Thinking about getting HTC Thunderbird.

AlexSB

Reaction score
Im thinking of getting the HTC Thunderbird when it releases, (should be sometime in January) for a number of reasons. But after reading an article, it mentioned the lack of a Dual-Core processor and with 4g being still fresh, that some android 4g devices with a dual core processor are sure to come.

My question is how important/noticable will a dual core processor be? I currently have a Droid 2.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
no one knows what a dual core feels like. I know there is one cell prototype, i believe, out there (LG star?) that is dual core and i know there are a couple of comparison videos out there.

i like to think of it like a computer, Pentium 4 vs dual core. The difference will be noticeable, but it also depends on the software too (remember Vista? lol).

just gotta play the waiting game.....

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
no one knows what a dual core feels like. I know there is one cell prototype, i believe, out there (LG star?) that is dual core and i know there are a couple of comparison videos out there.

i like to think of it like a computer, Pentium 4 vs dual core. The difference will be noticeable, but it also depends on the software too (remember Vista? lol).

just gotta play the waiting game.....

Lol yea that's what I want to do least is the waiting game, im tired of getting these BS "certified like new" devices im on my 2nd one already, I don't understand why your not entitled to a brand new replacement if you bought a brand new phone. Its like exchanging a new shirt because it was ripped, and in return the store gives you a used stained shirt.

Well yea if I look at it that way then the I-series of new processors are a noticeable upgrade.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
In all likely-hood the performance difference between these 'first-gen' dual cores and a well used (i.e. optimized) single core CPU will be minimal for most normal activities (i.e. phone, calendar, email ect.). First you have to realize (just like with the first 64-bit and subsequent multi-core processors) that the OS (in this case Android) hasn't been optimized for them and it will take a lot of tweaking (likely mainly by custom ROM Builders) to really utilize them. But again, how fast do you need your email client to open. Now videos and games are another story but it will be months before any good games would 'utilize' the true ability of them. Plus you have to remember the bottom line - more CPU cycles shorter battery life, so while you're email client will open faster and games will undoubtedly look better and run faster (if you are into mobile gaming) is it worth 1/2 the battery life of the already short battery life these devices are getting? Even with throttling (which stock kernels don't do nearly as much of as customs) you'll be using a ton of battery life just being in standby.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
that's the way electronics work. when they're CLNR, means the manufacturer is saying it would be like buying a new device, but you are getting it at a cheaper price, or in the case of motorola, free.

I'm anxious to see how the new dual core devices will perform. from the videos i've seen it really is a noticeable upgrade. however, i believe the first wave of devices might seem a little rush and i just got a new contract last month.

i'll let 4g and the devices grow, new technology is gonna be great by the time i can upgrade.

cb7junkie

Reaction score
HTC Thunderbird? Don't you mean thunderbolt?

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
KZI you made some real good points and while I am a gamer, im not much of a mobile one (maybe android devs change that for me later down the road). I have not yet rooted my D2, but im planning on doing so soon so I can see the difference for myself. I probably wont be switching back after all I've read lol.

I've dealt with Motorola customer service a number of times and all I have to say about them are horrible things, which is why I want HTC to see for myself if theres a difference in quality of customer service and in the phones. But I also want to take advantage of 4g I do alot of browsing and Im covered under 4g.

I am actually thinking of waiting to see when news of a dual core will spring up soon, anyone have any info? And Oops yea I meant htc thunderbolt lol

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah motorola sucks... This is my first moto product of any type in years and will be my last... Love(d) HTC and Samsung. here's hoping Vizio starts making phones;)

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
I guess I'll wait to else HTC has to announce at CES. I doubt they'll be pushing out something dual core so soon after unveiling their first 4g phone.

I hear nothing but good things from HTC, but I'll look into the LG star a little more too. So many choices lol

BTW, nice sig lol

cb7junkie

Reaction score
I have a HTC incredible and I love it. The only thing is I think 2.2 killed my battery life. MOTO isn't for me either, but the are supposedly announcing a dual core phone at
C.E.S. called the MOTO Etna. But again, we won't know until C.E.S. has anyone heard anything on the HTC "scorpion"? Rumor has it that HTC changed things up and it will be a dual core lte phone when it is finally released.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

A Nobody

Reaction score
hype...hype....hype I am interested in seeing if it catually lives up to the hype. And will it truly be the best device out....we have a long time after january to see if any other device come out which is better. I would hate to blow an update to find out it was not worth thr hype or that it will take forever to get updates ie htc incredible.

Iowa

Reaction score
hype...hype....hype I am interested in seeing if it catually lives up to the hype. And will it truly be the best device out....we have a long time after january to see if any other device come out which is better. I would hate to blow an update to find out it was not worth thr hype or that it will take forever to get updates ie htc incredible.

In today's day and age I find it silly to sit around and wait for the next best thing to come out...you will be sitting and waiting forever. From my experience I have found that I have never had to wait 2 years with VZW to upgrade. I have always been able to upgrade early. This is why I pull the trigger on the device I want at the time and when new and better comes out I wait for reviews and the opportunity for the bugs to be worked out then I start the process and looking at my options again. I forsee an option in the future after the new 4g phones have been out for awhile VZW will run a promo for people to upgrade to a 4g plan with an early upgrade. I don't fret because I know how marketing works and I have never had a problem getting into a new phone early with a new 2 year re up. Buy the device that suits you and don't waste time waiting for what tomorrow has to bring because you will be waiting forever and miss out on the opportunities of today!

dancedroid

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score
Well that's 2 points for go with what you want and not wait for the best thing to come out, because quite frankly there's always going to be something better. Thanks community I feel more sure about my decision but I still want to see everything CES will have to offer.

The HTC Scorpion got me a little curious so I started looking it up and I think its suppose to be the now thunderbolt. A dual core last minute revamp would be nice though.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Well that's 2 points for go with what you want and not wait for the best thing to come out, because quite frankly there's always going to be something better. Thanks community I feel more sure about my decision but I still want to see everything CES will have to offer.

The HTC Scorpion got me a little curious so I started looking it up and I think its suppose to be the now thunderbolt. A dual core last minute revamp would be nice though.

Don't let us decide for you. When the phone comes out head over to the store and see how you like it. Get a little hands on and then you'll be able to decide for yourself.

OP
AlexSB

AlexSB

Reaction score

Don't let us decide for you. When the phone comes out head over to the store and see how you like it. Get a little hands on and then you'll be able to decide for yourself.

Will do, I was actually thinking about going to best buy and buying a phone from them if they can offer me a warranty where I get a brand new replacement if something happens to the phone and not a certified like new. Does anyone kno if they have something like this?