Thin may be IN, but......

Lenagainster

Reaction score
I'll take the Rezound's thickness any day.
Look at the Razr. The claim is that it is the thinnest 4G LTE smartphone at 0.28 inches. But what about the bulge at the top? My OG Droid is thinner than that, if you only measure the lip at the bottom. Lay the Razr on its back on a table. It's only supported in two places, along the bulge on the back and along the bottom edge. Then sit on it. Can it withstand the pressure? There are early reports of the Razr cracking. This may be one of the reasons. Kevlar backing and Gorilla glass aside, I don't think the Razr can withstand that much flexing.
Look at the Nexus. Curved face, at 0.37 inches along the thinnest part, not counting the bulge at the bottom. Lay the Nexus face down on a table. It is curved, so it is only supported along the top edge and bottom edge. Sit on it. Can it withstand the pressure? Who wants to try it? Or put the Nexus on its back. The bulge on the bottom still keeps the phone from lying flat, so it is supported along the bulge and near the top. Can it withstand flexing in that position?
Look at the Rezound. Put it face down on the table and it is supported all the way around. Put it on its back and it is supported by about 75% of the back. Who cares that it is 0.54 inches. I put a silicone case on mine, and it is now about 0.68 inches. If it was over an inch thick, it might feel like a brick, but the difference in the feel of 0.28 inches vs. 0.68 inches in the hand is insignificant. (Does holding a 3 x 5 index card vs. a 3 x 5 notepad make that much difference in your hand?) Structurally, the thickness makes a big difference.
I would hope that those who are contemplating the Rezound vs. the Razr vs. the Nexus would give some serious thought about the structural integrity of the phones.

droidtom

Reaction score
First time I've seen someone consider whether they can sit on a phone part of the decsion. I'm thinking it's not good to sit on any of them

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
That's the reason I didn't even consider the Razr, I haven't got my Nexus yet to compare myself but the Rezound will be my day to day phone and the Nexus just for fun. I don't have a case yet for the Rezound, but I've been thinking about it.

cp24eva

Reaction score
ya know, sometimes I like to put things in my back pocket. Can't do that with the razr. thats to dangerous....to the phone that is. The Nexus, maybe you can get away with it. this is only a factor for people who put phones in their back pockets. But there are always accidents and the rezound feels like it would be less prone to breaking.

SANhacker

Reaction score
ya know, sometimes I like to put things in my back pocket. Can't do that with the razr. thats to dangerous....to the phone that is. The Nexus, maybe you can get away with it. this is only a factor for people who put phones in their back pockets. But there are always accidents and the rezound feels like it would be less prone to breaking.

LOL. :biggrin:
I put my RAZR in the back pocket of my jeans with no problems at all. Must be that steel core.
Also, the hump gives me something to grab on to.

cp24eva

Reaction score
LOL. :biggrin:
I put my RAZR in the back pocket of my jeans with no problems at all. Must be that steel core.
Also, the hump gives me something to grab on to.

Well you might only weigh like 120 or something :D I'm kidding. Thats good that you can do that though.

MrSmith317

Premium Member
Reaction score
First time I've seen someone consider whether they can sit on a phone part of the decsion. I'm thinking it's not good to sit on any of them

Me too, but my daughter and a lot of women tend to stick their phones in their back pocket(Can't figure that one out) and then sit on them. Like all day...I personally consider that phone abuse but I wear carpenters and cargos so I have a pocket just for my phone.

t35rk

Reaction score
Thin phone but a fat bezel. The thinness of the Razr is a marketing scam imo. Same size screen as the Bionic for example, but a much larger footprint.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

cp24eva

Reaction score
Thin phone but a fat bezel. The thinness of the Razr is a marketing scam imo. Same size screen as the Bionic for example, but a much larger footprint.

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums

+1 to that. I actually prefer the bionic over the razr (minus the bugs though)

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Let me say this.....I am a Razr owner and yes....it gets a decent amount of attention...and thin apparently is in....but I find the curve of the GN sexy.

scottd

Reaction score
If the Bionic worked properly, it would still be my phone. With the extended battery, it is a sturdy phone and I like the thickness. I had a choice to switch to the Rezound or the RAZR and I chose the Rezound. The Thickness of the Rezound with the extended battery is the thickest of all of them but I still like the way it feels in my hand better. The Razr is thin but wide. To me, the RAZR is a designer phone that I can't change batteries if I forget to plug it in. I can always have a spare battery ready for my Rezound. The 720p screen isn't too bad either. I prefer thickness over width.

cp24eva

Reaction score
+1 scottd. I loved the bionic other than the bugs. The screen wasn't as great as I would hoped, but it was still a good screen. Just not as good as the rezound.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

mikeg

Reaction score
Not only don't I mind the thickness, I increased it with an extended battery!

mikeg

Byrnie

Reaction score
Not only don't I mind the thickness, I increased it with an extended battery!

mikeg

I did the same and am loving it. It seems to sit better in my hand because of the extended battery case's shape.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Before i bought mine i confirmed they had an extended battery in stock. I held the phone with it on there before agreeing to buy it.
It fits my hand perfectly the way it is designed on the back, just like my Incredible 1

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Xparent Blue Tapatalk