1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Thinking about a Droid

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions & Site Assistance' started by JerzyGirl, Mar 24, 2010.

1. JerzyGirl

JerzyGirl New Member

Hey everyone...like i have read others saying, I was looking for reviews on the Droid and stumbled into this forum.

I currently have an LG Voyager. I am generally happy with the phone, but its time to upgrade to something different. I love what I have seen about the Droid, but wanna make sure i am 100% sure before I commit to 2 yrs with this phone...

I heard about the upgrade, did it make any real difference, and if I buy one now, does it come with the upgrade already?

I wanna be able to use the phone other than a phone and text messaging mechanism...do you all have favorite apps, and how do you get them?

Sorry for the questions, I just wanna be sure before I commit....lol

Gina
  2. BlazinCaucasian

BlazinCaucasian New Member

3. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Easy answer: You do need to go to a VZ store and allocate an hour or so to go play with one.

As for coming with the upgrade, likely not, at least 2.1, it may or may not have 2.0.1 on it, but that is immaterial, once activated, any updates will be DL'd and you will get a notification for it.

Most of your apps will be obtained from the market, reachable by link on the phone, or you can scan barcodes on site with your droid (need a barcode app) and you get taken to the market by that barcode link) to get.

Non-market apps can be installed, but you have to allow for those int he phones settings, not a big deal, one click and you're there.

You can look at the market now, go to AndroLib, Find all applications and games available in the Android Market for your Android Phone, HTC Dream, HTC Magic etc...
  4. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

:welcome: to the Droid Forums, JerzyGirl. I think RW-1 and BlazinCaucasian answered your questions, I just want to let you know that we have a lot of people who come from the LG Voyager. You'll definitely be taking a big step up.

And as a member of this forum you'll have 50,000 people as resources if you need help.

Here's a little something extra too: http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...tatic-Files/DROID_UG_Verizon_68000202474a.pdf

You'll want to come back to that when you get your Droid.;)
  5. JerzyGirl

JerzyGirl New Member

Thank you much everyone!!!

I dont wanna jump into something blindly, and was so unsure of it. I have many friends who have the iphone, but I dont wanna change providers, I am very happy with Verizon. I have been with them for many years, and their coverage is awesome!

I am going to stop by the Verizon store on Friday, and take a CLOSE look at it, and hopefully come home with one. I am not due for an upgrade, but I go something in the mail that says they upgrade me early! My voyager got a little wet, and the inside screen no llonger works. I do have insurance on it, but they replace it with a refurbished one, and alot of times they are worse than the one you want replaced. I know only cause I have used the insurance a few times already.

Any pointers or tips are welcome. I am new to this technology stuff, and not really the type to sit down and read the manual. I wanna know everything right out of the box!

:heart:
  6. ShowTime

ShowTime New Member

My gf went from an LG Voyager to Droid 2 weeks ago, and I still randomly get texts from her saying how awesome her new phone is and how much she loves it. I think you'll be very pleased. It will take some getting use to, but once you get it down, it's a helluva an upgrade.
  7. mwhartman

mwhartman Super Moderator/RS Premium Member

Welcome! For me, VZW is the only wireless solution. I switched from iPhone to Droid. The Droid is an amazing device and allows you to customize to your hearts content.

Mike
  8. JerzyGirl

JerzyGirl New Member

how does it cmpare to the iphone? How is the slide on the Droid? I hear its terrible..
  9. JerzyGirl

JerzyGirl New Member

thank u so much! I read somewhere that you have to be careful who you text to, cause some of the texts went to someone he was not even responding to!! that can make for a sticky situation!
  10. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Welcome Gina....

I really cannot add anything more substantial to the already great advice you have already received but I can say that the Droid is by far the BEST smartphone I have ever owned.

I was a huge BB fan and owned quite a few of them. There is no comparison.

Beside the tremendous build quality of the Moto Droid the OS (Android) is phenomenal.

It's not only a great "toy" it's the perfect business/regular phone as well.

Go for it. You will not be disappointed.

Hopefully you make this your new home once you purchase the device.

If you decide to move to another device I wish you the best.

Having what suits our needs is the most important thing.

Again welcome aboard
  11. mwhartman

I'm a Mac user so, at first, I thought I would not be as satisfied with the Droid. In less than two weeks, I changed my mind. I believe the Droid is a better device. Many folks feel that the UI of the iPhone makes it a better experience and that it is has smoother scrolling. I've had my Droid for four months and frankly, I do not remember what the iPhone did better. I like being able to run multiple apps and not getting booted when a get an email or txt message.

Having a slide out keyboard was not an issue for me. I use the touch screen.

I am rooted so I really like the ability to change roms and customize. I used the slide out keyboard when I rooted and had no problems entering the commands.

Finally, using AT&T for cell and or 3G was terrible. VZW provides better coverage for cell and 3G.

Hope this helps.
    Mike
  12. JerzyGirl

JerzyGirl New Member

I guess once I get the phone, I will understand more of what rooted is, and changing the roms..LOL right now I am clueless.

Really excited now to go and purchase it...I know what I will be doing all weekend!

Thanks Mike, and everyone else!

xo!
  13. mwhartman

Glad we could help. I'm sure you will enjoy you phone. I suggest that you gets lots of rest now because once you get your Droid your time will be consumed with the Droid and this forum.

Mike
  14. JerzyGirl

JerzyGirl New Member

So i am all excited, and show up at the Verizon store to get my Droid! Even get out of wok a little early, a patient's BP was too high so we couldnt work on her...

Run straight to the store, talk to the sales guy, he shows me the droid...i play with it for like 40 minutes, and cements in my mind, I WANT THIS!! I say OK! lets do it, and he says, OH I am so sorry...we dont have any left due to the buy one get one free!!!! Next shipment will be in monday or so!!! Now I have to wait til Thursday and hope and pray they will have them in stock when I get there...

DANG!!!:mad:
  15. pastorbob

pastorbob New Member

go to best buy and they have it for $99 (current employee who is picking one up there today...)
  16. JerzyGirl

JerzyGirl New Member

then what do i do? call verizon and change out my phone?
  17. pastorbob

pastorbob New Member

all (or at least most) best buys have a best buy mobile location within their store. They are able to do just about everything that a verizon store would be able to help you with. I actually prefer to go to the best buy mobile simply because they carry all the major providers and usually will give you honest information (as long as you go in sounding like you are informed)
  18. mwhartman

Go online and order. VZW will FedEX should arrive Tues.
    Call VZW customer service and order.

Go to Amzon. They are selling the Droid for $19.99

Mike
  19. JerzyGirl

JerzyGirl New Member

thanks Mike...went to Best Buy, and because I am already a verizon customer, with a special offer to upgrade early, they said I had to go to a verizon store..
  20. pastorbob

pastorbob New Member

oh, well monday isnt too far away. I just picked mine up about an hour ago and i am already really happy that I did it.