Thinking of buying.

UNC

Reaction score
Alright guys I'm very interested in the D2G, but I'm not sure if I really want it. I want to hear from some D2G users who used to own either a Droid or a Droid Incredible. How does the speed compare? Does it seem to live up to the 2x+ improvement on clockspeed over the Droid (550mhz vs 1.3ghz)? Does the battery last longer than the notably bad, yet lower speed (1ghz) HTC? I have used a Droid2 and while I did like the keyboard, it was just no where near as fast as my Incredible...

I like my Droid so much that I really want another with the same form.

r314bd

Reaction score
I want to hear from some D2G users who used to own either a Droid or a Droid Incredible. How does the speed compare? Does it seem to live up to the 2x+ improvement on clockspeed over the Droid (550mhz vs 1.3ghz)?

I own a Droid and a D2G and don't notice any significant difference in speed. However, my Droid is overclocked to 1GHz and I haven't used it at the stock clock speed since probably February. I don't generally run any processor intensive apps/games either, but I did install NFS Shift on my Droid and it is fairly choppy. So I suppose it depends just how heavy a user you will be, but if you don't use processor intensive software (and don't travel globally), stick to the Droid.

Last edited:

loki993

Reaction score
I want to hear from some D2G users who used to own either a Droid or a Droid Incredible. How does the speed compare? Does it seem to live up to the 2x+ improvement on clockspeed over the Droid (550mhz vs 1.3ghz)?

I own a Droid and a D2G and don't notice any significant difference in speed. However, my Droid is overclocked to 1GHz and I haven't used it at the stock clock speed since probably February. I don't generally run any processor intensive apps/games either, but I did install NFS Shift on my Droid and it is fairly choppy. So I suppose it depends just how heavy a user you will be, but if you don't use processor intensive software (and don't travel globally), stick to the Droid.

Is the keyboard on the D2G different than the one on the D2?

msu

Reaction score
I've had both D1 and now D2G. I think it is a great upgrade from the original. Keyboard is nicer, it seems to be faster than my 1 oc D1 and for sure the extra memory helps out a lot. I have not rooted this one yet seeing I'm debating about sending it back and getting a DX. I just can't make up my mind which one I want.

Raptor007

Reaction score
I have to say that after nearly a week of using my D2G I find the keyboard easy to use. Very responsive keys and it feels comfortable typing on it.

ElMuneco

Reaction score
I'm also thinking about upgrading from the D1 to the D2G. Would you guys say "Go for it", or should I hold off until the beginning of 2011??

r314bd

Reaction score
I'm also thinking about upgrading from the D1 to the D2G. Would you guys say "Go for it", or should I hold off until the beginning of 2011??
Wait till LTE stuff comes out in Q1 or Q2 2011, IMHO, unless you travel abroad frequently

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
You don't have to wait for a LTE device. I just upgraded to a droid X and love it. Although as you can see I am still using my droid over wifi. I find my self using the virtual keyboard more on the droid after using my X for two weeks. I upgraded because I want unlimited data and I wont be getting LTE service any time soon. When LTE comes out vzw is going to go to tiered data plans.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

Raptor007

Reaction score
Very true, the question of "should I wait until after CES or until the next phone comes out" is very common. For me (and this year alone I have purchased, used, sold and swapped 7 phones) I buy what is available. There is always something better around the corner, and unless you live in an area where LTE will be fully launched in 2011 then LTE really isn't a big deal. For me my market is NOT on 2011 lists so at best I will upgrade in 2012 (if the world doesn't end before I upgrade).

pandabear

Reaction score
I just went from a Droid to a Droid X to a D2G and back to the Droid X. Droid X is the best phone hands down, though the D2G is definitely much better than the original droid, maybe even a little faster than the X. But the X's large screen is sooo nice

Raptor007

Reaction score
I had the DX, and I will agree the screen is great, but my primary goal was not multimedia and the DX was just to big to me. Now deciding between the D2 and D2G, I chose the D2G because it was the latest and greatest and honestly I expected to spend about $200 on contract so it works for me.

jkidd16

Reaction score
You will not go unhappy with a Droid 2 Global. Not only is it faster, but the keyboard looks and feels awesome. The sole reason why I got the Droid 2 Global, and not the Samsung Fascinate which is better spec-wise, was because I had an LG Dare before which has only a virtual keyboard. I wanted to change it up a bit b/c the virtual keyboard was getting boring. The droid 2 global is awesome and I love it, however, if you your previous phone a qwerty keyboard and you want to switch to all-touch or change things up, then by all means get the Samsung Fascinate or Droid X. The droid X was too long for me. The only way that you'll know if its too long for you is if you go the store and try it out. No matter how many videos you look about the Droid X, you'll never know if it's physically the right fit...