There Is Something Seriously Wrong With Me

windstrings

Reaction score
Google earth? Where do I get?

Isn't that pretty much what you have with maps?

You can zoom in and look with satellite resolution already, whats google earth have that google maps doesn't have?
The ability to fly over the land like a bird?.. what good is that?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
I was merely pointing out that I have no interest because I'm perfectly happy running stock.

Mine basically runs perfect too... however it would be fun to run "faster" perfect!
Do you feel the overclock is not worth the trouble?
I feel my device runs excellent already so why bother.

If it ran slow and I was waiting around for apps to open etc etc I would overclock if it made a difference.

But as it stands now .1013 of a second faster is meaningless to me at this point. : )

I certainly respect and understand others that like to tinker and fine tune but for me unless there is a BIG difference I have no interest.

Last edited:
OP
hookbill

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was merely pointing out that I have no interest because I'm perfectly happy running stock.

Mine basically runs perfect too... however it would be fun to run "faster" perfect!

If it ran slow and I was waiting around for apps to open etc etc I would overclock if it made a difference.

But as it stands now .1013 of a second faster is meaningless to me at this point. : )

I certainly respect and understand others that like to tinker and fine tune but for me unless there is a BIG difference I have no interest.

Good point. But for me it's the scrolling that is jus so much faster when rooted as opposed to not rooted. Opening and closing apps,meh. No biggie there.

I rooted again and installed Google Earth. It's so cool. Of course right after I did it somebody cut loose a 2.0.1 apk. It's ok though, it's all good. Running Droidmod 1.0 I am seeing some FC, did a battery pull.

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
:icon_ devil:
Hook, DroidMod 1.0 is perfect. It's like having a stock Droid, only better.
I'm like you, made my Droid dizzy turning it around over and over again. The best part is, you can keep it right where it is, and when 2.1 goes OTA, if you want it, open drawer, scroll to DMU, click Stock 2.0.1 (no root), and you're back in business.
See, Hook, with DMU you have the best of both worlds.

DO IT!

+1 (ten char) :icon_ devil:

global_dev

Reaction score
"Once I got back to stock I noticed that outside of a home screen that could go landscape and faster scrolling, there really wasn't much difference between the two."

I wasn't going to root either, but with mods, i really like
-5 home screens vs 3. I don't like the folders for easy access (too hard to close one-handed) i really liked the dots and cards of the launcher 2.
-MT browser (i don't love pinch-zoom, and mostly use double tap, but the p-z comes in handy once in a while). wish the browser had the vertical scroll lock since i seem to swipe diagonally often.
-camera/video hq hack (why not especially with all of the HDTVs at home we have now)
-bright control (for late night reading without illuminating the room and eye strain.)
- i like the landscape home screen

i didn't think it was necessary to mod my wife's Droid. I couldn't even convince myself (let alone her) that any mod was necessary (nor what great improvements 2.1 would bring), but it does make some things a bit better.

BzB

Reaction score
my phone is rooted and using a custom rom with no problems, but...

i'm probably not taking advantage of most rooted features. yes i have live walls but i don't use them. yes the phone is overclocked to 1ghz and stable as stock but i probably don't notice it for most the stuff i do (except for resolving the occasional stutter with robo defense). i like having 5 screens, but i use home++ anyway. the milestone browser is nice, but i prefer xscope...

that said, i like the freedom of root access. i like knowing that the phone doesn't occasionally stutter or pause on the rare occasions it did at stock processor speed. i like having better battery life with setcpu profiles. i like wifi tethering.

i don't like constantly seeing new roms coming out and wondering if it's better than what i'm running right now. i don't like being caught in a boot loop from experimenting with roms/kernels. i don't like the possibility that overclocking the phone could potentially shorten the life expectancy to less than a year (maybe not the processor, but who knows about the other stuff under the hood).

so...i'm done modding this thing. until the official 2.1 rooted roms come out. i think... lol

kevin1016

Reaction score
Do it Hook. All the cool people do it. It won't hurt.....come on.......don't you want to be cool? :icon_ devil:

Reaction score

Exactly how I feel, exactly.

arty2hottie

Reaction score
What is rooting?........J/K

Hook I'm right there with you. Hopefully that 2.1 update comes soon so we can feel special and cool about updating our phones. After a few days or hours of that wearing off and being bored of the official 2.1 update we can root our droids to what will probably be even better roms by then. Then there will probably be talk of 2.2 and we will be stuck in the never ending cycle of wanting to go back and forth between rooting and un rooting our phone. What would we do without our Droids?:D

jbernard703

Reaction score
Just get Pete's newest ROM. You want to tinker and you need your fix. Plus when 2.1 drops you can tinker by unrooting and updating, then tinker with 2.1.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just get Pete's newest ROM. You want to tinker and you need your fix. Plus when 2.1 drops you can tinker by unrooting and updating, then tinker with 2.1.

Or when 2.1 drops you can just wait until a dev ports a stable ROM based on it!!! Honestly after rooting my phone and playing around with ROMs I can honestly say there's very little chance I'm going back to root! Rooting and flashing ROMs have made my experience so much more fun!!