things you should know about overclocking

Discussion in 'Android Hacks and Help' started by evilsock, Jan 14, 2010.

1. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    ive seen quite a few posts about this. and quite a few posts about heating phones.
    maybe this is a bug that can be worked out, but i feel that people should be aware what overclocking is doing to your phone.
    1. this phone was made to run 550mhz. i am sure motorola tested 560, 570, ect. they put it out at that bc thats what is stable. you know they wanted to put out the fastest phone they could too.
    2. anyone who has built a computer would know overclocking is fine if you can properly cool the chip. there are no fans in our phones, so realize, the heat you feel on the outside is far more intense on the inside. which leads me to,
    3. heat is the #1 killer of electronics, plain and simple, there are no restore points on a burnt chip. just bc it hasnt happened yet, does not mean it will never happen.

i am not saying dont overclock it, but maxing it out alot may hurt your phone for good.
    im sorry if ive said the same thing in a few threads but to save me from saying it again i posted a thread.
    mind you i have fooled around with it up to 600 and as long as you dont tether or multitask, aside from music. i have not noticed that much more than ive noticed before we could overclock.
    my friend who is very smart with computers is gonna bring over one of the stickers like on fish tanks and im gonna put it on the back of my droid. you can also tell the temp with some apps but the apps will dilute my little test im doing.

2. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    There have been many many phones, including past Android phones, that were overclocked without any issues. Also, since the Droid's processor is actually made to run up to 600 mhz, it is not exactly overclocking per se.

3. Big Lou

Big Lou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    The Droid is factory underclocked. Bringing it up to 600 is not actually overclocking.

4. Canefan

Canefan Member

Ratings:
    +0
    But the question of why did Motorola underclock has not really been answered. The OP makes a good point that Motorola would want to release the fastest phone that they could. They underclocked it for a reason. Maybe just for battery life.

One other thing is that I played around with underclocking the phone when it sleeps to see if that would have an effect on battery life. One thing I noticed is when an incoming call would wake the phone, it couldn't do the lookup for the contact image of who was calling. I would routinely get the little green droid guy with the incoming number and not the contact photo.

5. Big Lou

Big Lou Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Actually, a Motorolla representative has stated that the reason they did it was for battery life.

CPU Power requirements are not linear, so the closer you get to full clock speed, the more and more power you need. The gain in battery life is far greater than the loss in clock speed.

Fortunately, there are utilities that adjust the clock speed if you do bump your Droid up to 600mhz to help save battery.

6. Topsy

Topsy Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Seriously, let people make their own decisions.

Posting it once or twice is cool, but you are bordering on fanatical about the issue ....:work1:

7. evilsock

evilsock Member

Ratings:
    +0
    its not a complaint, i have seen what happens and i am letting them make their own decisions, just as what this forum is for, informing what can and may happen, may not ever happen but im sure no one wants to be the first guy to post a "melted my phone" post.
    and im sorry to say but ive held my droid up to my friends running 600 and the only way to tell is to hold them side by side, its fast no matter what its at, a half second load time is nothing im interested in when his phone is running 10 degrees hotter than mine

8. JhankG

JhankG Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm running at 600 mhz, no change in battery life, no noticeable change in temperature.

9. miamidroid

miamidroid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Do you not understand that the chip runs at 600 but is UNDERCLOCKED FOR BATTERY LIFE....
    When have you herd of anyone killing a processor for overclocking 50hz over, never the less running at its native speed?

10. alienware777

alienware777 Member

Ratings:
    +1
    For me, it kills the battery. Normally I last a whole day, but with 600 MHz i only lasted 8 hours. But then, I use my phone alot, so underclocking while sleeping doesn't help that much.

11. Aaron636r

Aaron636r Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I see nothing wrong with other forum members trying to look out for others. Appreciate your input.

12. Newton122189

Newton122189 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I would have to agree, my battery life varies so much based on what I am doing that I cannot tell at all but I have noticed the boost in performance, no stutters, no lag, just enough to make the phone way better

13. misteruplink

misteruplink Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Overclocking

Does the droid have to be rooted to overclock to 600mhz?

Thanks J

14. Newton122189

Newton122189 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    yes you have to be rooted

15. Kdubbjr

Kdubbjr Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Im also running at 600mhz and I can honestly say using SetCPU has increased my battery life. It last longer then it did before I even raised it to 600.

Search tags for this page
overclocking your phone kills the battery
should i overclock droid
things to know about overclocking your pl
things to know when overclocking

what is overclock on android