Thinking of buying a Droid

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What should I consider when deciding whether to invest in a Droid?

Welcome to the forum, roseladypdx! Consider that you will have an open source, truly customizable piece of technology that you won't be able to put down. Oh, yeah and did they tell you, it's a phone, too?

:welcome:

RoLa

Reaction score
*shouting*...DO IT!!!! ...................DO IT!!!!!!!...............DO IT!!!!!!!!

[video=youtube;GytCEf4Ojpw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GytCEf4Ojpw&feature=player_embedded"]You Tube[/video]

[video=youtube;LXwel89p59c]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXwel89p59c&feature=player_embedded"]You Tube[/video]

:welcome:

INSANENEIVIESIS

Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.shadowrom.com
this phone is then next G1 meaning that the droid will be the focus on the ROM(custom software) developers mind. this phone is almost limitless on what you can customize. and if you cant find it you can always make it if you have the skill. this is the best phone ive ever had the community is the best and will help you with all problems you may have. i bought the droid and never looked back and i wont be traiding in my droid for the nexus or the incredible because there just not for me.

ohh and :welcome:!!

JerzyGirl

Reaction score
and with this forum and all the great info and help you get here...you are so gonna love your phone...its a great choice..and an addiction

OP
R

roseladypdx

Reaction score
thanks for the ideas so far...

Something you all should know - I'm not a techhie (having been born well before 1980) and haven't even figured out my ipod shuffle or my digital camera. Granted, it would help a lot if I took the time to read manuals and such.

How would you rate the Droid in terms of being idiot-resistant?

smrivera80

Reaction score
Hi, Roseladypdx!

I'm not sure what type of cell phone you've been using to date, but if it's not a PDA or smartphone, there is a bit of a learning curve when it comes to the Droid. That's not to say it isn't for you, but it is an important consideration. Having never used a touch screen phone myself, it was a big deal to me to pick a phone that had a physical keyboard to fall back on, which was a big factor in choosing the Droid for me. BUT, I can honestly say that after the first couple of days, I haven't used the physical keyboard at all. The touch screen is just THAT good. To be honest, answering calls on the Droid takes some getting used to, as there are no physical send/end buttons. You answer a call on the touch screen using a sliding motion. After the first couple of times staring at my screen and saying, "I can't answer you!" to the person calling, I got it. LoL! That said, the screen is a beauty, there are apps galore for most every need a user could have, and the integration of Gmail from Google is easy and reliable. Sound quality on this phone is superior, as well. All in all, it's an excellent investment, and I highly recommend it.

JerzyGirl

Reaction score
Something you all should know - I'm not a techhie (having been born well before 1980) and haven't even figured out my ipod shuffle or my digital camera. Granted, it would help a lot if I took the time to read manuals and such.

How would you rate the Droid in terms of being idiot-resistant?
I too was born wayyyy before 1980, and I am soooo not a techie, but this forum, and all I learned from it, mkae me sound smart! LOL...I bought the phone, and begged a friend to buy it too, so he couldn figure it out and explain it to me..thanks to this forum, I am explaining it to him!!

Go ahead...step onto planet DROID!~

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
If this is your first smartphone (it was for me) be aware that there's a $30 per month data fee. This will be the same for any smartphone you get, not just the Droid.

OP
R

roseladypdx

Reaction score
so far so good

Well...
I certainly am impressed with the responses so far. Right now I have a Motorola flip phone (can't think of the model right now) and I was considering a blackberry for easier texting and I also want a full contacts feature. I don't have gmail, but I suppose I can access my regular account through my provider's website. I don't download music, 'cause the stuff I listen to is pretty eclectic and I'm pretty sure Broken Walls doesn't have their music online. I MUST HAVE a navigation system, because I'm navigationally impaired. (If the wise men had had me instead of that big star, they would've ended up in Burbank, never mind Bethlehem.)

It looks like that between all the help on the forum and my friend who has a Droid, I just might start wondering how I managed without one.
Should I keep you all posted on when I get it (my re-up date is at the end of the month) and how I'm doing with it?

Oh - one more question. How do I track this thread?

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Well...
I certainly am impressed with the responses so far. Right now I have a Motorola flip phone (can't think of the model right now) and I was considering a blackberry for easier texting and I also want a full contacts feature. I don't have gmail, but I suppose I can access my regular account through my provider's website. I don't download music, 'cause the stuff I listen to is pretty eclectic and I'm pretty sure Broken Walls doesn't have their music online. I MUST HAVE a navigation system, because I'm navigationally impaired. (If the wise men had had me instead of that big star, they would've ended up in Burbank, never mind Bethlehem.)

It looks like that between all the help on the forum and my friend who has a Droid, I just might start wondering how I managed without one.
Should I keep you all posted on when I get it (my re-up date is at the end of the month) and how I'm doing with it?

Oh - one more question. How do I track this thread?

Yes, please keep us posted on your progress! Remember when you buy the Droid, you have 30 days to make up your mind whether you want to keep it or not. (You won't be sorry!) Besides, all you need to do is post a question here on the forum and someone will jump in to help you out.

You're already subscribed to this thread just by posting in it (and starting it). Click on User CP on the black bar above and it will show any thread you've posted in. :yahoo:

OP
R

roseladypdx

Reaction score
Thank you!

User CP is my new friend! Thanks so much...that's just the sort of help that will make the forum really helpful. (I told y'all I'm not a techhie!)

Anyway, I'll keep checking out the forums and watch this space after 4/30 for the unveiling of my new toy. I think I'll name it ........uh, I dunno yet.

aaf709

Nice Guy
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think I'll name it ........uh, I dunno yet.

I named mine Arty Deco after the Drone in Hardware Wars.

[video=youtube;I7p96aiE32k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7p96aiE32k&feature=related]YouTube - Hardware Wars 1 of 2[/video]