Thinking about rooting

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been thinking about rooting my droid 3. What are the upsides and downsides of doing this?

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
There are no downsides. I guess the downside that could exist would be based off you. You now would have the ability to delete things from "normally" Read-only folders so if you delete some of these you can screw up your phone.

Upsides - Remove some bloatware, use Titanium Backup to backup your apps data (like game saved positions, configured settings in apps, etc..) so if you ever need to do a factory reset, swap out devices, etc...you can easily and quickly restore that data. Future possibilities of overclocking the CPU, installing alternative ROMs vs. the stock, etc...

OP
JohnnyS101

JohnnyS101

Reaction score
There are no downsides. I guess the downside that could exist would be based off you. You now would have the ability to delete things from "normally" Read-only folders so if you delete some of these you can screw up your phone.

Upsides - Remove some bloatware, use Titanium Backup to backup your apps data (like game saved positions, configured settings in apps, etc..) so if you ever need to do a factory reset, swap out devices, etc...you can easily and quickly restore that data. Future possibilities of overclocking the CPU, installing alternative ROMs vs. the stock, etc...

Can you expand on the roms I'm new to rooting

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
Not yet because there are no ROMs other than stock.

However...if we are lucky and can get a bootstrap, recovery and/or unlocked bootloader this can lead to others compiling ROMs from source but adding software tweaks, code replacements and enhancements the stock phone does not come with.

Fr33dom

Reaction score
There is one downside. You have to unroot before you take your phone to Verizon.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you payed for insurance.. simple problems, they won't notice to care. Plus you agree to it when rooting, so the downside doesn't really count. It's your doing should anything happen.