Thinking about ditching my blueberry. Need to know if the droid is up to the task...

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Pro' started by deputydog95, Nov 22, 2010.

1. deputydog95

deputydog95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would probably be described as a "power user". Lots of phone time, lots of email. I tried the first droid when it came out. Hated it. Mostly because of the whole touch screen thing. And it was a little buggy. Now that they have a real keyboard, I'm interested...

I have a small business which uses a number of different gmail accounts. Between work and personal, there are about 9 different gmail accounts I need to monitor. Can the droid accept that many?

Can I have different signatures for each gmail account?

What about ring profiles? At night, I would like certain emails to ring through and others to remain silent. The original droid could not do that.

Even though I have 9 gmail accounts, I have one with all my important contacts. Can I have it OTA synch contacts with just the one and ignore the rest.

Same goes for my google calendar... I want to OTA synch it with that primary gmail account and ignore the others. Is that possible?

I played with the phone for a bit the other day. The keyboard is quite nice and the screen looks great. Unfortunately I have become accustomed to some of these basic BB features that I now can't live without. I'm sure I'll come up with a few more questions, but that is all for now. Thanks.

2. tigerdango

tigerdango Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Well...I am a former BB user and converted to Android myself. I wouldn't exactly call myself a "power user," but I think Android is really freaking sweet, much better than my BB was (BlackBerry Curve 3G 9330). I now have a Droid Incredible By HTC. If you try some newer Droid models depending on your carrier you will find that the newer Droid phones are much, much better and improved over the original Droid model. The best ones at the moment I know of that I like are Droid 2, Droid Incredible, and Droid X. They are Verizon exclusive. Although there is also talk of the Incredible HD.

3. deputydog95

deputydog95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm on verizon and won't switch. They are the only provider I've found to have rock solid phone service. ATT was horrific. I also won't use a touch screen phone. Being that the pro has a keyboard, I see it as definitely having potential.

Any ideas on some of the questions I posted above?

4. Droids

Droids Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Answers above.

5. deputydog95

deputydog95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the reply Droids.

Can you have individual icons for each gmail account or are they all lumped together?

I've been searching pretty thoroughly for an app to customize the profiles, but haven't found one yet that I'm certain will do it. There are a couple that will allow you to change the profile of your gmail account for example (assuming all of them), but I haven't found one that will allow you to change the profile of one gmail account in particular but not the others.

6. hemorrdroid

hemorrdroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
  7. deputydog95

deputydog95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't think it will separate out different gmails, but I posted in the thread to ask anyway. Thanks for the link.

Since the Pro has no trackball or dpad, how do you navigate around the screen?

8. tigerdango

tigerdango Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I will check this app out too. Thanks, hemo. I must admit I was quite disappointed. BB was my dream phone for the longest time and I finally got one only to find out that it is an awesome phone in it's own right, but it pales terribly next to Droids.

9. Droids

Droids Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, you can set up icons on your homescreen(s) for gmail labels. So you can have a shortcut to the inbox for each account that way. Once you launch that shortcut it will open the gmail account you specified and go directly to the inbox.

It's not exactly having individual icons for each gmail account, but in effect it is the same thing. Once you're in the inbox you have full access to the entire account, same as if you launched the gmail app and picked an account to look at, which typically opens in the inbox folder (label). You can also easily switch (one click) to other accounts once you have one open. You can name the shortcuts anything you want.

The short answer to your question is yes, long press on a homescreen, choose Shortcuts, then choose Gmail Label, and follow the prompts. :)

10. Droids

Droids Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Regarding profiles, the Pro has a new feature we all want and hope it can be ported to older devices. It actually has built-in profiles, for home, work, night, etc. So you can have different home screens and I expect, other behaviors too.

Support
    DROID PRO - Motorola USA

11. tigerdango

tigerdango Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I just saw the Droid Pro at Best Buy the other day. It looks like an elongated BB, according to my girlfriend. :p

12. deputydog95

deputydog95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Interesting about their profiles. Thanks for the link. I still can't find a definitive answer on if you can set separate ringers (or silence) for particular gmail accounts in a folder. What I'm afraid of is that you can selective a ringer for your gmail in general, but that profile would be applicable to all the gmail accounts collectively.

I'm shocked no one has ripped this off from Rim yet. It seems pretty simple.

13. Droids

Droids Member

Ratings:
    +0
    You can set different notification sounds (or none) for each and every Gmail account. That's easy. Changing or silencing them individually and automatically based on time of day, is another issue. Currently can't do that without a third party app. The Tasker app could probably do it, though it might take some time to setup for that many accounts.

14. tigerdango

tigerdango Member

Ratings:
    +0
    KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid. Nah just kidding. :p

15. deputydog95

deputydog95 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I don't mind taking the time to set it up. You only have to do it once. Well worth it to get a good nights sleep with the alternative being having all the accounts ringing all night. And I don't mind manually switching it over to the appropriate profile. That's what I do now on my BB. Before I go to bed I switch it from normal to either "on call" or "off call" depending on my status. The profile will determine what rings through.

I still haven't confirmed with 100% certainty that there is a 3rd party app that will do exactly what I am looking for.