Theoretical Question

opengeo

Reaction score
In shamus's defense, his Droid is not stock, and probably overclocked.
In that case, I can't speak for the speed difference. Other posters have indicated that the Inc is also much faster than their OC'd Droid's.

OP
adrynalyne

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
I've seen both arguments, thats why I was looking at other aspects :D

doug piston

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback folks, exactly what I was looking for.

It's Called Qualcomm's Snapdragon, 1gig.. and the 748MB out of the 1Gig chip of RAM installed

Processor speed isn't important to me when a 1ghz snapdragon performs the same as my 1ghz cortex-a8.

Also,, it only has 512mb of ram, and wont have access to all of that until HTC ships a new kernel, or its rooted and we can install our own.
bingo bango lets get to workin on it then

HolyGrail

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Adrynalyne I wouldn't have upgraded if it wasn't for the Sense Ui. The only thing I hated about the Moto was the slight choppiness of the screen flipping and the sometimes choppiness of the browser. Small for some, but was a really big thing for me. Both of these issues are butter smooth on the incredible, but is most likely because of the Sinse UI. Its something I was missing, and now have.

Bottom line, No, I wouldn't have upgraded if not for Sense UI.

Last edited:

Mikejl

Reaction score
One of my team members scored the Incredible a couple of days ago. I helped him out by exported my coworker group of contacts and pictures for him and helped him get his gmail setup so he could get them imported. So today he let me play around with it for awhile so I could check it out better.

It's looks very nice and has a good weight. I find the touch screen to be more responsive and a bit smoother than the droid. It is fast, but no faster than my droid OC'd to 1GHz.

I don't have anything bad to say about it, but it didn't make me want to give up my droid. It has an app and widget or two I would like to have, but I might find an equivalent out in the market. One thing I didn't care for is the hard button placement although that is something one could get used to over time.

As far as Sense UI goes, the only example I saw was when I pinched the home screen down and and it brought up the 7 small screens. I would love it if someone would recommend some other Sense UI stuff I could check out.

One other item of interest to note is that while sitting at my desk I get excellent 3G connection with the droid. The Incredible in the same location wouldn't get better than 1.

Our building is also equipped with a (repeater, signal booster ?? whatever they add to insure a good signal inside a building) for both AT&T and Verizon. So he definitely should have been getting 3G.

Mike

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
One of my team members scored the Incredible a couple of days ago. I helped him out by exported my coworker group of contacts and pictures for him and helped him get his gmail setup so he could get them imported. So today he let me play around with it for awhile so I could check it out better.

It's looks very nice and has a good weight. I find the touch screen to be more responsive and a bit smoother than the droid. It is fast, but no faster than my droid OC'd to 1GHz.

I don't have anything bad to say about it, but it didn't make me want to give up my droid. It has an app and widget or two I would like to have, but I might find an equivalent out in the market. One thing I didn't care for is the hard button placement although that is something one could get used to over time.

As far as Sense UI goes, the only example I saw was when I pinched the home screen down and and it brought up the 7 small screens. I would love it if someone would recommend some other Sense UI stuff I could check out.

One other item of interest to note is that while sitting at my desk I get excellent 3G connection with the droid. The Incredible in the same location wouldn't get better than 1.

Our building is also equipped with a (repeater, signal booster ?? whatever they add to insure a good signal inside a building) for both AT&T and Verizon. So he definitely should have been getting 3G.

Mike

This is what I been trying to tell folks lately. Different brands of phone, in the same environment, might have different signal/reception issues. Its not a knock against the Incredible if u dont care about it.

I dealt with having bad reception/signal strength for a couple of years and I dont plan on compromising again. If I get a phone and it cant work where I need it to, it goes back. My phone has to be a decent functioning phone first and formost.

hobby31

Reaction score
I've got a rooted moto droid and just got the incredible on the 29th. I too am a tech junkie. My plan was to sell the Droid but I love both phones. The Sence UI is nice and all but I don't use Facebook and twitter and stuff like that. It does have very nice calendar widgets and contact widgets and the Sence UI is smoking fast. I installed Helix launcher 2 and it works perferctly on the incredible. My droid is overclocked to 1ghz and Helix seems faster on the incredible. I will say that the incredible seems faster and snappier than my overclocked moto droid.

As far as signal guality, I too have noticed I'm only getting 1 maybe 2 bars here at home when my droid always showed full bars. I went into settings-about phone-network and checked signal strength of both side by side and the droid read anywhere between -90 to -95 dBm showing full bars and the incredible read anywhere between -90 and -100 dBm but was showing 1 bar. It seems to be a glitch in how sence displays the bars as they are both getting comparable signals. I haven't had any dropped calls and I tested it streaming a radio station last night for 15 minutes and it didn't drop once. Over on the incredible forum there is a tread about this problem and it seems to be common. I hear rumors that an update is coming to address this but who knows.

Display, side by side the moto droid is slightly taller. They look equal in width. The moto looks a little more crisp. Colors are more vivid on the incredible but some look washed out, especially yellow or orange. Words are a little pixelated on the increadible when zooming in with the browser and crisp on the moto droid.

I've noticed if running the Helix launcher, the sence UI widgets aren't available. The only ones that show up are the stock and ones i've installed. So if you like the HTC weather and time widget but choose to run Helix or another home app you'll have to install beautiful widgets cause the HTC one wont be available. I don't know if this is true of other home replacements but it seems the widgets are locked to the Sence UI.

