will need to login after the hard reset.

5 Write down all the user info for each of your email accounts and any wireless passwords.

6. Copy to your computer any data files - photos, video, or music.

PERFORM HARD RESET

After the hard reset, you will need to do the following - it took me about 15 minutes, not including the time to download and install the apps.

1. Power on the phone.

2. Activate the phone - you don't need to talk to anyone at the service provider, and you don't need passwords, etc, put you do need to contact the Verizon server following the prompts on the phone. You might want to avoid a hard reset during early am hours when the server may be down.

Backup Assistant should prompt you to enter your PIN so that it can restore your contact info.

3. Enter the email info for each of the accounts

4 Select marketplace, then login to the gmail account, if you don't use that as a separate email account

5. Change your settings as needed - keyboard, security

6. Enter in wireless info for the wireless networks you are trying to reconnect to.

7 . Pair with your bluetooth device

8 Download and install your apps from your list. I downloaded uninstall first, which makes it easier to uninstall apps later.

9 Set the icons on the screens .

10 Use the usb to copy over any data files - such as videos, music, photos.

knowseeker

Reaction score
Re hard reset and apps

How do you "move your apps" to the SD card? (for doing a hard reset) (and how to reinstall, or can they be left there for convenience? Would also like to make pictures default to the sd card.
Thanks Dave

richardsugg

Reaction score
So I went to 2.2 on my Droid X and am having all sorts of lock-up problems. I'd like to go back to 2.1. How do I do this?

fishstick600

Reaction score
So I went to 2.2 on my Droid X and am having all sorts of lock-up problems. I'd like to go back to 2.1. How do I do this?

Not so easily. You have to get some program and do all sorts of things that unless you are an advanced user will mess ur phone up. Do a reset and wait for the ota.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

richardsugg

Reaction score
I have rsd lite, so if that's the way to go, that's fine. But with a reset give me back 2.1 or just a fresh 2.2?

fishstick600

Reaction score
I believe just removed user settings and wipe the phones hard drive.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

richardsugg

Reaction score
I found instructions at rootzwiki (not sure if I should link to it, but the post was entitled "Droid X" and had instructions on how to use RSD Lite). I'm flashing my phone right now -- hopefully to 2.1. I'll let you know how it goes.

richardsugg

Reaction score
It worked. I had to do a factory reset to wipe the data (was stuck in the eye reboot loop), but after that, it came up.