Things you do to SAVE Battery Life?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by butch350, Mar 2, 2010.

1. butch350

butch350 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    (This also may help others out there new to the Droid)

When I listen to mp3s or watch a Movie...I shut down my Gmail sync and stop GPS.
    In this mode it hardly drains my battery. I only check my email twice a day anyway so I'm not much of an email person - however this procedure might not work for some but, It does save the battery.

2. natediddy1120

natediddy1120 Silver Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I used to have HORRIBLE battery life. Did good to get 7-8 hours out of one charge.

BUT

Ironically, since I overclocked my Droid, my battery life has improved drastically :) Just because SetCPU allows me to *under*clock my phone when I don't need it blazing through web pages!! And underclocked when the screen is off has improved the battery life significantly

3. Riley

Riley Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I keep my screen on the lowest brightness setting unless I need it brighter, I keep my wifi off unless I am actively using it. I run a task list every once in a while to see what's running. Most of the time it's normal stuff. But then this AM I saw that ShopSavy barcode scanner app and some other app were running in the background and using a lot of the %, I have no idea why, but I killed them. My GPS and Sync are on anytime my phone is on because I like them to be doing their thing. At any given time I have about 16 tasks running and with normally daily use I have to charge my phone every 24 hours and thats' with about 35% battery left.

4. mjs31

mjs31 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Brightness widget. I keep it at 25% but have option to jump to 50,75 or 100 if needed.
    Screebl allows me to keep auto dim at 15 seconds
    Overclocking...I agree with other poster. I get better battery life. I only run at 800mhz, but I also have it set to drop way down when in standby.
    Make sure I hit the top button to turn off screen when done using.

On a side note, I leave bluetooth on all the time since I use my headset quite often. Use a bit of wifi and browse quite a bit. This is all with texting and regular calls. With this setup, my battery left widget has me at 12 hours 30 minutes. If I keep bluetooth off I am looking at 15 hours. A quick charge of just a few minutes will greatly jump you back up.

5. dylanthecat

dylanthecat Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use WIFI all the time at home and office, and also press the power button everytime I set the phone down to turn the screen off. I don't just let the screen time out.

6. Detonation

Detonation Member

Ratings:
    +6
    GPS, Wifi, and Bluetooth are always off unless I need them. Whenever I'm done with my phone I turn off the screen/lock it rather than let it time out itself. I keep the brightness pretty low as well.

I usually get at least 48 hours of charge with daily calling/texting and moderate browsing/app use.

7. ipawd1

ipawd1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
    -Limit myself to only four widgets.
    -Use the News & Weather shortcut instead of the widget (always fetching)
    Brightness down.
    -Extended Battery
    -Use Advanced Task Manager to kill off every 3 hours.
    -Keep screens clean. Widgets/apps. I've been training myself to use the menu button. I have a folder and a shortcut on my screen.
    -Ditched Beautiful Widgets & Live wallpapers. No need for the retail space taken up from either

8. searayman

searayman Member

Ratings:
    +0
  9. pbdroid

pbdroid Member

Ratings:
    +1
    What's a battery? :icon_ banana:

I keep a charger at my work desk, in the car, and at home ... if I can, I keep it on the juice as much as possible.

I'm planning on picking up a spare or two though, for when I do need extra life. Are there battery chargers separate from the phone to charge spares up?

10. ipawd1

ipawd1 Member

Ratings:
    +0
  11. justicw

justicw Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I use an app called Timeriffic and it has saved my battery life a BUNCH. It alows me to set a time for things like wireless and GPS so that these things don't turn on when I know I won't be using them (like at work no wireless anyway). I also underclock my phone when its idle or below 50% battery this also helps a bunch.

12. SSHGuru

SSHGuru Silver Member

Ratings:
    +30
    Download and use Screebl. It turns off your screen after 15 seconds when you put it down. It keeps the screen on when you're using it.