Battery life hasn't been that great. But I've been playing with it a lot so don't know how it will far with a "normal" day for my use as the droid did. My droid would last all day. I only text 3-5 times a day and make and take a few calls. I probably get and check 10 emails a day and go to market a couple times a day looking at update and new apps for about 5-10 minutes at a time. After work I work out and stream or play music for 1 -2 hours. I would have 60-70% of battery left on the droid prior to working out and about 40-50% after workout.

I've decided today to not use Sence UI and just use Helix and see if battery life is better. I went into a task manager and killed anything that looks like sence but its the weekend and I wont really know how they compare until I go back to work on a regular day.

I've got over 100 apps on the droid and so far they all work on the incredible except google earth. It doesn't even show up in the market. I searched and found a like to an apk over on the incredible forum and it works great.

So far, that's my first impressions....I'm hanging onto my droid for now and may revert back it the signal issue turns out to be more than just graphics.

Oh, the camera is definately better with more options and seems to take better pictures than the moto droid.

The video player on the icredible is better and actually has a button to toggle to full screen if the video is a little chopped off. This was one feature I missed from my iphone.

Well, thats my take so far....

HarshReality

Reaction score
Same here.. went in came out with the same droid I had. Sense UI is eyecandy plain and simple. The only thing it has going for it otherwise is flash lite. And my Droid was running at 1G and had a slightly faster response IMO.

I did add a bit of humor and used the lightsaber app and called the Incredible a Sith and made some slash noises at the thing..

And all their hype pales in comparison to the one commonality in the universe that all cell guys are concerned with.. battery life. Which according to the Vz guy is @ 1/2 what that is of the droid (standby etc).

Last edited:

xBBuser

Reaction score
For me the switch was easy. On the MotoDroid I opened the keyboard maybe two or three times. Once to see it, second to try and get to like it, and a third was to wipe the dust off of it for the new buyer! Swype, nuff said. The Inc is much lighter but not too light to feel 'cheap'. Fits the pocket better, faster with no lag, and in my opinion a much better screen. Much easier on the eyes viewing it. The extra screen pages are a big plus as well. Also, I have to admit, the last update for the MotoDroid was lacking in substance and made the buy much easier. That and the fact it sold on Ebay for $300 in less than 22 minutes...:icon_ banana:

The Droid I had wasn't rooted and this one will most likely not be as well. That is until my son roots his and shows me how much better it could be....:shocked:

Last edited:

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
Now if there is gonna be an update to address any signal/reception issues, than it might be a moot point. But like with the Droid, the radio got updated and it made things better for some ppl, worse for othersl...lol

roberj13

Reaction score
I have a Motorola Droid and just bought the Incredible as well. I currently have the Moto Droid on CyanogenMod 5.0.6.2 and OC'd to 1GHz and I feel like the Incredible is smoother. The touchscreen feels a little more responsive on the Incredible so far, and web browsing seems a little bit quicker on the sites I visit anyhow.

I have started to like Sense more than I originally thought I would actually. Battery life has been OK, I am getting more uptime on the Droid but may be due to profile settings as well.

The main reason I purchased the Incredible is that I always felt like the Droid was ridiculously heavy for a phone. I would pick up an iPhone and almost throw it across the room picking it up because it felt so much lighter. I never used the keyboard much anyways and am happy with the way the Incredible feels so far.

The main things I don't like so far about the phone:

Not rooted yet - I wouldn't get rid of Sense at this point but a little theme "massaging" is always nice, plus I would like to get rid of some random apps I will never use. I would also like to be able to use Autokiller and Drocap again..

Display - The colors don't bother me, and I think it looks really nice for the most part. The text does look a bit funny and you can almost see a grid all over the screen, not sure what this is from. The Droid def has the better screen, but also has probably the best screen I've ever seen so holding anything to it will make it look like crap to some extent.

Kinda wish you could wake the phone with pushing the trackpad then either swipe of push menu. I still haven't been able to get used to the on/off button being on the left and usually results in me hitting the volume buttons too. This could probably be hacked up when the phone is rooted however.

The fact that Droid owners have to say how much like crap the phone is. I have both, and will be using both. I find pros and cons to each phone, but fact remains these are two REALLY REALLY good phones. We should be happy we have these two phones running Android, it only helps us. Be happy with your Droid or Inc. no need to bash the other..lol

2.47funk

Reaction score
Why I switched

First of all i am a noob, so take this for what it's worth. I traded in my Moto Droid for the incredible because i was still within my 30 days to return. The physical keyboard was not a deal breaker, although I liked it, and the specs were better. I figured a rooted and modded droid could hang with an incredible, but I figured when the Incredible gets rooted and modded, what could that do? So that's basically it. And I like Sense a lot. Just my thoughts. So when we can root and mod, this thing should be sick!

peace

BzB

Reaction score
The draw of the incredible vs my droid (@1ghz) is that its smoother and more refined all over. I mean with everything you do on the inc vs the droid it's noticeable. In the htc apps, in the scrolling, the virtual keyboard, and just navigating the ui. Sense doesn't impact the performance of this phone one bit and it also doesn't get in the way of the android os "feel" either.
I wouldn't say the inc is faster than an oc droid, but its always on its toes and almost never stutters. In an all out sprint they're neck and neck. The inc seems more effortless though.

Where the droid is a smart phone that wears boots and a hard hat, the incredible is a phone that wears a casual outfit with really comfortable shoes.