Thinking about Rooting, what are some advantages?

devortiz06

Reaction score
I am thinking about rooting my droid incredible. I want to be able to use the wifi tether for free. I know some of the custom roms can do that but what else can they do? Which rom is best?

I am new to this and am not sure where to begin but I should be able to figure it out. I am good with computers and even JTAG hacked an xbox 360.

OP
D

devortiz06

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick response. Does anyone have an opinion on which rom is best for the incredible?

tribbey

Reaction score
im running cyanogenmod 7 RC2 i love it i tried other roms there nice too but i always end back up with cm7 just learn how to flash roms and what you all have to do and try them all out or the ones that look appealing to you theres really not a best rom its all in how you like it in my opinion

OP
D

devortiz06

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I have rooted it. I haven't been able to find one good guide on how to install roms. Is it really as simple as clearing the data and factory resiting in clockworkmod recovery, then install zip form SD card? All after making a backup of course. I have read things about people using certain kernels with certain ROMs, the ROMs include the appropriate kernel don't they?

coldhardtruth

Reaction score
Ultimate Droid 3.1.1 is pretty wicked. I'm getting about 24hrs of battery life per single charge with it. Plus its insane fast. Def worth checking out.

Sent from my Ultimate 2.3.3 GB Droid Incredible

OP
D

devortiz06

Reaction score
24 hours! I'm at 10% and it hasn't even been 12 hours yet. I will have to try that. But what about the question I asked above?

Thanks for all the info. I have rooted it. I haven't been able to find one good guide on how to install roms. Is it really as simple as clearing the data and factory resiting in clockworkmod recovery, then install zip form SD card? All after making a backup of course. I have read things about people using certain kernels with certain ROMs, the ROMs include the appropriate kernel don't they?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

khw1959

Reaction score
I am thinking about this also. But I am not a big power user. But I hate bloatwear and I am a control freak when it comes something I own(computers) I am tech savy but not rooting savy. If this Inc was not under warranty I would have already rooted.

Godly 1

Reaction score
I too am right on the edge of wanting to root my Dinc... For one reason... And you may laugh... Just to remove the bloatware. That's it. At this point, I am not worried about clocking, or rams, or kernels, etc. I just want to uninstall or delete the preinstalled stuff that I will never use.
Is rooting the only way... Or did I read on some other thread that there is an app that would allow me to somehow move them to a file that I can just bury and forget about?
Thanks!

Brennan_Huber

Theme Developer
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Just read this, at&t is cracking down on people teethering. And it's expected that Verizon follows. Just thought I'd throw it out there. Don't mean to be a Debbie downer but it was the main reason I rooted.

Sent from my DROIDX