think i have a virus?!?

dme111

Reaction score
I think I have a virus... reason I think this is, when I go into text someone, my phone will go to the top of the messeges or it will select the send button on its on. Then if I leave the phone alon, if I'm on a window Facebook or this forum the phone will select things doesn't open anything up but it will move the page around. Probably doesn't make much sense. I downloaded the best reviewed free AntiVirus from the standard market phone app. And it said I was clean...

Help please.

Dme

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There are no viruses on Android.... just malware (which will work based on permissions given to apps)

Delete the Anti-virus, it's just using resources, battery, and slowing down your phone.

OP
D

dme111

Reaction score
I thought I might be but I know I'm not touching the trackball.

No viruses huh. Good to know why do they have it then? And what is malware?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I thought I might be but I know I'm not touching the trackball.

No viruses huh. Good to know why do they have it then? And what is malware?

Why they have it?.... like anything else in this world, fear makes money. :)

some definitions...

A computer virus is a computer program that can copy itself[1] and infect a computer. The term "virus" is also commonly but erroneously used to refer to other types of malware, including but not limited to adware and spyware programs that do not have the reproductive ability. A true virus can spread from one computer to another (in some form of executable code) when its host is taken to the target computer; for instance because a user sent it over a network or the Internet, or carried it on a removable medium such as a floppy disk, CD, DVD, or USB drive.[2]

Malware, short for malicious software, is software designed to secretly access a computer system without the owner's informed consent. The expression is a general term used by computer professionals to mean a variety of forms of hostile, intrusive, or annoying software or program code.[1]

OP
D

dme111

Reaction score
Haha good point so is there a good spyware app I can download? I have lookout already. And that other anti virus that ilk uninstall

Orionalias

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue. I thought at first it was accidental touching of the trackball but it's certainly not that...one time the screen fluttered around with items getting green highlighted for 6 seconds while I just watched the phone. It happens most in the stock messaging app. In any case, i would like some perspective on this too. I've downloaded only 6 apps from the market, only had it 20 days, and all are well known and popular downloads. Anyone know more about this?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Couple things.... my wifes DX does this when she doesn't clean the screen off. So try that. Also could be an app conflict try a factory reset to see if that fixes the issue.

Sent from somewhere...

Orionalias

Reaction score
What's the best way to clean the screen?

A factory reset is major. It'll wipe my text messages, apps, etc. So how do i reload all that? I haven't started using app brain, is that the only way to easily reload the apps I want back? And my contacts from previous phone should be synced to google contacts now right? Cuz they were uploaded to their upon the first sync?

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
I just use my tshirt to wipe the screen.

As far as txt. You can use sms backup from the market to save those if you need em. It won't save mms though, such as pics and vids. Your apps will auto restore, same as contacts. They are tied to your google account as well.

Sent from somewhere...

OP
D

dme111

Reaction score
Ok ill give that a shot. How do I do it tho? And how will I make sure my numbers are saved/updated?

Dme

OP
D

dme111

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue. I thought at first it was accidental touching of the trackball but it's certainly not that...one time the screen fluttered around with items getting green highlighted for 6 seconds while I just watched the phone. It happens most in the stock messaging app. In any case, i would like some perspective on this too. I've downloaded only 6 apps from the market, only had it 20 days, and all are well known and popular downloads. Anyone know more about this?

So I went to version and they cleared my phone then about an hr later it started acting up again so I went back and they replaced my phone for free since it was under the 30 day return policy. So of I were you I'd take your phone on ASAP!

GT944

Reaction score
My dinc occasionally does this, but hasn't for a long time. The only thing I can really think of is that the phone is getting a false input from the touch screen. I'm with these guys, check the screen cleanliness and if that doesnt help see if the Verizon boys can look into a warranty claim on the touch screen - probably a phone swap.

Sent from my ADR6300

furbearingmammal

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
swdouglas.blogspot.com
Current Phone Model
32GB Moto X Developers Edition
Twitter
furryvarmint
Power it off. Take off any screen protectors you might have and then LIGHTLY spray the screen with quality glass cleaner. Wipe it clean, let it dry, power it back on. Do a prox-sensor reset by putting your finger over the prox sensor and leave it there from the time you power the phone on till it boots into the OS.

If this doesn't fix it, as long as the phone is less than a year old it has warranty and take it back in for a replacement.

Orionalias

Reaction score
I didn't sign up for the insurance offered by verizon or best buy, where I bought the phone. I should still be able to get a replacement phone if this is indeed a faulty screen if I've had it less than a year? For sure?