1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

There Is Something Seriously Wrong With Me

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by hookbill, Feb 22, 2010.

1. hookbill

hookbill Premium Member Premium Member

I can't seem to make up my mind what I want to do. I have rooted, gone back to stock, rooted again, and gone back to stock.

All of this within a couple of weeks. Now the reason I went back to stock was I got worried about the Sholes thing. Once I got back to stock I noticed that outside of a home screen that could go landscape and faster scrolling, there really wasn't much difference between the two. So I'm waiting on 2.1.

So how come 5 minutes ago I just installed DMupdater on my phone? I mean I have been down this road enough already, haven't I?

Droid isn't just a phone, it's an obsession. And I'm so worried I'm going to miss out on something but I don't want to miss out on 2.1.

And today everybody rooted got Google Earth 2.1 I don't have it. I don't need it. But I feel left out.

I really need to get a real life. This is sad.:icon_ nono2:
  2. aaf709

aaf709 Nice Guy Premium Member

You're not alone. I haven't rooted yet, but I'm tempted.
  3. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

? I don't see who you think being stock (unrooted) will keep you from 'missing out on 2.1.' There's plenty of good/stable 2.1 ROMs now that are already better than whatever crap Moto/VZW will push OTA. Not to mention that within a week (or less) of the OTA the devs will have even better ROMs.

Pete has a new 2.1 ROM that he built of the 'leak' he got his hands on.

Personally you are likely to 'miss out' on a LOT more if you risk receiving the OTA. People need to remember that the Eris is still NOT rooted. And the Nexus can NOT be returned to stock after rooting... so, IMHO you better off staying as is until these questions are def answered one way or another.

Not to mention there is still no apparent time table for the release of 2.1 you're giving up way to much until then. Pete's new BB v1 is AWESOME!!!! (and for those idiots that fill the need to quote the BS press release... 'soon' is NOT an ETA).
  4. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

5. KZIWarrior

KZIWarrior Active Member

6. cereal killer

cereal killer Administrator Staff Member

Hook I'm right here alongside of you. I'm stock and waiting for tbe official to drop and when they gain root access. then I will see what drops as far as roms go but in all honesty I probably will not root.

2.0.1 runs perfect and I have no use for more screens. I'm perfectly happy sitting where I am right now.
  7. hookbill

8. hookbill

See, I totally agree. Yet for some reason, just in case I had to download that damn dmupdater. It's like I just can't let things be.

You're right, it's working fine as is. I'm staying with 2.0.1.

Now if I can just delete this updater.:)
  9. Backnblack

Backnblack Premium Member Premium Member

Do it Hook.....Still on 2.0.1 here but DroidMod 1.0 is sweet.....

You know you wanna.....
  10. freakboy2539

freakboy2539 New Member

Its time for a dmupdater intervention. I said id never root but i did this phones like my PC's i just cant be happy with the way it came stock i gotta mess with stuff.
  11. christim

christim Super Moderator

+1 for being stuck on the official update for 6 months while folks try and figure out how to root it. Maybe THAT's the cause for the delay. Adamz 4.5 is running stable for the past 24 hours at 900mhz for me. I have everything I had before, except now I've got blue everywhere. No reason for me to go back. Do it Hook...you know you wanna:)
  12. BayouFlyFisher

BayouFlyFisher Rescue Squad

Bingo!! Well said.

Do not wait for the OTA. You are going to be disappointed and it may be a long time until you can get back to the good stuff that is available right now from the Devs. Let me say that again: You are waiting for something that is not going to be as good as the best roms (2.0.1 or 2.1) that are available right now.
  13. RW-1

RW-1 New Member

Hook,

You make a good point. Something is terribly wrong with you :icon_ devil:

Basically, you like to tinker. Nothing wrong with that. Switch back and forth all you want ... DO what suits YOU at any given moment.

That's what it's all about.

I haven't yet rooted, nor played with mine like you have only because I haven't yet felt comfortable doing so (or let's face it, I haven't scratched it good enough to where I lost my love for it hehehe :) )

I do kinda stand with CK, I'm looking at options, reading, researching and when 2.1 drops, and I figure a few weeks after that it will be rooted, then I'll look at modding it.

I also do not agree with those who say the current 2.1 roms are the best. Now, I'll allow for someone to re-educate me, however my opinion is that those 2.1 roms were based on code not lifted from a 2.1 droid. just another device running 2.1

so while nice, it is not the optimized legit 2.1 made for our droid, once the devs get htere hands on that, it can only get better than it already is.
  14. darreno1

darreno1 New Member

I have a little bit of this disease, but because my phone is so important to my job, I won't mess around as much as I would like to. Just one day without my phone would be torture so for now, I'm stuck with packaged addons and official updates.
  15. lockman

lockman New Member

Hook, DroidMod 1.0 is perfect. It's like having a stock Droid, only better.
    I'm like you, made my Droid dizzy turning it around over and over again. The best part is, you can keep it right where it is, and when 2.1 goes OTA, if you want it, open drawer, scroll to DMU, click Stock 2.0.1 (no root), and you're back in business.
    See, Hook, with DMU you have the best of both worlds.

DO IT!
  16. christim

christim Super Moderator

I want to restate my position. I made the statement that I didn't want to get stuck on the official OTA 2.1 version, have it prove to be unrootable for a long period of time, and have advances made by our rom devs that would be unreachable due to the above situation.

If you took the update, or if you thought you bricked your phone, or forgot to do a sprecovery or a "sholes" updater suddenly vanished.... there are steps you can take to get your phone back to stock.

AllDroid - View topic - Unroot/Unbrick your phone using .sbf

So..don't root just because you think you might be stuck and unable to later.
  17. hookbill

I'm going to wait until tomorrow. Not that I seriously believe the update will come tomorrow, I want to talk to CorinaCakes andsee what she says. Does dmupdater come with 2.0.5? I liked it but it kind of ran my battery down a bit.
  18. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

Droid mod v 1.0 with smoked glass in blue.... and live wall papers... gotta love a perfect phone.

I only use the live wall papers to show off as it drains the battery too much at this point... but they are sweet.

The only thing my phone could do better is a better app for exchange and a little better bluetooth function... my truck still has a problem with dropping the bluetooth and rebooting the phone when connected to my pioneer unit. Other then that the phone is perfect...
  19. R1Lover

R1Lover New Member

No but I'm sure it's still on your card so you can still use it... if not I can upload it for you.
  20. Martin030908

Martin030908 Super Moderator

DroidMod has 1.0 Hook.... no need for 2.0.5. :icon_ banana:

It's a small amount of time to root and flash a ROM (and you can always go back to stock :icon_ devil:)