"Things that I can't do in ICS that I could before" -- OR is there an answer?

TheCleaner

Reaction score
Feel free to add questions/answers...and I'll update the original post and give you credit. If you have a question that corresponds to the title, ask it here and maybe someone will know. If there's already a similar thread, let me know.

This was something that was bothering me and I figured it out...basic/simple I know, but still.

PICTURE FRAME

Q. Can't seem to add a picture frame widget to a home screen. Used to be able to select widgets and picture frame widget.
A. You can still do this...just differently. Go to the widgets screen, scroll over to photo gallery, and then drag it to a home screen. It will then ask you whether you want to shuffle the images, etc. Choose single image.

hinataoccu

Reaction score
Changing input method

Q. Can't long press a text box to change input method
A. After installing and activating a different input method, when you click on a text box an icon appears in the notification bar. Pulling down the bar and clicking on that will allow you to change input type. I personally really dislike this as i do not like having the icon up there. OS is really good at having it appear whenever the keyboard is pulled on screen, but on very rare occasions i've had it not appear, or appear when not necessary.

hinataoccu

Reaction score
Disable pressing 'enter' to send sms message

Q. When using an alternate keyboard with an 'enter' key (in my case Thumb keyboard but thats not important to this), where is the option to disable pressing 'enter' to send message? I could do this in the messenger app options on my D1 running gingerbread, but cannot on the GN. There is no option in the native messaging app to disable sending messages on 'enter' key press.

A. ... =(

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
Disable pressing 'enter' to send sms message

Q. When using an alternate keyboard with an 'enter' key (in my case Thumb keyboard but thats not important to this), where is the option to disable pressing 'enter' to send message? I could do this in the messenger app options on my D1 running gingerbread, but cannot on the GN. There is no option in the native messaging app to disable sending messages on 'enter' key press.

A. ... =(

Using the stock keyboard and messenger app you don't have an enter key. On a alternative keyboard if there is a shift key try holding that and pressing enter.

hinataoccu

Reaction score
Using the stock keyboard and messenger app you don't have an enter key. On a alternative keyboard if there is a shift key try holding that and pressing enter.

The problem is more of accidental presses than actually needing to space down a line. IMO stock ics keyboard is better than stock gingerbread, but still not up to par with 3rd party apps.

BL4Z3D247

Reaction score
The problem is more of accidental presses than actually needing to space down a line. IMO stock ics keyboard is better than stock gingerbread, but still not up to par with 3rd party apps.

Ah, gotcha. Maybe when we start getting custom ROMs someone will put an option for that.

xliderider

Reaction score
I don't like the way ICS handles widget creation/placement on the homescreen(s). Very tedius to go through the App/Widget drawer. I'd rather just long press on the homescreen and select my widget, thank you. Similarly, I miss longpressing on the homescreen to add direct dials and text icons, etc.

StupidGenius

Reaction score

xliderider

Reaction score

prowler85

Reaction score
Thanks, I may have to give that a try, but I'm so used to Launcher Pro that I've gone to that for now. LP still lets me do things the old fashioned way. ;)

Another thing that irritates me to no end is that ICS creates an app icon on your homescreen every time you install an app. Is there a way to disable this?

I couldn't get Launcher Pro to work on ICS - kept force closing upon open. Installed Go Launcher EX. Very nice - does long press on home screen, has the same 3 docks that LP did, allows up to 9 homescreens (I couldn't stand just having 5), and has some very nice downloadable widgets and themes. Very similar to LP in a lot of ways and better in some other ways as well.

And I too can't stand how it puts the app on a homescreen every time you install one. If this can be disabled, please let us know.

slider112

Reaction score
Another thing that irritates me to no end is that ICS creates an app icon on your homescreen every time you install an app. Is there a way to disable this?

Yes, it's a setting in Market, "Auto-add shortcuts"... just click it off there and that should work.

VivianC

Reaction score
I can't seem to figure out how to hide contacts that don't have phone numbers. I posted this in another thread but thought I'd add it here just in case.

prowler85

Reaction score
Question: Once you exceed 2 GB of data download, you get a notification icon that doesn't go away. With unlimited data, I don't care. Is there any way to make it go away.
Answer: Go to Settings > Data Usage and drag the orange "warning" line to a higher limit.

And YES, I've already exceeded 2 GB. In fact, I'm slightly over 6 GB. Take that, Verizon! :icon_ devil:

Last edited:

unbesorgt

Reaction score

In the Market, go to Settings and uncheck the box for "Auto add shortcuts for downloaded apps" (or similar wording).